Subscriber Discussion

ADI Returns - Restocking Fee?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 26, 2016

If I return some equipment I recently bought from ADI will they charge a restocking fee? If so, how much? Any way to get out of it.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 26, 2016

which branch?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 26, 2016

Riverside

RR
Richard Ramsowr
Jul 26, 2016

How well do you know your ADI rep?

U
Undisclosed #1
Jul 26, 2016

Not too well, will that help?

(1)
RR
Richard Ramsowr
Jul 26, 2016

The security industry as a whole is built on relationships at all levels. Good relationship produces "give and take". If you are the kind of provider who just pops in picks up your order and runs out, well that doesn't really product much "give and take" does it?

The fact that you even ask the above questions tells me that you need to work on your people skills.

If I don't have a strong relationship that I can depend on, your going to get a nice (form my point of view) restocking fee.

There was a time and that time is beginning to return when a provider used reps to answer questions and resolve issues such as this.

And the industry will be better off when providers get back to using independent reps to solve their issues and support their designs.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jul 26, 2016
IPVMU Certified

If you are the kind of provider who just pops in picks up your order and runs out, well that doesn't really product much "give and take" does it?

It's all "give and take".

He gave his money and took his stuff, now he wants to give his stuff and take his money.

(4)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jul 26, 2016

Often, many variables.

If they had to get a non-stock item from a Manufacturer, then the Manufacturer may impose a restock fee to take it back. Then ADI (or any distributor) may or may not add on to that.

If the item is open you may have a restock fee. This is another one that may also be influenced by the manufacturer of the item and whether ADI (or any distributor) has a stock rotation arrangement with said manufacturer.

If you order nearly exclusively from ADI (or any distributor) and don't repeatedly return tons of items, a restock fee may be waived.

If pieces are missing you may have a restock fee.

If you do a replacement order for other product a restock fee may be waived.

If the ADI Rep. (or any distributor) did a ton of research/design work to help you build the items for the initial order and the return is significant they may have a restock fee to recoup some of their labor.

Those are just some considerations.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jul 26, 2016

It amazes me how many installation companies, typically smaller outfits, that CONSISTENTLY order a good amount of product, and then return 20-25% of the order. THEN get upset that there was a restock fee. That just shows bad preparation and planning. There are guys in my region that, for example, will place a $10,000 order and then return $2k of it. Why?!?

(2)
Brian Karas
Jul 26, 2016
IPVM

There are guys in my region that, for example, will place a $10,000 order and then return $2k of it. Why?!?

Because you let them.

At VideoIQ we had a fairly strict return policy, and generally did not allow for returns unless it was an extreme case. I know this policy was unpopular with some of our integrators, but as a small company we did not want to have to deal with returns (handing out RMA's, tracking incoming returns, re-verifying the equipment, accruing for it on the accounting side, etc.).

For the most part, this just caused integrators to have to plan out their jobs and order the right equipment. We would allow for exchanges for things like mounting brackets, or any case where it did not require a refund.

I can see why integrators would over-order, and then return parts, especially if they have 30 or 60 day terms. They can over-order and effectively have on-site spares, or not have to worry about if they really need the 4mm lens or 6mm lens, just order both and return the one you did not use. With the credit terms there is no cost to them (other than maybe shipping) to do this.

RR
Richard Ramsowr
Jul 26, 2016

Generally speaking the smaller providers are hampered with a full range of issues the more established providers don't suffer under. Mainly cash flow, a last of any real organized ordering software and poor biding skills.

I would bet that as many times as a provider (lagre or small) return a large amount, they also return for more.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 27, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

I'm a small dealer and I don't remember returning much of anything. I have sent back defective units for replacement or credit, but I understand that when I buy something, generally, it's now mine. If I order the wrong part and can't use it immediately, I will find another use for it at some point. In fact, I still have a Raytec White LED illuminator that I bought for testing that I'm sure I will go the the grave with. LOL

(1)
HH
Harvey Hudgins
Jul 27, 2016

ADI does not charge our company a restocking fee on returns. However if it is a special order item you may not be able to return it at all.

U
Undisclosed #4
Jul 27, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Any way to get out of it?

Like this:

ADI: Can I help you with anything?

You: Question, are these ABC cameras ONVIF? I have an ONVIF head that I need to hook into and I'm wasnt sure if they have to be the same brand or anything...

ADI: Yeah, they should work fine, as long it's true a ONBIF recorder it'l fire right up.

You: Great. I didn't know how that worked. I grabbed a few the other day, but I'm gonna need a couple more since I'm on my way up to the site now. If for some reason they don't work, is it going to be a hassle to return them? I should know in 2-3 hours...

ADI: No problem, I'll be here 'til close.

You: I'm sure it'll be fine...

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions