Subscriber Discussion

Advice Requested - 8 Camera System For High End Residential - Wireless Infrastructure

MT
Matt Transue
Nov 15, 2016

We have an opportunity on a project for a small, high end residential community.

They want 8 cameras to monitor a few parking areas and other areas of concern.  Cameras will communicate wirelessly to a central location within the complex.

We can figure out the cameras/VMS needed without issue, that's no big deal.  My main question is regarding the wireless portion.

Some of the cameras will be clustered in close enough proximity to bring them all back to a switch.  We need to connect the camera switches to the central location wirelessly.

There will be a dedicated ISP line for the surveillance and there is no infrastructure of any kind in place as we speak.  So it's basically an open playground for how we want to do this.

There will be 3 cameras in a cluster at location A and 4 cameras in a cluster at location B.  There will be one or two stand alone camera locations also.  Each cluster will have the cameras wired back to a single switch. I know that I will need an antenna per switch location, which will then connect to a base station at the central 'server' location.

There is clear line of sight on top of the buildings and everything is in relatively close proximity (I think less than 1000 feet/300 meters...give or take)

Has anyone done a small system like this where you've had success?  If so, what products did you use for the base station and antennas?

Just looking for some ideas on where to get started as we haven't done an actual wireless surveillance deployment before.

I have looked into Ubiquiti already and am investigating other options also.

Always appreciate the help from everyone!

MM
Michael Miller
Nov 15, 2016

Should be easy to do with UBNT. Use a Rocket with an ONMI or sector antenna at your head end and use NanoBeams at your switch locations.

(5)
(2)
JG
Jeff Gack
Nov 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

I have done some work with Tirade (which is now called Ligowave).

They are an antenna with access point built in weather rated and are powered with POE. They have clamps that fit nicely on a standard J pole like they use for satellite dishes. There is also a signal strength meter on the unit which is handy for aiming.

They can be setup for point to point or point to multipoint.

They claim to go 9 miles point to point.

I have one installation going 1400 feet for nearly 2 years with no problems.

I have tested up to 2000 feet and seemed to work well.

Perhaps something like this might work for your application.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Nov 16, 2016
IPVMU Certified

UBNT or Ubiquiti. We installed tons of these with my former company. We had some sites that did have some hiccups and I was told it was possibly due to us not using Cat5e with a ground discharge. We also had no surge or UPS protection on most of these devices. Not my choice, I didn't design them.

I suggest you use their TC cable, its not that expensive in the grand scheme of things. I also would install a UPS on each end.

We usually used the Loco M5 up to 4 or 5 cameras.

(1)
Jeffrey Hinckley
Nov 16, 2016

The 120 integrated sectors with nanobeams work pretty good. I wish they had put dual nics with poe passthrough like the retiring nanostations. That made dual cameras and repeaters easy. The 8 port tough switches are good to power radios and cameras. Will allow camera reboots remotely. Low temperature rated, with layer 2 management and diagnostic. Be sure to not plug radios into ports configured for 48 v.

You must use shielded cabling with grounded rj45 for all radios. This is the first question their support will ask you. The midspans and switches have grounded ports which grounds the radio and eliminates ESD. You must crimp the drain on the connectors.

Ubiquiti no longer supports new rockets ac with omnis. Sectors only. You can still get omnis, though.

(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #1
Nov 16, 2016

I've done at least 7 jobs that I can think of at the moment using Ubiquiti over the last three years and all are doing very well, but we've always played it pretty safe in terms of system design and application. I've used both the Loco M5 and the Nano M5. We always did point to point setups that had clear line of sight, and always used a UPS backup on all equipment. One job had two Nano M5s back to back on a light pole as we didn't have a clear line of sight from the camera to the building, so we did a bank shot off of a light pole. Fortunately, the light pole had 24hr voltage and used photocells on the lights. We put the UPS in an outdoor enclosure on the pole. One job has three 2MP cameras, another has one 2MP and two 4MP cameras, another has two 4MP cameras going to a low cost NVR with an internal POE, another has two 5MP cameras, a couple jobs are a single 5MP camera and a single 2MP camera, and one job has 11 analog cameras on three 4-port encoders plus three 1MP cameras, on one wireless point. We always set a bandwidth limit on all cameras and encoders so we've never exceeded 50mbps on the wireless points on any of the jobs. The furthest shot we've done is the one with the analog encoders which is about 600' between points and across a fairly busy street. That same location also has the IT guys set of Ubiquiti points (not sure which model) carrying the customers internet service between buildings across the street. I've had good experiences with Ubiquiti. There might be "better" products but Ubiquiti is a very cost effective solution and has been adequate for our customers needs.

We would typically set up any wireless points on the bench and verify operation before installing.

(2)
(3)
MT
Matt Transue
Nov 16, 2016

Thanks all for the suggestions. I really appreciate everyone's professional recommendations and assistance.

AD
Alex Doorduyn
Nov 21, 2016

Hi Matt

(Disclaimer - I am a Siklu employee)

For a wireless network with very high reliability, availability and capacity you may want to look at Siklu. We operate in the interference and congestion free 60GHz operating bands, so no risk of interference. These license free bands can also deliver very high capacity (from 100Mbps up to 1Gbps) with very low latency (350 micro seconds) so if you are aggregating a number of cameras no concerns with bandwidth limitation. No spectral analysis required due to the very narrow beams and zero interference.

Higher price point than Ubiquity for sure but more of an Enterprise class product so different category.

If you would like to learn more please visit www.siklu.com.

Thanks

Alex Doorduyn

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions