Subscriber Discussion

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Thermal Imaging Cameras

MM
Mark Momsen
Mar 08, 2017

As the title says I would like to compile a list of pros and cons of thermal imaging cameras over optical - particularly in using them with intrusion analytics. I am a user and fan of the Avigilon conventional cameras with analytics and am very happy with their performance.

I have some experience thermal imaging offerings from Flir and Axis and have personally found the to have been 'oversold' particularly in effective range and thermal contrast and am curious what others have found.

Also what analytics brands have been found to work well with thermals 

UE
Undisclosed End User #1
Mar 08, 2017

I am hoping that you get some responses Mark. I to have been wondering the same thing. I have been looking at Avigilon for their analytics but wonder whether they will perform as required or should I be looking at other options(thermal cameras?). I am encouraged to hear that Avigilon analytics are working for you. I have been asking local Avigilon VARs if they have anyone using analytics, that I could speak with, but so far the answer has been no. We have been using Videofied cameras here in a number of locations, however they are more intrusion detection than video surveillance.   

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions