Subscriber Discussion

Advice For A Newbie Sales Rep

RT
Robert T
Jan 22, 2018

What's the best advice you could give to someone new to selling commercial surveillance systems (in the private sector)?

Also, how do you convince a potential client that the lowest bid isn't always the best choice?

Any nuggets of wisdom would help. I would love strategies and tips for lead generation and closing. 

Thanks

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jan 22, 2018

Identify a way that you can provide true value to your clients, beyond pricing and availability.  It's going to be something different for everybody.  Otherwise, you're just another biz card and a free lunch.

(7)
(2)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 22, 2018
IPVM

Robert, welcome and thanks for your first comment!

Consider the following common weakness of veteran salespeople: their busy. Generally, they have many accounts, many responsibilities in their company and they are often at a point where they scale back their aggressiveness as they are more established. To be clear, surely there are many exceptions but I think generally this is applicable.

You can:

(1) Be more aggressive in providing help to your prospects. You almost certainly have more time to dedicate. Figure out what help they need and provide it. Many buyers will choose the more helpful salesperson if everything else is close. By contrast, the busier veteran salesperson may not be willing or capable of providing that level of effort.

(2) See what newer technologies you can lead with. Again because veteran salespeople are busy, many fall behind on what's new or become more comfortable with technologies they have been selling for a long time. A few technologies to consider include Smart CodecsRepositionable Multi-Imager Camera Guide as well as educating them or showing your knowledge of cybersecurity such as VPNs for Video Surveillancekey vulnerabilities and improving network security.

(4)
(6)
RT
Robert T
Jan 23, 2018

Thank you so much, John! Everything you mentioned above rings true. I know a handful of seasoned sales reps who decline free training from various vendors and are behind on quotes / estimates.

Sean Nelson
Jan 23, 2018
Nelly's Security

In dealing with many sales reps over the years, here are the things that I value most:

- Product Knowledge - Strive to know your products inside and out. This will give you confidence and your knowledge will inspire confidence in your prospect, thus allowing you to sell over lower prices

-Following Up - if you say you are going to do something for your customer, actually do it and do it when you say you are going to. You will also want to continually stay in touch with your customers about new products or features worth noting. There is nothing more annoying then having to remind someone to take action on something they told you they were going to take action on.

- Being organized. if you take orders from customers, i cant tell you how useful it is to have a rep that actually gets everything right. It sounds simple but its a great skill. Not only that, you should make product recommendations when people are placing orders. For example, if a particular product needs a power supply but it doesnt come with one by default.

Dont be fooled by the typical persona that a salesman needs to be a smooth talking gregarious type. Dont get me wrong, you need to step out of your shell, but excelling in skills above will set you apart from your peers.

Being new, put an emphasis on your product knowledge. Id say make it your goal to be the most knowledgeable sales rep in the company, if you do this, you will make great strides. Product knowledge among sales reps in general is a lost art.

(8)
(3)
(1)
RT
Robert T
Jan 23, 2018

Appreciate the advice Sean! I've been going through the data sheets, manuals, and marketing collateral from all the major vendors. There's a lot of info to digest but I'm eager to plow through it in order to have a competitive advantage over the competition and build that confidence

Ari Erenthal
Jan 23, 2018
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Couple of things I’ve learned about sales:

1) It's a numbers game. Most people you talk to are going to say ‘no’ no matter what Jedi mind tricks you use. So talk to as many people as possible. You should be either talking to somebody, looking for people to talk to, thinking about what to say, or sleeping. 

2) Security customers don’t actually want to buy cameras. They want to buy security. What that means is that most customers find the process of choosing security products to be stressful and confusing, and have a hard time telling the difference between your product and your competitor’s product. Therefore, spend as little time as possible talking about the features or price of your product, and spend most of your time talking about the benefits of your product. Instead of talking about how your app works, for example, simply say “we have an app for your phone” and then talk about different scenarios in which an app would be useful (checking on employees clocking in, being notified of unusually long lines at the cash registers) and how they’ll *feel* when they gain that benefit (“peace of mind knowing you’ll be able to check on your business no matter where you are in the world”). Don't even mention the lower priced system, unless they ask you about it specifically, and then only discuss the difference in capability or reliability. Bombard em with benefits.  

3) Close the damn sale. Don’t let them think about it for a couple days, don’t let them get a buddy who really knows computers to look at the literature, don’t let them talk to their partner first. Once you see they’re starting to tip over to your side, say “let me tell you about our payment options.” The people who really don’t want to buy will tell you so, and the people on the fence about buying will make up their mind and will start thinking about how they’re going to put the money together instead of thinking whether or not they should get an security system.

4) On the other hand, DON’T BE PUSHY! Learn to “read the room”. Pissing people off will lose you sales you otherwise would have closed. Learning the difference between closing the sale and being pushy only comes with experience, I'm afraid, and you're going to lose a lot of sales until you figure out the difference.

5) Talk to your techs, all the time. Make sure you’re telling your customers the truth about how long things will take, make sure you aren’t underestimating the difficulty of installations, and teach them how to upsell. 

If you have any questions, contact me anytime.

(15)
(1)
(8)
RT
Robert T
Jan 23, 2018

"Security customers don’t actually want to buy cameras. They want to buy security."

"Close the damn sale."

"DON’T BE PUSHY! Learn to “read the room”. Pissing people off will lose you sales you otherwise would have closed."

Beautiful quotes! I will put them on Post-it notes and read them every day. Thanks Ari!

(1)
(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 23, 2018
IPVMU Certified

So talk to as many people as possible. You should be either talking to somebody, looking for people to talk to, thinking about what to say, or sleeping.

Listening works well also.

(4)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 23, 2018

I would suggest learning your market, then what products you have available to you that create solutions for that market.

Technology is awesome when applied correctly but words of wisdom from a mentor of many years ago “Sell today’s products, through today’s channels to your customer”

While you may be new to this industry, hopefully you will have a company that is experienced to back you up.  Don’t try to BS your way out of a “stump the sales guy” challenge.  Practice in a mirror “I’ll have to find out and get back to you”

Work hard, be sincere.  Take notes, visibly.

Oh, and rent the movie Tommy Boy.  It’s inspirational.

(2)
(3)
RT
Robert T
Jan 23, 2018

Thanks! I'll definitely check out there movie

John Bazyk
Jan 23, 2018
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

Never give up, spending 10-100K on a surveillance system is a lot of money. It can take time. Be patient and never stop communicating with them. Last week I hit my sales numbers for 2018... Q1 is historically terrible for us, but this year we're booked solid through March. Every single one of those sales started almost four years ago. Keep the sales pipeline full no matter what. If you're at the gym or watching TV and you think about a customer or potential customer, shoot them an email. Let them know you're thinking about them and have come up with a solution to their unique problem. If your company doesn't have pre-installation and post-installation protocol, implement one. This should include things like verifying what is being installed, features they're getting specific to their needs and most importantly what they're paying and how it's to be paid...etc. Post-installation should include automated emails with account numbers, contact numbers, technical training....etc. If they ever have a problem go out and help them out. You should know the products you're selling better than the technicians installing them and the vendors selling them to you. Spend a lot of time on IPVM and take all of their classes. When a customer has a problem and if that problem is user interaction related you go and show them how to do it either through a webinar or in-person and then ask for referrals. If you have to ask someone else to help a client show them how to use the software there's a pretty good chance you're not going to be memorable or get a referral. Four years ago I lost a huge access control deal. They ended up hiring a big national integrator to do it. It was a total nightmare for them. When my contacts buddy asked who he should use for access control they referred me not the big integrator they used. So I got that job, then when the original company was looking for surveillance, they came to me first, and I closed that deal this week (an example of patience, that took four years) the payout was worth the wait. Do you know how often I win a deal and I ask them why they chose me and they said I was the only one who kept trying! Finally be humble, when you win a deal don't brag to everyone on Facebook, LinkedIn or around your office. One more thing, the deal isn't done until it's installed, paid for and the customer is happy. I could go on and on but I'm going to stop now. 

(6)
(6)
Mike Dotson
Jan 23, 2018
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

A lot of great advice here.

Learn the 'language' used in this industry.  Then learn the technical differences for terms that relate to the same function...ie where do they fit in.

It is quite frustrating to learn that the person you are talking with has no clue what some of the things are.   A recent example is on the customer side where they did not know what RTSP was for.

Learn how the different VMS's use the hardware and software of the systems.  You do not want to be quoting a huge CYA box when a simple i3 based system will do.  For this one you will need to have a 'technical friend' to learn from or to consult with.

(1)
(1)
Will Doherty
Jan 23, 2018
Liberty Consulting, Inc • IPVMU Certified

People buy from people.  Be yourself and don't be afraid to be the new guy or ask questions.  That being said you need to be prepared for every sales call.  Set yourself one goal of learning something that will help your client and one goal of learning something about your client on every communication you have be that a phone call or face to face meeting.  Whatever else you get from the meeting is gravy.  You will have a hard time feeling fulfilled or like you accomplish anything unless you have specific goals.  This leads to burn out and makes your days hard as time goes on.

Go to industry events that have nothing to do with security.  If you are trying to develop a relationship with a facility manager then go to local facility manager events or read their trade publications.  If you cannot think from their point of view or understand the issues they are facing you cannot help solve them with security solutions.

Good luck.  If you enjoy sales it can be an extremely rewarding career financially and emotionally.  If you decide it isn't for you do not let that bother you. Your talents will take you to where you should be.  Have fun and welcome to the craziness of sales.  

(3)
(1)
CR
Chad Rohde
Jan 24, 2018

People buy from people. Be yourself

I agree. Sales or business in general. Talk to them like they are a good friend and exude confidence.

Lowest isn't always better for many reasons. I once lost a sale while having lowest bid simply because I wasn't assertive enough with recommended equipment. I was asking what he wanted too much instead of telling him what he needed. Now there is a fine line there you don't want to cross and be the pushy know it all sales guy.

But if you can get the relationship to a more "people" or "friend" level, everything flows much easier. 

(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jan 23, 2018

"...someone new to selling commercial surveillance systems"

Wow...lots of good ideas expressed already.  Unclear from your comments as to whether you are new to selling security, or new to selling (anything). 

If new to selling, get online courses from lots of experts on developing good sales habits.  There is actually a course offered, with board certification (Certified Sales Professional...CSP), by the Institute for Professional Advancement.  Visit mrerf.org and look up the CSP course.  They are offered around the country, duration is four days, and you do have to pay for the course.  We send all our outside sales people to the course, and the CSP certification is displayed on their business cards and emails. Even "Old Dog" sales people admit they learned many new things about selling by the end of the training. 

If security training is required, you have already seen many good ideas, above.  There is sort of a "Golden Rule" when trying to penetrate a new market: The three essentials are:

-Know your product

-Understand how the market works...who does what to whom

-Learn the buzz words so you can talk the talk.

Good luck to you...you are entering a great industry with lots of good folks in it.  You have already taken the first major step towards success-asking for advice!

OY
Omar Yeinsip
Jan 24, 2018

When I am working on trying to pull a client in the private sector into to what i call the video surveillance  budget, i usually prepare myself with knowledge on various topics that address that particular client. For one I look up the criminal incident reports of the area that are provided by most PD departments to the public in general, whereas i eventually figure out a way too bring it up when i meet the prospect blending into that subject how a CCTV systems can be a major player in preventive and investigation measures, I offer true stories on how X or Y situation occurred and how a virtual security system played a major part in avoiding or solving aforementioned story. 

I also demonstrate how clients of mines have been able to minimize inventory loses  usually cause employee "misplacing stock"or simply shoplifting when it applies. another efficient strategy  is being able to offer low monthly payments, for example, at lease in the my company i have a financing program where  clients don't have to make an inicial investment and agree to pay a fair for both sides monthly payment for x amount of month and in some cases years. This last financing move is tricky and you most be able to play out the numbers correctly and have some sort of assurance on the clients credit line plus have your equipment properly insured. We can go on and on with ways to convince a prospect into buying, the bottom line is too be duly prepared and educated on the clients business before meeting up to presentate your offer. 

As far as convincing a client on why the lowest bid isn't always the best move, its basically the same fundamentals on selling, you must be educated on the numerous incidents that have occurred where people have lost their investments by going along with a low bid which mostly means 'not to good equipment'. There are tons of horror stories. You gotta ask  "what is it you really want your virtual security system do for you' ? and base on that answer you can maneuver the clients perspective. Hope I offer some help. Good Luck!!!  

(1)
(2)
Thomas Stoker
Jan 24, 2018

There are many great things mentioned above, but one huge omission.  All customers buy when there is a legitimate expensive pain point. (I.e. losing money, or they could have made more money... if you have both it's the Holy Grail).

The best professional salesman asks tons of questions to "qualify" a potential customer and totally understand the prospects pain point, ability to buy, (budget) and timeline.

Also, the sale only begins in security after they say yes. Making sure they are happy with the work is extremely important.

Lastly, if they are happy, ask for potential leads or if they will allow you to use them as a testimonial.

Good selling! 

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Jan 24, 2018

What do experienced sales reps do starting out to make contacts and sales?

RT
Robert T
Jan 24, 2018

Here's some tips I got from seasoned vets w/ tons of battle scars:

- reach out to general contractors and IT companies in your area

- network, network, network (already mentioned below)

- lead sites or list contact info on directories

- reach out to old clients w/ analog systems

- research companies and decision makers on Linkedin

- bookmark this page

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Jan 24, 2018

"What do experienced sales reps do starting out to make contacts and sales?"

An experienced sales rep entering a new market segment should initially become part of that segment.  Join local security associations...each state will usually have its own  association.  Consider joining ASIS, and attend meetings to "rub elbows" with end users.  Look into joining sales lead sharing groups, whose members are sales people in a wide variety of industries...printing, medical supplies, accounting services, etc.  

Study the web sites of potential customers...you will be astonished at the information businesses put out about their go-to-market strategies, target customer segments, testimonials from satisfied customers, and bio's of their staff. If you are successful in getting an appointment in a larger firm, ask that person to give you a tour, and introduce you to other staff.

Put the word out on social media platforms.  Exhibit at, or at least attend, local business-to-business shows and events.  Consider joining the Better Business Bureau.

Lots of free advice on line.

Do lots of things in parallel, not in series.

Always get referrals from every contact you make, and testimonials from every customer.  Consider asking a happy customer to not only let you use their name, but actually reach out to someone else.  I have even asked customers to do this while I am  in front of them...you will be surprised at how many happy, satisfied customers want to actually brag about how "smart" they were to use you, your products, and services. Early in my sales career, I actually had a short, prepared text ready, and asked a satisfied customer, once they said they would be glad to do a testimonial, if they were comfortable with my proposed language.  Many times they laughed and did it right in front of me.  People like to be sold (serviced) by professional courteous and even slightly aggressive sales reps. Most people have a built-in B.S. detector, so remember...a truly great sales experience is based upon great service, not slick trickery. 

Lots of basics here, for sure, but you never know what might resonate with you and give you some starting points.

Good luck.

(1)
(1)
DL
David Lieberman
Jan 24, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I met with a vendor who was unprepared for the meeting and unable to suggest options for my circumstances, I asked about a few products and he had no answers to my questions. He took notes and said he'd follow up with the info I requested.

It took a month to get another meeting with him. When we sat at the table, he opened the meeting with "How can I help you?" He had "meeting amnesia", showed up without his notes, and hadn't researched for the questions I asked.

My advice for a newbie salesperson: Don't do that.

(5)
(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Jan 25, 2018

Hands down the best sales training I have ever seen is anything by Grant Cardone. His material is very in tune to today's selling techniques for any industry. There is material broken down by every category. He has countless hours of videos on youtube and many #1 best seller books. If you are not familiar with him, just do a quick search and give it a chance. Search Grant Cardone Lead Generation and Grant Cardone Closing and you will find exactly what you are looking for.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jan 25, 2018
IPVMU Certified

I would suggest learning to qualify your prospects. We have done a lot of surveys and proposals to find out the client has no budget, etc.

We went through our crm program reviewing 2017 and we have wasted a lot of time on non qualified prospects. As an owner i have a lot of other tasks to perform. As a dedicated sales person you may have more time to throw more stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 25, 2018

Qualification is a delicate art and certainly worth learning to hold the brushes.

Our fearless leader had hired a non closer who could provide more free evaluation-trial-beta systems over his several year history with the company than Kellogg’s has cereals.

The solution was simple, no more small systems!  Of course, an account he had been working was assigned to me when I joined.   We had some meetings, the opportunity was right and they needed to do an installed evaluation for 2 devices.

My counterpart said, there goes that.  I said Here’s your cost which was a premium and not discounted since 2 was just as hard as 200.

I presented the opportunity to the boss and it was a go.  A few months later we closed a 2+ million dollar sale.

That was an oil painting in qualification techniques. 

(1)
Chris Peterson
Feb 01, 2018
Vector Firm

Robert - great question, and great answers that followed.  I wish I had IPVM as a resource when I started my sales career.  

Rather than add to the good ideas already listed above, I welcome you to check out our blog on professional security sales at http://vectorfirm.hs-sites.com/blog.  It's free, and we post something new three times a week.  

CK
Carl Kristoffersen
Feb 05, 2018

To really know your product, you need to use your product.  When you use your product, and have to configure it, you become more aware of which specs really matter, and it's quirks. Also, try installing your product.  Go out to a few jobs and work with the installers and ask questions.  They can show you what's easy for installations and familiarize you with construction.  It's their job to install what you sell and if you don't keep them happy, it can affect your sales.  If you spec a camera on the lobby chandelier, they're not gonna be too happy and probably pass along their thoughts to the customer. 

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions