Subscriber Discussion

All Your Security Can't Protect Against Insider Threats

Ari Erenthal
Jan 08, 2017

Two guys hit a commercial jewelry house in New York City on New Years Eve, at midnight, just blocks from Times Square and 7,000 cops. And the two safes they cleared had no signs of forced entry.

So this is either the world's stupidest insurance scam, or it's a fairly clever inside job. 

The question is, how do you prevent inside jobs like this? You have to trust your employees, after all, and some employees need codes and combinations in order to do their jobs. How would you proceed? 

Incidentally, I liked this quote from a locksmith who specializes in selling safes to the diamond industry (disclosure: we're friends on Facebook):

“It’s very easy to sell somebody protection, which is a safe,” he said. “I try to sell prevention. Protection is a science. I don’t want the schmucks coming onto the premises.”

U
Undisclosed #1
Jan 09, 2017

Great post. 

I think some of the most interesting advances in the electronic security world are going to come from attempts to combat this exact thing. There's some stuff already happening, but will be interesting to see where it goes.

With that said, it doesn't take advanced technologies and crazy futuristic stuff to stop these types of things. For example -

Why does anyone have access to that space after hours? Any access control system can alert when access is gained outside of a set period of time.

How was there no alert to SOMEONE when access was gained? Video showed those dudes hammering away on something, so it's not like there was an intrusion alarm they overrode? Something has to alert someone. If it was disarmed outside of a range of times, why didn't that generate an alert?

So many BASIC things that can be done to prevent a huge number of insider threats that weren't done here. When that much loot is hanging around, someone either did a really crappy job of system design or a really crappy job of thinking that they had something worth protecting.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 09, 2017
IPVMU Certified

The question is, how do you prevent inside jobs like this? You have to trust your employees, after all, and some employees need codes and combinations in order to do their jobs...

How about a timelock?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions