Subscriber Discussion

Anybody Had A Problem With Cisco 2960x For Poe+ Enabled IP PTZ Cameras ?

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 20, 2017

Does anyone have or had a problem powering PoE+ enabled IP PTZ cameras with Cisco 2960x ? 

Some of my customers have issue powering the PTZ camera. Booting up works well but after a few minutes the connection to camera web page doesn't work.    So I've checked the power drawn at the switch and found it's 15.4Watt.  

But I guess the power should be flexible depending on the requirement of the camera. When the camera pan, tilt or zoom it needs more power, which will request for more watt from the switch. 

But in order to resolve this issue do I have to hardcode the power per port ?  The PoE power per port and overall is enough by the switch spec. 

Thank you!

Jon Dillabaugh
May 20, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

I'm wondering if the switch is mid-detecting the PoE usage of the camera? What I would do is use a midspan to rule out the PoE issue. See if a midspan fixes the issue or not. Then contact Cisco and Axis and see if there is a fix. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 21, 2017

try turning off CDP and enable LLDP.

(3)
(2)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
May 30, 2017

Thanks a lot!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
May 30, 2017

I'm assuming based on your reply that you were able to resolve your issue? Is that correct?

I ask because I have the same problem.

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 01, 2017

Yes, right! You have to follow the suggestion to resolve the issue.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jun 01, 2017

Even Cisco's own PTZ's require LLDP be enabled to properly negotiate power draw.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
Jun 01, 2017

PoE (not PTZ) is a low level IEEE 802.3 standard.  It happens before network traffic is transmitted.  I doubt LLDP contributes to power negotiation.

(had a bounty offered if I could write an exploit that blew up a PoE switch, did some research on this a while back.)

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Jun 01, 2017

This is direct from the 6930 release notes.

LLDP Support for Power Negotiation

The 2800 series and 6930 PTZ IP cameras require PoE+ to receive sufficient power for operation. 802.3af PoE power is insufficient for proper operation. To obtain sufficient power with PoE+, the switch providing the power must have Link Layer Discovery Protocol (LLDP) and LLDP-MED power management features turned ON.

(1)
U
Undisclosed
May 31, 2017
look at the network traffic. even if it's powering off the camera look at the network traffic. don't assume it's a power issue. In the cisco switch change it's event logging to loudest possible level (on the console perhaps) to see if it's throwing useful error messages. I concur with the "try a midspan" suggestion to eliminate PoE as an issue.
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jun 01, 2017

I've visited Cisco web page and found out the difference between CDP and LLDP. So I was able to resolve the PoE+ power issue for the PTZ camera.  It seems that few people knew about that at least people around me. 

Anyway, thank you for your advice.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Oct 17, 2017

UE1,

I'm still experiencing this issue on a 2960X switch.

I disabled CDP in global config by doing the following

no cdp run

then I enabled lldp by running the following

lldp run

I even went into the interface and tried the following

lldp receive

lldp transmit

But the camera keeps coming up and then going back down after around 20 seconds.

Anything you see that I might be missing?

Thanks for your help!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions