Subscriber Discussion

Any Suggestions For A Cheap Fiber Termination Kit?

DM
David Matyas
Jul 27, 2017

We were running a pre-terminated fiber cable with an LC connector. Overnight, it appears the head was ripped off. My tech knows how to terminate, but we dont have a kit. We are not going to terminate often, so we would be looking for something cheap.

Thank you

AW
Amos Wipf
Jul 27, 2017

The cheapest I have seen a fiber kit is over $1K.

There are companies that will send out  a tech. to terminate ends for ~$80 an end, at least that's about the average we have spent. Probably what you want to look into.

The "cheap" kits are usually crimp on technology. We spent ~$2,500 on the Corning kit 4-5 years ago and have since replaced it with a $4,500 fusion splicer because the crimp on system proved to be very problematic. Fusion splicing is the way to go!

DM
David Matyas
Jul 27, 2017

What connectors do you use with the fusion splicer? I would be needing two LC end on that side of the cable.

Thank you

AW
Amos Wipf
Jul 27, 2017

Buy most of our pigtails from Fibertronics. You have to know what the fiber type is.

If you are hiring someone then usually the connector/pigtail is supplied.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jul 29, 2017

I'm curious, what companies send out techs to terminate fiber ends? We'd love to use a service like this.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

In many cases, 'telcoms' or even utility companies have the equipment or crews to do small jobs.  In my area, they subcontract it out to very small companies that are hard to find in a phonebook or web search,

They may not be quick to schedule or cheap, but giving the phone or cable company a call could be helpful.

AW
Amos Wipf
Jul 31, 2017

Last used Falcon Data Networks for a project in NY.

They charged us $65 an end.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

You should consider a Field-Terminated Fiber product.  Those kits allow for broken ends to be replaced without expensive fusion splicers for the cost of a kit and a few ends (<$650 is common, and these LC ends are ~$10 ea), but they may degrade over time.

Many structured cable installers hate those things, because they commonly need to be replaced every 5 - 10 years, but even then the cost may be less than subcontracting someone to fusion splice one or two connectors.

(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jul 27, 2017

I would recommend AFL and their FASTConnect solution.   We have several hundred FASTConnect ends installed without issue no fusion splicer needed. 

(1)
AW
Amos Wipf
Jul 27, 2017

This system is good. The high precision cleaver is the key component. 

Not exactly "cheap" but I would recommend this over the crimp on products.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Jul 27, 2017

Rent a fusion splicer and splice pre terminated pigtails (i.e. patch cords cut in half) onto the ends of fiber. 

Remember you get what you pay for.. A cheep splice done incorrectly with non-precise parts can create a high optical loss level in the link and if not mechanically secure may not be acceptable to the end customer. 

MA
Michael Amaro, P.E., PSP, CPTED
Jul 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I used to work for a fiber company who rented all sort of equipment http://www.fiberinstrumentsales.com/fusion-splicer-rentals 

They also have a quick connector (pretermed and polished)  http://www.fiberinstrumentsales.com/connectivity/fis-bobtail/fis-lc-bobtailtm-pre-polished-connector-50-m-multimode.html

Hope that helps. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 30, 2017

Fluke, Corning  have a cheep kit under 2 k , and complete 

Most are around 1k to 4 k , and require training, certification and commitment to buy

CORNING M67-003

Fiber Optic Ftth Tool Kit Fc-6s Fiber Cleaver Optical Power Meter 10mw Pen-type Visual Fault Finder

Basic Fusion Splicing Tool Kit

BC
Brandon Coleman
Jul 31, 2017

If you're not going to terminate often then it may be a good idea to pay someone else to do it. AFL and Belden will run specials where if you buy enough connectors from them they'll throw in a kit for free but since you don't do alot of fiber it's not a good deal for you.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 31, 2017
Pro Focus LLC

Contact FIS at http://www.fiberinstrumentsales.com/

We took a training class with John Bruno and learned a ton about FO. I would highly suggest taking the Fiber I/II class. They hold them regularly near their main offices in upstate NY (Brightside on Raquette Lake). We took ours in Detroit.

Not only is John very knowledgeable, but he is one hell of a funny guy too. Tons of character.

FIS will surely be able to help you figure out the best solution.

jc
james cordell
Jul 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hello,

When having an access control system installed the lead tech wanted to attempt to install the terminations and rented kit to do it.  Wasn't successful, contracted local company and 21 year old came out and had the ends terminate in 15 minutes.

So there are local contractors who can do this quickly and cheaply compared to kit.  If they aren't in phone book check with CCTV vendors who should be able to recommend one. 

The lead tech is very sharp and we have used him/company many times since, point is Fiber optic termination is a skill that requires proper training and tools. 

V/r

Kelly

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions