Subscriber Discussion

Alarm Takeover Procedure

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 12, 2017

I don't actively try to take over another company's accounts, but I am approached by new customers who wish to switch to us. Is there any letters or written disclaimers I need to use to keep my company out of trouble? My latest customer is a 10 year ADT residential client.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Feb 12, 2017

I ask my potential customer if they are under contract with another company. If there is any doubt I ask the customer to provide something in writing from their previous alarm company confirming they are no longer under contract. Sometimes they provide an email from their old alarm company confirming the status. If the customer really wants you to take over their system, they'll come up with the documentation to show they're no longer under contract. I put the burden on the customer to assure they're not under contract with another company.

Also, I try to find out if the customer is involved in a lawsuit with the previous alarm company. I don't like getting in the middle of someone's legal problem.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Feb 13, 2017

I wouldn't think it was our responsibility to know this information. I have never had an issue. 

May not hurt to put a clause in your contract that says the customer is responsible for any existing contract with other companies, and you are not responsible for damage or loss of their equipment 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions