Subscriber Discussion

Alarm Panels For The IT Professional?

SN
Steve Nauman
Apr 27, 2015

I'll preface this by saying that my experience in security is almost entirely limited to CCTV. That said, I'm curious to know if there's an alarm panel available that's on the more modern side of the IT/security convergence. One with an API for zone status, arm/disarm, and other core functionality. Software-defined zones would also be a big plus. In my searching, I've found that DSC has a couple of serial interfaces with published protocols, and that Ademco's 128BPE or whatever the current incarnation of that is also has/had a home automation interface, but those seem more like things patched onto an existing platform rather than a core function.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 27, 2015
IPVMU Certified

So, to summarize you're looking for:

1) Strong software UI

2) Openness, or at least a widely used API

3) IP based panels w/ networkable alarm outputs

4) Home automation interface as a core feature (no extra modules/add-ons needed)

Does that sound right?

SN
Steve Nauman
Apr 27, 2015

1) I'm looking at this from more of an engineering/integration standpoint, so UI isn't all that important.

2) This is the big thing. No reverse-engineered keypad protocols, no half-a, er, attempted, serial protocols. I'm looking for someone who put some serious thought into API design _before_ releasing the panel.

3) Correct, with networkable zones, too, if we're talking ideals. (Polling an endpoint or receiving events via its API.)

4) It's not even HA specifically that I'm interested in. I'd just like to be able to throw an HTTP request at a panel to get its status or arm/disarm without having to monkey around with a bunch of extra stuff.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 27, 2015

I'd suggest talking a look at the ELK M1 Gold

(1)
(3)
SN
Steve Nauman
Apr 27, 2015

This definitely looks like it's along the right lines!

(1)
Ethan Ace
Apr 27, 2015

I was going to say Elk and DMP are usually talked about as being most integrate-able. Elk is a bit more publicly available, though. I've never used either, but I often had some of the same thoughts you're having.

(1)
SN
Steve Nauman
Apr 27, 2015

Sounds like that's where my core comparison will be, then. Any other leads would also be very appreciated.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 27, 2015
IPVMU Certified

I've never seen that ELK panel before. It looks impressive! I want to get one just to play around with it.

I've worked with DMP's Entre' integration software and XR panels before, and it is nice in comparison to DSC or Vista, but is in itself a pretty closed system.

U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 27, 2015

It's a pretty nice system.

VC
Vlad Craciunescu
Apr 27, 2015

Hi Tyler

i guess Ksenia fits the bill. The company is quite new (2010ish) but the guys inside are industry "veterans" with some knowledge of the market. The panel is quite new so not all its potential is reached byt it has :

- IP onboard

- web UI directly from that IP socket with maps and some ONVIF live view streams

- a SDK to exploit it if the existing/future applications and integrations are not shat you need

- quite flexible architecture with 16/48/128 and 8x128 zones (and same no of outputs) available, all scenario/macro programmable

- 3G, wireless, TTS, temp control, access control NFC ready, analogue 4-20 mA I/O

- italian design ????

We are their distributor in Romania though so it is normal we like it (a lot)

SN
Steve Nauman
Apr 27, 2015

Not sold in the USA :(

VC
Vlad Craciunescu
Apr 27, 2015

Sorry for that. Hopefully it will, someday.

MM
Michael Miller
Apr 28, 2015
John Bazyk
Apr 28, 2015
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified
Take a look at DMP, they have been using network protocols since 2002. I believe they were the first ones to do so. Their app already does everything you're describing, they just partnered with Hikvision for video verification from their app and at the central station. There are also a few 3rd party integrators like Connected One that are doing what you’re looking to do. If you need someone to contact at DMP about an API let me know and I can help you get in-touch with the right people.
We’re primarily on the intrusion side of the business, I have worked for the alarm company since age 15 (started as an apprentice). In my opinion, DMP has the most capable intrusion panels in the industry. They're eager to be better than everyone else, so if they dont do what you're looking for...all you have to do is ask.
They are going to be releasing an intrusion panel in the coming months that will accept 96 access control doors.
U
Undisclosed #1
Apr 28, 2015

I forgot to mention, the HAI Omni Pro II (now owned by Leviton) is probably the granddaddy of IT-friendly API-accessable systems. I think my first OmniPro was web-enabled somewhere around 1998.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions