Subscriber Discussion

Anyone Else Having Issues With Axis Companion Domes/Axis Companion?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 16, 2016

Thought I'd post here since Axis tech support is closed till Monday and I'm sitting here scratching my head. I hate when technology gets the best of me. I'm supposed to install an Axis Companion 4TB recorder and 2 Companion Dome V cameras on Wednesday. In preparation, I sat down to configure them today. Only the configuration did not go as it should have. Does it ever?

I can't connect to the cameras via Axis Companion because ACC is telling me that the devices are not supported. I'm on the latest version of ACC (3.21) and the latest firmware on the Companion Dome (6.15.1).

I can directly connect to the cameras via the web interface EXCEPT no image shows up in either MJPEG or H.264. Now I used to use IE as a browser to connect but now it tells me to use Firefox or Google Chrome instead. Only, neither one of those is working to display an image. Firefox allows me to get to the setup screen and make configurations but never displays an image and Google Chrome doesn't take me to anything. It just loads infinitely. Both browsers are up to date with the latest versions.

I read the post here about how there is a new web interface that just rolled out in Axis products that doesn't require plugins but I can't reach it. I still get taken to the old setup page.

I've attached screenshots of some of this. I'm thinking I'm missing something because receiving 2 defective Axis cameras seems strange to me.....

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 17, 2016

I don't buy proprietary solutions, especially from a company who built their success on an open ecosystem. On that note, try upgrading the firmware.

(1)
UI
Jul 17, 2016

Thanks for the tip. The firmware was up to date but I figured it out. I factory reset the cameras and everything worked from that point. Im a little annoyed that I didn't try that first thing but I suppose my brain likes to take off on the weekends too.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I factory reset the cameras...

Of course you shouldn't need to, makes you wonder how it got it the state.

Also weird is how would resetting the camera to defaults make it change from serving the old interface to the new.

At least you are good now.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 17, 2016
IPVM

1, that is strange. We tested the Companion Dome on the same 6.15.1 version so I cannot guess what is wrong. I've forwarded this to Ethan to see if he has any suggestions.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 17, 2016
IPVM

Btw, technically the latest Companion Dome firmware is 6.15.4 as this is the service release for Axis' critical security vulnerability. Does this make a difference? I don't know but minimally, since it patches the defect, I would upgrade to it.

UI
Jul 17, 2016

Yes, once I reset to factory defaults and the new interface popped up, I was able to bring them into Axis Companion and by adding a new site it installed the latest version of firmware. It was strange but working now.

Btw, I found there to be a lack of documentation on the Companion line from Axis's website. Other than some pictures and 1-2-3 steps where you plug in a few wires and it all magically works, there wasn't much else to go on. I realized that the interface was off when I searched IPVM and came across the "Axis New Interface" article and revisited the review you guys did of the Companion line. So thank you, those 2 things saved me from spending an installation day on the phone.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 17, 2016
IPVM

Glad to hear you got it work and that we could help a little.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Yes, once I reset to factory defaults and the new interface popped up, I was able to bring them into Axis Companion and by adding a new site it installed the latest version of firmware.

Long shot but maybe some pages or js were still in the browser cache for that default 192.168.0.90 address from a different Axis camera?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions