Subscriber Discussion

Help For Someone Just Starting Out In Cameras

SD
Sonny Davis
Jul 09, 2014

Hi all, I have been installing data and fiber optic cabling in commercial and industrial applications for a while and would like to expanding into cameras.

I plan on going after jobs with 4 or 5 cameras or less to start and think I should offer a decent analog and IP camera

I think the camera choice has me more confused than the actual installation since there seem to be quite a few to pick from, so I have a few questions

• How do I go about choosing a line or two of each to carry?
  • When selling or quoting the job, do you offer them multiple camera choices or just one?
  • Do you quote the cabling job separately and then add the cameras to the job cost?

I'm Doing my first job next week but I didn't specify anything just cabling and installing
8 LTS CMIP5333-S 3.0MP VF IR Bullet Network Cameras and a Embedded Plug&Play NVR

Thanks in advance

Sonny

JH
John Honovich
Jul 09, 2014
IPVM

Sonny, welcome and thanks for asking for our advice.

To your questions:

"How do I go about choosing a line or two of each to carry?"

It's a great question and there is a number of factors that go into. I started a new discussion just on that: How Do I Choose What Surveillance Lines To Carry?

"When selling or quoting the job, do you offer them multiple camera choices or just one?"

Most integrators just offer a single option, less time to create, less complex for the user. We've discussed this here: Should Integrators Be Offering Multiple Options / Quotes?

"Do you quote the cabling job separately and then add the cameras to the job cost?"

This get into how you break down your items, with many preferring, especially on smaller jobs to do 1 or 2 figures at most (X for labor, Y for product). We've discussed these issues here: Should Quotes Include Line Item Price Breakdowns?

Btw, LTS is most like an OEM / relabeller of Hikvision. You can buy Hikvision directly though I am not sure, in your case, if the pricing or support will be any better.

SD
Sonny Davis
Jul 10, 2014

Thanks John, that helps a lot

Great answer

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions