Subscriber Discussion

Any IP Cameras With "Gen-Lock" Capabilities?

Lynn Harold
Apr 13, 2017

I am looking for some IP camera options that support "gen-lock", meaning they are capable of receiving external synchronization over the network.   Any thoughts?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 13, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genlock

Lynn Harold
Apr 13, 2017

Thanks - already read that.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 13, 2017

For sure!

Was just trying to save other folks a few clicks.

Seeing alot of analog references and nothing in any of the web UIs of any major mfg IP cameras I have at my disposal. 

Lynn Harold
Apr 13, 2017

The more I read, it seems this may be dated technology from a bid spec that was regurgitated from over 10 years ago.  Who asks for Broadware anymore??  This is probably a moot discussion.  Thanks.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 14, 2017
IPVM

Who asks for Broadware anymore??

Next month will be the 10 year anniversary of Cisco acquiring Broadware and I don't think anyone will celebrate it....

I remember a few years back talking to Cisco people saying that they totally rewrote their VMS and that it was no longer based on Broadware, which made sense since Broadware was, even by then, an ancient architecture.

I would say it surprises me that a bid spec asks for Broadware in 2017 but unfortunately dated specs are far too commonplace.

U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hybrid IP/Broadcast cameras still have it, like the Panasonic 4k Ptz.

Though gen-lock doesn't mean anything in the context of IP video streams, as they are asynchronous by nature.  Genlock/blackburst is for aligning phase between potentially synchronous signals.

I believe that Pelco analog cameras with an AC inlet had an option to sync off the incoming 60hz mains, which achieves the same thing as long as the cameras share power.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 14, 2017

My bet is on a recycled spec with no serious thought given to the application.

Does your IP camera also require a CCD sensor, OSD, 1Vp-p 75ohm signalling, adjustable pedestal, >50DB SNR, ATW, 24VAC power, etc etc...

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Apr 14, 2017

So common...

Saw one recently that had Axis M3026 and Axis M3007-Ps specified as recording at 4CIF for 30 days.  Many other hilarious items were in there as well.  Needless to say, I based my storage off of that FUBAR spec.  I like change orders when bad consultants are involved.  If you are being paid to write a spec at least try to write more than 3 lines of it or understand the technology.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Apr 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified

...1Vp-p 75ohm signalling...

Don't look now but 1Vp-p 75ohm is making a comeback!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions