Subscriber Discussion

Anti-Vandal / Vandal Proof Ratings?

AT
Andre Tournoux
Feb 14, 2013

Does an "Anti Vandal/ Vandal" rating exist such as the IP rating?

How could you categorized a camera as an "Anti Vandal/ Vandal"?

I guess it should be about Glass, housing and support resistance factor but I would like to be a bit more specific when entering public bidding for example.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 14, 2013
IPVM

Yes, the metric for vandal ratings are "IKs" typically ranging from 1 to 10 with with 'super' rating of IK10++ sometimes listed.

Beware that many manufacturers just say 'vandal' and do not actually quantify its level.

See this section on vandal ratings.

Let us know if we can elaborate.

AT
Andre Tournoux
Feb 14, 2013

Dear John, I only saw the IK rating one time. There is really a lack from Manufacturers in this aspect. Thanks again.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 14, 2013
IPVM

If you ask them directly (at least an SE), they should know or be able to get that information to you. If they don't know, that's a bad sign. On the other hand, even if they do say it's IK10, I am not sure there is any 3rd party way to verify that. Actually, that would be a useful thing for UL to do, as it is a straightforward mechanical test.

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #1
Feb 15, 2013

To provide further uncertainty, a variety desriptions are used: vandal proof, vandal resitant, anti-vandal, tamper resistant, tamper proof, etc.

JH
John Honovich
Feb 15, 2013
IPVM

Good point, super confusing. I wonder, though, do people have much practical problems with vandal resistant cameras not being resistant enough? i.e., "I bought this vandal dome but someone hit it once and it broke."

In other words, is this a big enough practical problem to push for more attention?

AT
Andre Tournoux
Feb 15, 2013

Quiet frankly when you see the IK rating table.

I guess it would not resist any direct hit intended to damage the camera. For example an IK10 camera would not resist a baseball bat hit, even from a kid.

Now I am curious to know about bullet proof ratings...

JH
John Honovich
Feb 15, 2013
IPVM

Andre, see our post on bullet resistant cameras.

James Talmage
Feb 17, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Almost all our cameras are installed in very rough areas. We have never had anybody try a sledge or baseball bat. Most people vandalizing the cameras actually try to steal them and sell them. One guy actually spent a couple days inspecting and finding the correct tools to take them down. He successfully stole three from the hallway of his apartment complex. We have video of him exiting his apartment, setting up his ladder, and taking down the camera, all while staring straight into the lens (people never cease to amaze). There is not a lot you can do if someone is going to spend that kind of time. However, most guys just go at them with a crow bar. In that case, I'm usually more concerned with the backing material than the camera. Nothing will stop the determined.

It does seem that IP camera manufacturers tend to use thinner domes than I'm used to from analog vendors like Speco. My guess is that thinner domes provide better optical characteristics.

While I'm sure there are some crazy robust enclosures out there, a can of spray paint is a cheap way to render any cam useless.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions