Subscriber Discussion

Alarm Siren For Camera Tamper

jo
jason oneal
Aug 17, 2014

I have a remote camera install for a neighborhood association. They want to be able to sound an alarm and flash a strobe if the cameras are tampered with. How can I use the alarm I/O on the cameras to achieve this? I'm not an alarm guy so I'm not familiar with using relays and power supplies for external sirens.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 17, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Hello Jason:

Does the camera already have tamper detection, or are you looking to add this? A camera make/model would be helpful if you don't know for sure.

jo
jason oneal
Aug 17, 2014

Yes, it has video tamper to trigger alarm when lens is covered.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 18, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Hello Jason:

In that case, you can use the output pins to trigger a relay to turn on an alarm or strobe. Our Using Camera Output Power post is a good overview of this method, check that out first and then see what questions you have.

The image below is from that post - you connect the coil of a relay to the contacts on the output ports of camera I/O, and let the camera send a short pulse to the relay to kick on lights or a siren, even 120/220 V or higher (ie: really bright or really loud!)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions