Subscriber Discussion

Ants In My Camera - How To Fix?

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Jan 12, 2018

Hello,

I have an infestation of ants in my camera. Any suggestions on how to get them out without damaging the camera?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 12, 2018

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

They’re inside the camera, not just around it?

How are they getting in and out of the camera?

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jan 12, 2018

pseudo install antPoison.tar

In all seriousness though what is the cost of the camera? If it is a cheaper camera (> $300) it will be most cost efficient to replace the camera. Just my option though. 

Edited for correctness

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Pseudo Install antPoison.tar

sudo install antPoison.tar?

pseudo install antPoison.tar

What system does that run on?

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Maybe he should just run the debugger ;)

(10)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Ants are in your camera because there is a source of food there, likely other dead insects.  Make sure you clean the insides out before you try to repel them.  Also, you need to kill the ants you see, but also deal with the ants that have been inside the camera before - they remember food spots for a long time!

Do this:

1. Remove and blow out the insides of the camera with compressed air.  Try to get everything out - live ants, dead ants & bugs, mud, refuse, cobwebs, leaf pieces, everything.

2. After you hang the camera back up, take a sponge and wipe down the wall or mounting surface with a repellent solution, like this:

The solution may dry and leave a powdery film behind, so be careful not to use it if aesthetics is an issue.  There are other 'non-residue' solutions that might work for this.

No need to soak the area, but apply the sponge in a 2' radius from where the camera is hung.  Wiping that far out destroys the 'scent trail' they rely on for navigation and creates a no-man's land barrier they shouldn't want to cross in the future.

3. It may take more than once to stop the ants.  Keep an eye on if they return for a few weeks.  

(9)
Brian Rhodes
Jan 12, 2018
IPVMU Certified

Also - don't use traps.

Traps often include bait mixed with poison, which actually may attract more ants.  Rather, Clean things up, then repel them.  It works!

(3)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 13, 2018
IPVMU Certified

If the camera has even a moderate Ingress* Protection level, say IP4X or greater, that should be sufficient to inhibit the free passage of macroscopic ants into the camera itself.

Note I intentionally avoided saying “Insect Protection level”.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Jan 15, 2018

Ants got into one of our Dahua cameras which was outside, by eating through the weatherproof plug at the back of the dome. There was no organic source of food inside. It seemed they were after the warmth from the electronic components. They redistributed pieces of the weatherproof plug onto the different electronic parts inside the dome, sticking them onto them, apparently to shield themselves from shocks.

First step in handling was to clean all the ants out of it.

Then put silicon sealant to replace the eaten plug.

And put some cayenne pepper in the dome to deter them from coming back. They haven't returned.

We also had ants get in a UPS at that same external location. We did a similar handling and haven't had a problem since.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions