Subscriber Discussion

Any Recommendations On An Inexpensive Rack-Mounted Nas/Server/Pc?

SR
Sean Reed
Jan 28, 2017

Any recommendations on a rack-mounted NAS/server/PC that's not too expensive and can run the VMS? I'll have a rack in the media/network closet, so I'd like to rack mount everything I can. 

Everything I've found that's designed for a 19" rack is $2,000+. I could always do something like the DW VMAX and have the AV guys build a rack mount; but I like the clean look of a unit designed for a rack.

NOTICE: This comment was moved from an existing discussion: Surveillance For Whole House Remodel

BS
Bob Schenck
Jan 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Lenovo RS140 or HP DL20 are cheap rack servers under $1000.  The problem is you probably want more hard drive mounting space than those small rack servers provide.  The other problem with the entry level rack servers is that they tend to have very loud fans because they are only 1U high and are made for front to back airflow.    

Since this is for your own DIY install you can also assemble your own PC.  There are a ton of home theater quality PC cases.  Lian Li makes a nice aluminum case with rack mounts.

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 30, 2017

If you're already looking at DW VMAX, I'm assuming you're talking about their IP version, not their analog DVR's.  If so, why aren't you looking at DW's primary IP hardware solution, their e-racks?  https://digital-watchdog.com/page/blackjack-page/

(1)
SR
Sean Reed
Jan 30, 2017

I haven't been able to get clear pricing, but what I've found implied that the S-RACK and P-RACK were $2,000+. If that's the case, it's more than I'd like to spend.

Ethan Ace
Jan 30, 2017

You can find barebones Supermicro rack PCs for well under $1000. Obviously, not including an OS or HDDs. I don't have a specific source for them, as it's been a long time since I looked for a Supermicro PC, but they're all over the internet.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions