Subscriber Discussion

Anyone Tried Dahua HDCVI?

KF
Keith Fraley
Mar 27, 2014

I installed my first HDCVI system about a week ago and I must say Im very impressed. My install consisted of the following

• 8 Channel Dahua HDCVI DVR
  • 6 Dahua 1.3mp 720p domes

The reasons I like the system.

1. HD resolution
  2. Installation is the same as Analog
  3. The cost is lower than Analog
  4. Customer loved it.

Dislikes

1. Limited camera choices at the moment. Only one lens that I can find 3.6mm. No varifocal.
  2. Thats about it.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried...

WF
Wahid Faizzad
Mar 27, 2014

Hi Keith. Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have a small test going on using a good but cheap Chinese HD-CVI system (not Dahua). The cameras and recorder come from different manufacturers. 2 x 1280*720P Dome, 2 x 1280*720P Bullet verifocal, 1 x 8channel HD-CVI DVR.

Cameras are IP66 rated, The system works great.

Almost love it. HD quality, cheap, and very stable. No working iPhone/ Android App yet :-(

KF
Keith Fraley
Mar 27, 2014

The dahua hdcvi dvrs use their same app as their normal dvrs. idmss and gdmss. The dahua 4 and 8 channel hdcvi dvr is $93 and $130 respectively. How much cheaper can it get?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 27, 2014
IPVM

Correct me if I am wrong but HDCVI is a Dahua trademark. It's a type of HD SDI that claims extended range and is being 'standardized' by the HDcctv Alliance.

WF
Wahid Faizzad
Mar 27, 2014

Dahua have not release there HD-CVI products here in Denmark.

Forside - Secpro Sikring a/s Ptz is representing Dahua in Danmark, and they don´t know if HD-CVI is released or exist.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 27, 2014
Pro Focus LLC

Keith, are you sure that HDCVI is cheaper than analog?

KF
Keith Fraley
Mar 27, 2014
Depends on what you pay for quaility analog. Hdcvi prices 4 ch dvr. $93 8 channel. $133 Cameras. $61
Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 27, 2014
Pro Focus LLC

Those prices are about what we pay for lower end analog, so I am pretty surprised at how inexpensive it is.

Tobias Steiger
Mar 27, 2014

We in Switzerland have a strong markup I worry about selling HDCVI because if the clients google HDCVI and see directly the dahua prices :-) is there any idea to solve this problem? per example name it SDI 2.0?

KF
Keith Fraley
Mar 27, 2014
We simply sell it as 720p HD. We dont get into the technology unless we have a technical customer. I dont see any reason why hdcvi won't simply replace hdcvi. Jon do you have plans to test?
JH
John Honovich
Mar 27, 2014
IPVM

Keith, where are you getting Dahua HDCVI? My understanding is that in the US, it is not directly available.

I am just curious. I can believe it would be inexpensive, I just don't know where it is being offered.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 27, 2014
Pro Focus LLC

I know where to buy some from an OEM (I don't work for them, I'm just a loyal customer).

Nellys' Security

Carl Lindgren
Mar 28, 2014

Formerly Nelly's Surplus. We sold them quite a few used cameras in the past.

KF
Keith Fraley
Mar 28, 2014

Jon,

Let me make a correction. I dont think you can buy Dahua branded products in US. When I am referring to Dahua HDCVI I am referring to OEM Dahua. Which is basically the same product with no brand name. And you are correct. Nelly is a great place to get HDCVI at a very low price. I am a loyal customer also.

Most US resellers only have up to 8 channel DVR models. I should be receiving a 16 channel DVR in the mail tomorrow directly from China.

-Keith

MI
Matt Ion
Mar 28, 2014

If this is a "branch" of SDI, is it safe to say it uses coax cable as well?

Putting on my double-sided "Installer" and "System Designer" cap, reliance on coax cabling is, IMO, one of SDI's main drawbacks: it's fine (in concept, if not necessarily operation) for retrofitting on existing infrastructure, but for a new installation or even an upgrade where I'm adding more cameras, a need to pull in more coax is far from attractive - it's an expensive, bulky, heavy, hard-to-work-with, single-purpose cable that won't be any good for anything other than supported camera transports... and I still need to run a separate power feed, which makes large bundles even more troublesome.

At least with 960H analog, I could presumably use baluns with Cat5e or Cat6, which is cheap, plentiful, easy to pull in large bundles, lets me run signal and power over a single run, and useful for all manner of other things (including VGA or HDMI to a remote monitor).

Of course, for me, the point-to-point infrastructure is a major drawback to all these systems as well. Analog gives me at least SOME ability to run multilpe signals on a single multi-pair cable, while IP's ability to "consolidate" bi-directional communications of all sorts (not just cameras) over a single transport has saved me major design headaches in some recent jobs.

Jon Dillabaugh
Mar 28, 2014
Pro Focus LLC

Matt, Sean from Nelly's has told me that the HD-CVI units work with CAT5e via baluns as well.

MI
Matt Ion
Mar 28, 2014

That's a plus... everything still must be home-run though.

KF
Keith Fraley
Mar 28, 2014

Another great benifit of HDCVI is the ability to control OSD menu from DVR are even remotely in CMS. I think this feature is only avalible on dahua or dahua oem hdcvi.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 28, 2014
IPVM

Thanks everyone for the input. Good discussion!

I talked with Nelly Security about HDCVI availability and pricing vs IP. They mentioned that their HDCVI cameras are priced around $75/pc and 4 ch DVR is priced at $113 and 8 ch DVR is priced at $165. By contrast, the lowest cost IP camera (1.3MP) is ~$130. NVRs are around the same price as HDCVI DVRs but require an additional PoE switch. So apples to apples, HDCVI is notably less expensive than IP.

We are going to lineup a test. Just like we did with Dahua IP camera testing, we'll look to buy/obtain an 'original' Dahua system to do so.

FL
Francis Lurch
Apr 04, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Yes I am currently testing Dahua HDCVI prior to customer deployment and very happy with features and costs. Main feature for me is long cabling distance (1,600ft.) compared to HDSDI. Only dissapointment is that I cannot get from US supplier a camera with audio built in to take advantage of the audio over coax capability of HDCVI.

WF
Wahid Faizzad
Apr 15, 2014

Anyone have knowledge, whether Dahua HDCVI is available in EU?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions