Another Hikvision Employee Hiding His Hikvision Employment

JH
John Honovich
Aug 25, 2017
IPVM

One theme we have noticed over the past few years is Hikvision (USA, in particular) employees hiding their Hikvision employment. Recall, for example, Hikvision Big Hire - Ex Ingram Micro Exec.

And here is another:

No Hikvision on his profile nor on his current work listing, just a 'dot':

[UPDATE: He has now updated his LinkedIn Profile to show he is working at Hikvision.]

It only came to light with Hikvision's new blog post that featured him and Hikvision's push into health care:

Related to this, we have received numerous reports that Hikvision continues to heavily recruit and are willing to pay significant premiums over market norms but are struggling to attract top candidates.

But the least you can do, if you accept their job, is show pride in your employment, no?

Vote / Poll:

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 25, 2017

No one wants to publicly broadcast that they sold their soul. 

(10)
(6)
John Bazyk
Aug 25, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

If you're going to work for a company, own it. Everyone needs a job. I wouldn't look down on someone for working at one company over another. If you've got a job, do the best you can. That includes being proud of the work you do no matter what company you work for. 

Hiding your employment tells me you're embarrassed who you're working for. If this is the case you're probably not preforming well. 

(23)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Aug 28, 2017

I wouldn't look down on someone for working at one company over another.

You may not, but many recruiters and hiring managers do. Personally, I have a certain company listed on my resume, because of that, the comments I have received from recruiters and hiring managers has been consistent:

"...you worked at XXXX for how long? That's all we need, when can you start". 

(Slightly exaggerated)

The point, some companies have very high, hiring standards while others do not. Who you work for can greatly affect your own reputation and ability to build a career. This may be more evident on the manufactures level, than the integrator level, but it still matters. Example:

While I do not want to beat the Hikvision horse (as it is well nigh decimated at this point) as a former RSM, it must be hard to maneuver around the cyber security vulnerabilities that continually plaque Hik. Having to justify the product you represent to customers that are, or will become, a part of your network, can affect how you are perceived and may limit hiring options in the future. 

Furthermore, manufacturing companies do leverage different channel models. Manufactures that leverage the distribution and rep-firm model will lean one direction, while others prefer more Biz-Dev type reps, creating pull-through sales by targeting key end-users. Each model works, but the type of sales person you are will be defined by the company you work for. 

In other words, it very much matters who you work for. You will end up carrying their reputation. 

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 25, 2017

I think you should be careful with these kinds of posts. He's another human in the world just working to earn himself a living. We have no idea if he is hiding it on purpose or if he just doesn't prefer to broadcast that kind of personal information publicly. I don't think there is shame in either approach, but singling a person out like this just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

(14)
(3)
Brian Karas
Aug 25, 2017
IPVM

We have no idea if he is hiding it on purpose or if he just doesn't prefer to broadcast that kind of personal information publicly.

But he does list his previous employers.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 25, 2017

Good point. It's still speculation, but good point.

Brian Karas
Aug 25, 2017
IPVM

Also, LinkedIn is really an optional thing. He could take down his profile, or otherwise not participate on LinkedIn. When you choose to have a LinkedIn profile, and connect with 250+ people, I think you have to realize that it looks off to obscure your employer.

I have seen people hide their employer, but typically only when it is some still-secret startup, or when they are planning some kind of big reveal/hype, the way Gary Tryon did. Those are special circumstances, or short-term examples, and they are generally people who want others to know where they are working, but do not want to reveal it just yet.

(3)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 25, 2017
IPVM

#2, thanks for the feedback.

broadcast that kind of personal information publicly

Where one works is, by definition, work related, not personal. We would not publish on personal details unrelated to work like what someone's hobbies are or what they did in 5th grade, etc.

Also, in particular, working in sales like he does, it is fundamentally a public facing role. We wouldn't find it significant enough to report on an admin assistant or a warehouse worker, but a business development director, as Hikvision's blog publicly promotes him, is a public figure.

(2)
Sean Nelson
Aug 25, 2017
Nelly's Security

I agree. I know he is part of a large organization but pin pointing particular humans seems get into a gray area. Perhaps atleast block out his name.

But as far as my opinion on the subject. If you are not proud of whom you work for, you probably shouldnt work for them at all.

I don't know the ins and outs of employment at Hikvision but working for a company that is firing on all cylinders and is paying higher than the norm seems pretty attractive. If I wasnt self employed, i would look into it myself. 

(3)
(1)
Randall Raszick
Aug 25, 2017

It doesn't make much sense to me personally, but as I'm not Mr. Lennon, and have no clue as to his motivations, I'm not prepared to make any judgment on his LinkedIn profile.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Aug 25, 2017
IPVM

And he has updated his LinkedIn profile to show Hikvision now:

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Apparently he got the .

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Sep 13, 2017

I'm going to stop following IPVM if this stuff keeps up. You're like a jealous 13-year-old girl.

(4)
(4)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Aug 25, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think that with all honesty it is his business and who is anyone to pass judgement on him? 

(7)
(1)
(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 26, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I think that with all honesty it is his business...

He posted a period for his company name in his public profile, not in his diary.  That is the information he willingly provided about his company.  

If his public profile is out-of-bounds, what are we allowed to pass judgement on?  

(3)
(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Aug 28, 2017

I've worked with Chris at a previous company, and he was a standup guy who did well.  It's sad to see that he landed at Hik.  I hope this is only a temporary setback.

(2)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Aug 28, 2017

Maybe this was just a landing pad job for him to pay bills while he looks for a better position that he can believe in.  He needed to keep his LI profile up with the past positive info to help in the job search effort but maybe didn't want to muddy his profile with a job he's not proud of.  I think its too bad he got outed on IPVM and wish the guy all the best.  I think the IPVM announcement could have been better handled more generically and more as a report on what might look like a growing trend in Hik world with new employees without throwing individuals under the bus?!?!

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #6
Aug 28, 2017

I have to give reasonable doubt on this one. I am horrible at updating my linkedin account personally 

JH
John Honovich
Aug 28, 2017
IPVM

I am horrible at updating my linkedin account personally

To clarify, he updated that he had a new job, he just choose to omit the name of the company (same thing other Hikvision employees have done).

For sure, if it was not updated at all, it could have been that he just forgot.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Sep 13, 2017

IPVM loves drama

(2)
PM
Paul Meltzer
Nov 03, 2017

I missed this one when it was first published. 

As a former Hikvison USA employee,  (SE, it's always been on my LinkedIn profile) it was one of the best jobs I've ever had.  Chris Zenaty built a strong team of RSMs and SE's to service and support USA.  Hikvison USA tech support did and does a remarkable job providing support for their dealer base throughout the continental USA, Canada and other areas.  Their challenges in my opinion are the hoops they have to jump through to get new features, upgrades and bug fixes (everybody's got them so don't even go there) written and approved by HQ (Yes, China) and dealing with USA techs who are too lazy to learn the product. (but it's been a couple years since I was there now)

Some of you will probably be saying to yourselves if it was such a great company why aren't you there now.  Personal reasons, feel free to contact me directly if you really need to know.

By the way since I am somewhat on a roll.  Get off Marty Calhoun's back.  When I first started viewing IPVM he was a consistent and knowledgeable contributor.  (I know he doesn't need my 2 cents he can take care of himself and so can I)

(2)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 03, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Get off Marty Calhoun's back. When I first started viewing IPVM he was a consistent and knowledgeable contributor.

Yes, his knowledge is extremely consistent :)

(1)
(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
Nov 04, 2017

Marty brings it upon himself.  He shows up in threads (ALWAYS disclosed - only cowards go undisclosed), makes a combative statement, then fails to answer any follow up questions.  When Marty does choose to answer questions they are usually does not address the question asked. I agreeu that Marty did contribute early on but he is now defending an increasingly indefensible position.  

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Thank you Paul and you are 100% correct I had one of the better times in my life traveling with Chris Zenaty and others this past year and he is a great guy.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Nov 04, 2017

Does that mean you did the China trip?

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

China trip? What China trip? What are you referring to UM#9?

U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

China trip? What China trip? What are you referring to...

The same one you were referring to when you said

I think that such a trip (if offered) would be a once in a Lifetime experience and I cannot think of a better bunch of folks to spend that time with. Its disappointing that so many people are "looking thru blinders" and cannot see the deep cultural roots these people enjoy during their lives and the "respect" their have for their jobs. I look at pictures of Shanghai and Hangzhou and realize their are many more similarities to the US than differences. I would absolutely love the experience, thank you.

Hikvision Partners, Ready For Your All Expense Paid Trip To China?

(1)
MC
Marty Calhoun
Nov 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Ohhh that China trip, well dumb me, forgot all about that dream I had. Well, it would be nice to travel there, and would be extra special if I was with any of my acquaintances from Hikvision because I cannot think of a finer group of professionals to travel with on a business trip!

Have you been there? What was it like?

(2)
U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 04, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Ohhh that China trip, well dumb me, forgot all about that dream I had.

Have you had any contact with Russian government officials in the last year? ;)

(1)
(3)
UI
Nov 05, 2017

Have you had any contact with Russian government officials in the last year? ;)

Does that exclude an integrator from US government military contracts?  Asking for a friend.

JH
John Honovich
Nov 06, 2017
IPVM

Marty, you went on the Hikvision trip to China. It is a small industry and people talk.

While differences of opinions are certainly acceptable, it is unfair and beneath you to lie about facts.

Also, I do not see what the big deal it is that you went to China with Hikvision. They are your business partner.

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #10
Nov 05, 2017

Why dont you ask the United States Army folks at Ft. Hood where they requested HIKVISION design software for them to use with their HIKVISION IP Camera system. Does that help? Reply for a friend.

U
Undisclosed #3
Nov 05, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Reply for a friend.

Question from a comrade.

(1)
UI
Nov 06, 2017
Before or after it became common knowledge that HIKVISION is majority owned by the Chinese government?
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions