Subscriber Discussion

Alternatives To Arecont For Outdoor 180 Streetview?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 03, 2015

We've used the AV8185DN for several years in this outdoor application. At that time it was about the only offering for this type of application. Telephone Pole mounted, monitoring street view in 180 degree of coverage. Have had decent video recording but the failure rate has been frustrating. Just recently had a few more fail, and I'm wondering if there's been a new alternative. Most of the other panoramics I've looked into are Fisheye, and don't lend themselves to horizontal viewing, nor do they have decent night vision. More for center of a room 360 coverage. I ran the camera finder and the Best Match, but didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 03, 2015
IPVM

There's the Scallop multi-imager 180s though they have low frame rate at full resolution.

I am hearing a number of manufacturers are announcing multi-imagers at ISC West. Pelco has already publicly mentioned this though not officially announced it yet.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 03, 2015

Thanks, and see where you edited it to multi imager, which is more accurate but not mandatory, if there's a new technology out there I don't know about. I've used the scallop and found it (if you can believe this) worse than the Arecont!

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 03, 2015
IPVM

The Scallops tested poorly for us, so not surprised.

The new Panasonic 4K panoramic is quite good, but it's still one imager, so there's limits in details / pixel density.

Vincent Tong
Apr 03, 2015

Digital Watchdog just released a 180 3 sensor camera. I haven't tried it but it is the only other alternative that i can think of.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 03, 2015
IPVM

Vincent, it has a 1080p max output stream despite having (3) 1080p imagers, so wide FoV but low pixel density.

DW has another multi-imager coming out that is a 'true' / 'full' res one.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 03, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Acti has several multi-imager models coming out soon as well.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 03, 2015
IPVM

According to their own listing, it is scheduled for November 2015.

ACTi has been showing multi-imager models on their website from at least last August (2014), as Ethan and I discussed this over email back then.

I am glad to hear they are going to release them, but it would be great if they actually do it.

EM
Erkko Mitt
Apr 03, 2015

Avigilon has one: LINK

Unfortunately its still limited to JPEG2000 compression.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 03, 2015
IPVM

Also, Avigilon's is restricted to their own VMS only.

It's really old at this point, hopefully they have a new series this year.

(2)
U
Undisclosed #4
May 14, 2015

I understand Avigilon now has an h.264 version that just came out.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 04, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Here's an odd one from Stardot:

20MP Dual-hemispheric, vandal resistant, multi-imager, 180 degree camera. Seems like a natural on a pole.  Seems like a waste of space as well though.  Available now.

(1)
MC
Michael Cogbill
Apr 09, 2015

Have you looked at the new Axis Q6000-E? It is a 360 view with 4 multi-imagers and can also add a PTZ camera...

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Apr 09, 2015

Technically "can also add a PTZ camera" is not correct. You're required to use it with a PTZ, if I'm not mistaken.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Apr 09, 2015
IPVM

Michael, yes, for that model, you are required to use a PTZ. It is actually a PTZ accessory.

Axis Launches Multi-Imager Panoramic

JH
John Honovich
May 14, 2015
IPVM
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions