Subscriber Discussion

ADI Shipping Fees For Every Item?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Apr 24, 2017

Recently, when I make an order from ADI, every item ships from a different location, leading to $15 shipping fees per item (basically). This is due to the fact that each location only stocks one or two units of a given product. So when I just ordered six cameras, it ended up being 4 shipments. I also ordered a DVR, which is another shipment. The PSU is another shipment. This added well over $100 to the cost of the order.

Anyone else have these issues with ADI? This will likely be my last order through them if they cannot figure out a way to avoid shipping each item in it's own box.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Apr 24, 2017

One of the many reasons I avoid them like the plague. Nickel and dime 

(2)
UI
Apr 24, 2017

An update to this issue, my rep has replied stating that if I email my orders, instead of using their app or website, that I won't see these extra shipping fees in the future.

He has also refunded all of the shipping fees for this order.

So at least they took care of this issue and have given me a way to avoid it in the future. I just think it should never have been an issue to start with. They should either stock more units at each location, or ship from one unified warehouse.

JH
John Honovich
Apr 24, 2017
IPVM

#1, thanks for the update!

my rep has replied stating that if I email my orders, instead of using their app or website

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a website / app to make things easier / faster?

(5)
(1)
UI
Apr 24, 2017

It would seem so. 

Kyle Folger
Apr 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

It seems like they should fix this issue as I like to know what my shipping will be before my order is placed and be done with it. That's one of the reasons that I don't like ordering from Tecnec. They only really have one warehouse but they always do a shipping estimate and you must choose whether to ship the order complete or ship the in stock items right away. When you choose the latter though, multiple shipments may be created which increases the final shipping cost. If enough items aren't ordered it sometimes makes more sense to order from Amazon if available as the item plus shipping may be less.

Armando Perez
May 02, 2017
Hoosier Security and Security Owners Group • IPVMU Certified

So they spent a ton of money setting up the ecommerce thing, then they want you to email the order because they can't figure out the last mile? This is why I avoid adi.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Apr 24, 2017

Shipping is free at my local ADI. 

UE
Undisclosed End User #4
Apr 24, 2017

Order on the ADI website and have it shipped to your local branch for free. You gotta pick it up, but they might have a free day-old doughnut.

(1)
UI
Apr 24, 2017

Closest ADI branch is over an hour away....

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Apr 24, 2017

That may be why you're getting hit with shipping.  I do order direct from my rep but use the site for pricing and stock level checks.  I have never gotten charged shipping by ADI in over a decade.  However, I have a branch 15 minutes away.

(2)
UI
Apr 24, 2017

Shipping isn't unexpected. Them shipping my small, 8 item order in 6 separate packages, costing me over $100 for a DVR, PSU, and six cams is ridiculous.

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #5
Apr 26, 2017

Ran into a similiar issue with Anixter years ago where they eventually had to absorb about $40k in costs.  If you can stomach a bit more lead time: Fight it and issue a rule that all orders from here on out are to ship complete from the branch.  I frequently put it right on my PO.

Attention distributors: this is where you could provide some sort of value add beyond financing and drop shipping.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Apr 25, 2017

I use ADI a lot and like the web portal for ordering, their shipping is nonsense though. Finally after about a year or negotiating got them to ship on my UPS account so that I at least get the best possible price on each shipment - it shouldn't cost $15 to UPS a 1 pound box 50 miles...

JH
John Honovich
Apr 25, 2017
IPVM

So is shipping a significant profit center for ADI or? Anyone any insights here?

JH
John Honovich
Apr 26, 2017
IPVM

ADI Corporate response:

ADI does not charge a shipping fee for each product. One shipping fee per order, however if a customer chose to receive multiple shipments, multiple shipping charges could apply. Our online ordering system allows user to specify where the product is coming from and how many are available at that location. 

A customer can call the local branch and request the order to ship complete, which would have only one charge for the entire order.

#1, others, does that make sense? Any follow up questions or feedback?

UI
Apr 26, 2017

I've never seen any options about shipping location or options for where an item ships from. I have use the website via PC browser as well as iOS app. Neither make this info easy to find. If it does exist, it would be nice if they could illustrate where these options exist. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Apr 26, 2017

ADI Corporate response is interesting, there are no choices on the online portal for shipping an order complete. You can call the local branch and get them to ship it complete, the reason for ordering online is so that you don't have to call the branch....

Attached is a screen shot of a sample shopping cart, if you click the "Place Order" button the order is placed and there are no further options for shipping etc. This order will absolutely be two separate shipments with two separate payments, the first item is special order and the second line item is in stock at the local branch.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #7
Apr 26, 2017

Most of our distributors simply give us a minimum dollar amount before we get free shipping (Most are $1000 or $1500), however ScanSource both on the communications and security side gives free shipping on all orders (I think for security there's a minimum of $100 instituted recently, but I can't remember the last time I bought anything under that).

(1)
Brian Hampton
May 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

So I just noticed this the other day and sent an email to my rep about it. I had ordered some demo items shipped directly from the manufacturer. I got charged shipping 3 different times for 3 different items on the same order placed through an email/phone call. One item even had a line item freight charge (a dome IP camera) in addition to the shipping charge. I got a call back from the local branch and said they had credited me back for all the duplicate shipping charges. My rep then called and mentioned that the reason it happens is because they get so many orders that they don't really see it as one order when it comes in. It sends the orders to wherever the product is located and each location ships it out and charges shipping. So it would require someone to physically go in to each order and change the shipping charges when they ship from different locations.

They are still using a MS-DOS type system (look at their screens next time you go in to your local branch.) It's quite antiquated but their system is so robust that I guess it would cost a considerable amount of money to upgrade to something with a mouse.

(2)
JH
John Honovich
May 01, 2017
IPVM

Brian, thanks, informative. I passed your description back to ADI and asked for feedback. They said they are reviewing this and plan to respond. 

RL
Robb Larsen
May 01, 2017

I use ADI quite a bit. Having the online store is huge, especially when it shows my day to day pricing. If I have an order over a couple items, I just call or email my rep, have them ship everything to branch closest to me, then have them ship the entire order at once under one shipping charge. It's something that I have to ask for each time, but they don't seem to have a problem doing it. 

The reason as it was explained to me was they work to ship items as quickly as possible. That means if I purchase items that come from multiple locations dependent on stock, they drop ship everything because it's faster. On one hand I agree and take that into account when I purchase, but mostly, I'm purchasing a month in advance so an extra few days for a lower ship charge is almost always preferred. 

While I was pretty annoyed over the multiple ship charges after realizing it initially, I've found many distributors do this. If I was to make a few suggestions, I would ask:

1. Show the total shipping charge (or at least an estimate) on the quote before purchase.

2. Provide the ability to add my UPS account. This may be possible, I haven't checked; just referencing one of the replies above. If it is possible, well it's still a suggestion to keep us informed. 

3. Take a lesson from Amazon. I've noticed lately I have many items shipping together I made on multiple orders. When you think about the logistics there, that's pretty amazing, but I suppose they have to come up with something when they charge $100/year for all the 2 day shipping you need.

To me, making the purchase easy is priority #1. I like my outside sales guy for Anixter as he's engaged and I would like to buy more from him, but ordering from them is such a pain. ADI does a pretty good job based on their online store and my rockstar inside sales guy. The shipping is the biggest area they can improve on; as I summarize, it mostly comes down to just informing the customer. 

(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
May 01, 2017

I switched to TRIED for this exact reason.  Even after verbal agreements with them to hold all items and send at once from one location. 

SD
Shannon Davis
May 01, 2017
IPVMU Certified

This depends on your account when it is setup. Also the amount of volume your company plays a factor as well. Currently we don't pay for standard shipping. Now if we want it next day or two day then of course we pay for that. Actually I have never worked for a place that had to pay ADI shipping.

(1)
Brian Hampton
May 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

My rep also informed me of this. He said that larger volume customers can work out free shipping but for smaller businesses it's not as easy to do.

JH
John Honovich
May 05, 2017
IPVM

Update: ADI looked into it further and now agrees with commenters here about the multiple shipping charges when ordering via the website/app:

A single order can be held and shipped complete. This is a bit of a manual process now. ADI is in process of ERP system changes are being worked on to insure one shipping charge on multiple shipments of a single order of in stock product.

Shipping charges could apply for individual products if that product is a special order item, shipped direct from manufacturer.

If a customer receives multiple shipping charges on a single order of in stock product, they can review with their branch salesperson and if it was a single order, shipping charges can be credited to one charge. Our web site shows availability and quantity by location. I was incorrect that the customer has the ability to select shipping point.

In the event a customer places multiple orders in a single day, multiple shipping charges would apply, but should be limited to one charge per order.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions