Subscriber Discussion

Thrive - Who Are They?

NS
Nick StClair
Sep 30, 2013

I have a client taking 10 or so floors of a highrise.

The building owner is saying they need to use "Thrive" for video. I've never heard of it. Heck, I can't even find it on google.

Anyone ever heard of it? If so, any experiences? I've never been unable to google a product before, so that's certainly a new experience.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 30, 2013
IPVM

Thirve is a recent entrant that made a lot of noise last year at the trade shows, but seems to be heavy on marketing / light on real technological differentiation. Brian, please elaborate / comment.

Brian Rhodes
Sep 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Thrive's distinguishing attribute is offering monitored video, with some RMR to the reseller tied up in the deal.

If I'm a THRIVE reseller, I sell video that is monitored in an off-site central station (even when stored on site), and a chunk of the monthly service fee goes to back to the dealer.

The hardware is OEM'd Hikvision, and a mix of other private labeled devices (NAS, Panoramics, etc), and they use various analytics onboard cameras, but the monitoring station is in Texas.

Mark McRae
Sep 30, 2013
Inaxsys Security Systems

I've seen their cameras before, they're UDP. We tested them a while back and they were good value for the money - interesting built-in analytics on some of the cameras.

Brian Rhodes
Sep 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hello Mark, thanks for adding the detail on UDP. When I talked with Thrive a year ago, they also reluctantly described HIK as an OEM. That UDP link you share looks and is listed like Thrive's flagship fisheye, however!

Mark McRae
Sep 30, 2013
Inaxsys Security Systems

there's at least 2 models that are UDP - the box model is the one I recognized that we had tested

Dale Bullough
Sep 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

I forgot to add. I work for Stealth. Apologies. Quick reply. Thrive is event based where we watch in real time. We use some propietary technology to achieve scale but there is a human watching your cameras as events occur and making a decision as whether to take action or ignore. Difference is time. Proactive in real time, reactive in event based. I understand if you pull this off of the board do to the fact that I work there.

Thanks

JH
John Honovich
Sep 30, 2013
IPVM

Dale,

Your post is fine. I am happy to have the company / manufacturer participate as long as they are open about who they are, and not sneakily try to misrepresent themselves.

That said, remote monitoring using analytics is not novel. The question is why your implementation different / better? Lower cost? Higher accuracy? What?

Can you give an example of a common use case / application for Thrive?

Dale Bullough
Sep 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Thank you John. Simplest answer is we have a much higher degree of accuracy in a shorter time frame. Analytics are great. But mostly old news. Nothing can replace human intelligence. We are expensive but our clients love us and we are growing like a wild fire. Check out our videos on our web site. I can elaborate more tomorrow when I am not mobile. Thanks again. Love your site. Very helpful.

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 02, 2013

"Thrive is event based where we watch in real time."

Your explanation of this appears to be, "We use some propietary technology to achieve scale but there is a human watching your cameras as events occur and making a decision as whether to take action or ignore."

Please explain: Do your agents stare at camera screens? If so, how is that scalable?

If your agents are in front of screens and are alerted by your 'proprietary technology to achieve scale', how is that any different than 'event based' monitoring that you claim to be different from?

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 02, 2013

One more thing I forgot to ask: Is the 'proprietary technology' actually Stealths.... Or do you OEM this technology from another company.... Like Geovision, for instance?

JE
Jim Elder
Sep 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Does Thrive require to use UDP cameras? WHat if you just want the service (which sounds interesting)? Also, does anyone have any real experience with them?

Brian Rhodes
Sep 30, 2013
IPVMU Certified

They way I understand the offerings, a customer is restricted to Thrive cameras only. (Not UDP/HIK/etc)

Jon Dillabaugh
Sep 30, 2013
Pro Focus LLC

I had to LOL at the OP because here in Toledo, OH there is an internet marketing group that was recently formed by some people I know called Thrive.

I am about 101% sure this isn't who you were referring to though...

Dale Bullough
Oct 02, 2013
IPVMU Certified
I should have written. "Proprietary [methodology]" on OEM platforms. Good eye on the detail. Thanks. Hope that helps.
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 02, 2013

That answers the 2nd, less important question, but ignores the 1st:

How is what Stealth does different than other monitoring entities, if your 'technology' is what is identifying events and delivering them to the live agent for action?

Dale Bullough
Oct 02, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Same answer for both. If you are fishing for a specific OEM, many offer similar analytics and we use a few.

Thanks

U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 02, 2013

What I'm fishing for is clarification of your original comment. You claimed, "Thrive is event based where we watch in real time."

Based on your subsequent comments, it appears that Stealth monitoring is also event based (like most all other monitoring entities), which undermines your original comment.

If your 'technology' or 'methodology' is alerting your live agents to potentially actionable events, then please tell us how Stealth is not event based.

Thanks

Dale Bullough
Oct 02, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Trained agents watcing live feeds in mass. Labor intensive but works well.

Thanks

Dale Bullough
Oct 02, 2013
IPVMU Certified
I should have written. "Proprietary [methodology]" on OEM platforms. Good eye on the detail. Thanks. Hope that helps.
Dale Bullough
Oct 02, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Didn't mean for that go up three times. Phone is not nsvigating site very smoothly

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions