Subscriber Discussion

VMS Alert When No Motion Present For Certain Amount Of Time?

Sal Visone
Jun 07, 2017
DWG • IPVMU Certified

Has anyone seen a feature on a VMS that can allow for notifiication / alert based on lack of motion for a camera over a given time period?  Maybe in retail for employee productivity monitoring? 

Dwayne Cooney
Jun 07, 2017

Loiter detection may be the only option.

The question is... what type of activity should they be doing and would loiter detection ignore it?

Sal Visone
Jun 07, 2017
DWG • IPVMU Certified

Well this particular project is requiring notifications if there is no motion over a certain time interval,.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jun 07, 2017

Depending on the VMS, you could have a quick Windows Service/scheduled script created that connects to the VMSs API and reset a timer whenever motion is detected, logging this to a file for debug, then if no alarm received after n seconds, send an email and/or an alarm back to the VMS via its API.

Does depend on the VMS though, some APIs are free, others not so cheap..

(1)
Sal Visone
Jun 07, 2017
DWG • IPVMU Certified

That's definitely the correct logic flow.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jun 07, 2017

Sure, it's dead man's switch logic. Do you mind if I ask what VMS is in use?

Sal Visone
Jun 07, 2017
DWG • IPVMU Certified

Damien, I have been tasked by the integrator to recommend the VMS and this feature request is on the list.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 07, 2017

Axxon Intellect can do that

Sal Visone
Jun 07, 2017
DWG • IPVMU Certified

Thanks I will investigate that.

UE
Undisclosed End User #2
Jun 07, 2017

This reminds me of a Napco zone feature in their intrusion panels, you would use this to monitor elderly folks, put a detector in pathway to restroom etc...

Luis Carmona
Jun 10, 2017
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

Geutebruck's modular way of constructing events makes this easily possible.

In the below example, an Event is created where the condition that starts it is when the AD (Activity Detection) has "finished", meaning stopped. The condition that stops the event is when AD is active. One of the possible actions you can configure in this example is closing or opening a contact. But there are lots of other possible actions available.

(3)
Josh Hendricks
Jun 10, 2017
Milestone Systems

Are there properties for the start by/stop by nodes? I'm not seeing the part where the alarm is triggered after some duration of time after motion stopped. And presumably the alarm should only be triggered if no new motion events are received between the start/end of that timer.

Luis Carmona
Jun 12, 2017

Are there properties for the start by/stop by nodes?

Josh, I apologize but I'm not quite clear on this question. Can you elaborate a little bit?

As for a time period to wait before activating, I believe this can be done with Blocking Filters which blocks Events or Actions for specified time periods. I don't remember how to do these settings. I'll try to post an example when I have time.

DW
David Wise
Jun 12, 2017

Sal,

We have this capability. Please give me a call.
www.smartvue.com

JH
John Honovich
Jun 12, 2017
IPVM

David, please explain how you do this and refrain from posting your full contact information. If you do not have Sal's contact information, I can facilitate an offline direct connection between the two of you.

DW
David Wise
Jun 12, 2017

John, we have proprietary functionality within our video surveillance platform to detect motion and non-motion. 

(1)
Brandon Knutson
Jun 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Long time OnSSI Ocularis end-user here...

Looks like this can be done in the latest versions of OnSSI Ocularis by creating a "composite event rule" in the "Ocularis Administrator" software. End result would be an event created in the client software. If interested, you should reach out to OnSSI.

(3)
LL
Lavonne Lazarus
Jun 13, 2017

Aventura’s VMS has built-in such functionality which we call a “reverse-analytic.”  The feature assumes there should be constant motion and upon the cessation of activity it sends an alarm.

(2)
SC
Scott Clingan
Jun 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Exacq also can accomplish this through Event Linking and Email notifications.   It is strictly camera motion based.   For example you can say if there is no motion within 2 hours send a notification. 

(1)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 14, 2017

1) How many employees will need to be monitored?

2) Does it need to track each employee separately or its ok even if one is present?

3) is this something behind a cash register or in a specific area where only employees have access to?

DO
David O'Neil
Jul 19, 2017

I would think that Loitering Analytics on most    cameras that support such a feature such as Bosch cameras with IVA would be well suited to solve the customers requirement but without specific floor plans and a very detailed account of which areas require what limits on motion it would be difficult to specify a more detailed solution.

Also Bosch BVMS can definately do Compound event scripting which can create logical events. The scripting is quite flexible in C++ or Visual Basic which would allow a very fine control over system events and notifications.

Luis Carmona
Oct 06, 2021

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but curious what solution was decided for this.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Oct 06, 2021

Duranc Vision can detect if nobody is present within a zone for more than a pre-defined time and raise an event and notify specified users. Useful for monitoring availability of staff at a POS terminal or a security post etc.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions