Subscriber Discussion

Analog Over Shielded Non-Twisted Pair.

Rich Bonawitz
Mar 13, 2018

Is there a product out there that I can run a analog camera over a 18awg non twisted pair connected to RG59.

It is for a elevator that has this cable already pulled.

Sean Patton
Mar 13, 2018

Rich, I am not aware of any product to support that, simply on the fact that untwisted cable would leave the video signal susceptible to interference. I am not even aware of an approved way or converter to run IP cameras over untwisted cable. I'm reaching out to a couple contacts to see if they know something I don't.

Does the camera need to be analog? Can you have a wireless bridge installed from the top of the elevator shaft to the roof of the elevator car and install an IP camera?

Rich Bonawitz
Mar 13, 2018

Job is complete, thought cable was twisted pair only to find out after it wasn't.

An assumption I regret. Thanks for your input

Sean Patton
Mar 13, 2018

Rich,

Brian Rhodes just emailed me a link BNC Balun to a product that just might work out for you.

Ethan Ace
Mar 13, 2018

I'd probably try an active balun pair over untwisted cable. They tend to have better signal than passive baluns and these models from NVT claim they work on Category 2 telephone cable, which is smaller gauge than what you're looking at and barely twisted. Make sure you match the transmitter and receiver. It'll cost a little more but trying to use passive on the receiver will reduce the gains you see from the active transmitter.

(1)
Rich Bonawitz
Mar 13, 2018

Thanks Ethan,

I spoke to NVT this morning & this is the part they recommended. They could not promise it would work 100% because they haven't tested the product much over un-twisted pair. Plus the cost for this & just hoping it works is tough to swallow.

I will wait to get a little more feed back from this post before I decide.

Thanks for input.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions