Subscriber Discussion

Analog Cameras (Ugh, I Know...) - Which Mfg?

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 16, 2016

Aside from HIKVision, which is not an option, what do you guys use most often for analog cameras? I have a few clients that still use analog at a few locations for various reasons (budget, etc), and I'm always stuck scrambling for a product to use.

While I know that "high quality analog" is an oxymoron, I'm looking for good cameras as opposed to the cheapest I can find.

Any recommendations?

Ari Erenthal
Nov 17, 2016

Hanwha and Bosch both make fine products.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 17, 2016

I'm just busting your stones (mostly), but I found this highly amusing :)

(2)
(1)
Ari Erenthal
Nov 17, 2016

Good point.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

From the 2016 catalog

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 17, 2016

It would be interesting to see a like of manufacture s that still sell D1 analog Cameras.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I'm thinking most of the ones that ever did still do, even if they don't mention it much.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified
JH
John Honovich
Nov 17, 2016
IPVM

#1, when you say analog, you mean SD analog or HD analog? Because there's a difference in availability and vendor support between the two?

U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 17, 2016

Sorry, I mean ANALOG. Plain ol' SD.

This customer is using some old to very old DVR's that are "still working", and while they're upgrading them slowly, they don't have the budget to do them as quickly as they'd like.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

In that case you may want to consider buying an IP or HD-Analog camera with SD.NTSC output.

That way when you go to upgrade you can just switch the output to hd resolution.

The price difference between HD analog and SD analog is getting smaller all the time.

Here's a list of IP cameras with SD/NTSC output and another for

HD Analog with SD/NTSC output.

MT
Matt Transue
Nov 17, 2016

We have a customer that require us to use specific Honeywell camera models. They like the HD4U cameras for their SD analog stuff.

Honeywell HD4U

Very vanilla and boring.

I don't know how it compares price-wise to the other options list here.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Nov 17, 2016

Clinton Electronics... Good, Reliable, Moderate price point, and over built. We have been installing them for years, very reliable even in the worst installers hands...

Clinton Electronics SD Analog Cameras

Matthew Netardus
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We generally use either Hanwah (Samsung) and Bosch. The Bosch cameras are higher quality but cost is significantly higher then competing analog (and Hanwah).

Since the differentiation/cost between analog cameras (among professional manufacturers) is not significant, I would recommend finding a brand of analog that is complimentary for your IP offerings (create that brand uniformity to make it easier to sell that future "upgrade" to the IP offering by that same manufacturer)

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Matthew, how common is it for Hanwha IP cameras to offer a secondary analog output?

MT
Matt Transue
Nov 17, 2016

I don't believe it is particularly 'common' for the Hanwha cameras to have an analog out, but a few do.

We use the SND-5084 for one of our customers. It comes with a little pigtail (in the box) that is easily connected to the camera. It has a BNC on the end of it. It will provide a full-time analog out and we use this for a Public View Monitor solution while recording the high res. IP video back to the NVR.

It's quick, easy, reliable and not expensive. We've had no issues with many deployments in this manner.

U
Undisclosed #2
Nov 17, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I remember they often used to have an analog output that was labeled for "installation use" only. Because it drops the frame rate on the IP output. But in this case that would be ok because he would only use it one way or another.

5084 is a nice camera, the pigtail thing is a little weird.

MT
Matt Transue
Nov 17, 2016

You're correct that the bulk of what Samsung offers with 'analog out' is still for 'installation only'. The SND-5084 is actually a full time analog out and does not impact the IP stream capabilities.

The pigtail is necessary so they don't have to bake a large BNC connector onto the body of the camera. The BNC jack (camera side) along with the BNC plug (cable side), together, require quite a bit of real estate.

The pigtail also offers flexibility to hide the cabling in the ceiling, gang box, etc.

Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts and the success we've had with a similar situation for our customer. I hope this helps.

Jon Dillabaugh
Nov 17, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

As others have said, but an HD Analog (CVI or TVI) with a CBVS output/mode. This way, in the future, they can upgrade to HD when they do upgrade those DVRs.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions