Subscriber Discussion

Any Experience With Card Readers In Direct Sunlight Or High Temp. Areas?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 13, 2017

I have a customer in Panama that has two card readers (HID RP-40's) that appear to be overheating.  When the sun hits them directly, they will not function. If you shade them for 15 minutes to let them cool down, they recover and work normally.  There is no good option for permanently shading them because aesthetics are a big deal at this location.  

Does anyone have a recommendation for a reader that might sustain the high temperatures and humidity that equipment in tropical areas like this have to endure?  This is a software house system and we are dealing with Indala cards if any of that matters. 

JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I am an absolute noob to access control -Disclosure

But here in GA, It does get fairly hot in summer. I have seen tons of AWID readers for gate access in the middle of a driveway. Usually they have a little cover but only an inch or two. Depending on location they can get direct sunlight for hours at a time. Never heard of them overheating.

Brian Karas
Apr 13, 2017
IPVM

Maybe a Reader Cover in white would help cut down on heat absorption from the sun?

Brian Rhodes
Apr 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I have seen these Farpointe P-410 readers used in an industrial kiln application where the avg temp is ~130° F.  They are rated for a max of a bit more.

Scott Lindley
Apr 14, 2017
Farpointe Data, Inc.

UI #1, here's a few other things to consider:

Power supplies: Are the power supplies mounted to a south facing, sun exposed wall?  Even when mounted indoors and out of the sun, they could be overheating. 

Interference:  Is there any other piece of equipment that switches on when the sun is shining?  This piece of equipment could be generating some form of interference that is affecting the ability of the reader to read the card. 

Cards: Are the cards exposed to direct sunlight when they are being presented to the reader?  Theory here is that sunlight is affecting the operation of the card's internal IC.  To test shield the cards with something like a wallet, black craft paper or between two hands, blocking all sunlight, and then present to the reader.

Keep in mind the readers are rated to 105 degrees F.  Much higher than that and the solder will start to reflow!

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions