Subscriber Discussion

Altronix PACE Devices That Extend Distances Up To 500m.

MR
Mark Rindy
Oct 27, 2014

Fairly new product that claims extending Cat5e power and data out to 500 meters. Frankly I'm a bit leery that PoE+ can be extended to 500 meters without a midspan injector every 95 meters.

We originally specified multimode fiber with Axis media converters on the camera end going back to a fiber bulkhead. However, the customers' electrical contractor came back with a large change order in order to make up for their initial super low comm. bid.

Does anyone have experience on whether or not these devices actually extend to the claimed distances and if so, is power and video working properly?

Ethan Ace
Oct 27, 2014

I don't have any personal experience with the PACE product, but the second page of their installation instructions shows actual distance by PoE class. But I don't get why 13W, 19W, and 25W show different lengths in feet, but the same in meters.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that usually power delivered drops with distance, and I don't think this would be any different. I wouldn't trust the 500m spec. I'd get a pair and test it if possible.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions