Alarm.Com Sees Convergence Between Security And HVAC Integrators?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 12, 2017
IPVM

At the Barnes Buchanan conference, Alarm.com's CEO projected convergence between security and HVAC integrators, noting the similarity in operations - dispatching techs with trucks in local areas - and the synergies that smart home / business systems that monitor both would deliver.

So what do you think?

JCI is one historic example of this but do you see this as a growing trend or a benefit for security integrators?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 12, 2017

It wouldn't surprise me. JCI is proof of concept, Im sure they did their homework. HVAC does minimal low voltage wiring comparatively but probably have a decent amount of troubleshooting and problem solving knowledge. 

Alarm industry is trying to eliminate truck rolls as much as possible it seems (RMR), but HVAC is more geared towards wanting truck rolls (billable hours) (maybe?). 

U
Undisclosed #2
Mar 12, 2017

trucks roll - they do not role

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 12, 2017

This is true, edited. Thanks

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 13, 2017

Well for sure there is convergence of security and AV integrators.  Not sure how HVAC as a trade fits in though... seems apples and oranges to me.  Especially considering the nature of HVAC trade licensing - completely different skillsets.  And I would add that to a man, I've never met a residential HVAC guy who appeared skilled with what it takes for security except maybe pulling wires.  Most of the time it seems difficult for them to figure out their own control systems.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions