Subscriber Discussion

Adding RTSP Streams To Genetec Security Center

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Mar 29, 2017

Has anyone successfully added a camera to Genetec Security Center using the Genetec Protocol?  I am trying to add an RTSP source but not having any luck.  Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Ethan Ace
Mar 29, 2017

To my knowledge, Genetec doesn't directly support RTSP via URL. You have to make a custom .cam file and import it as its own driver.

I've never done it but I know a couple of people who have. Let me see if I can get a response from them or Genetec. 

(1)
KS
KV Swami
Mar 29, 2017

Hi Ethan,

did you get my email response?

(1)
Ethan Ace
Mar 29, 2017

I didn't, can you try sending it directly to ethan@ipvm.com

It may have gotten caught in a spam filter.

Ethan Ace
Mar 29, 2017

Thanks to KV, I was able to get this working in maybe 5 minutes. You'll need to use the Cam File Editor, which is found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Genetec Security Center 5.x\Extensions

Open this up and make a new file and it'll look something like this:

Steps:

• Give it a manufacturer and product type name (e.g., Milestone / ONVIF Bridge)
  • Pick number of video inputs (we only had 1, but you can do more)
  • Select stream settings, generally RTSP H.264, but maybe jpeg also. 
  • Select software motion detection if you need it
  • Now, this part is a bit tricky. For the URL for each channel, I believe you'll need to copy and paste it from each camera you want to add from each Milestone server. That string shown is a hexidecimal identifier and it varies for every camera, I believe. 
  • The easiest way to get these URLs is from ONVIF Device Manager. If you add the device and look at the live video section, the URL is at the bottom, like so:

• You just need the live/<unique string> part of the URL, and then enter the port to the right.

Click save, reopen Config Tool and it should be listed in your add new Video Unit section.

There are likely some tweaks which can be done to improve the driver, but I'm not knowledgeable on the advanced settings.

Hope this helps (and thanks to KV for the help).

(1)
(5)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Apr 11, 2017

Thanks very much to Ethan Ace and KV Swami for providing details on this question.  The information you provided was very helpful.

Mike Dotson
May 23, 2017
Formerly of Seneca • IPVMU Certified

Just for completeness, the 'Genetec Protocol' is actually used during the certification process to provide a way to get video streams from the Genetec camera simulator tool.

The tool is only useful within Genetec.

MP
Matt Poisson
Nov 14, 2017

Hey guys.

I'm trying to do the same thing but with a Digital Watchdog Universal Encoder (16ch).

I have used the ONVIF device manager to find the RTSP string, created a .CAM file and I can add the camera in Config Tool, but after a few moments the camera turns yellow and it complains that the archiver lost connection with the camera.

Digitwal watchdog will only allow a login on the RTSP stream using the admin username with no password

This is an example of the RTSP stream that works with the admin login

rtsp://192.168.100.129:80/rtsp/unicast/live/profile-1-1

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Nov 15, 2017

Port 80 seems odd for rtsp. 

SR
Samuel Rodgers
Nov 15, 2017

May have to change the connection settings for the camera, under video tab/network settings in config tool. if it's streaming over port 80 may need to run with RTSP over HTTP if that's an option. by default it will probably try to reach the unit on port 554

MP
Matt Poisson
Nov 15, 2017

makes sense now that you mention that. I thought it was odd as well to do RTSP over port 80, but ONVIF device manager found it on port 80 and Digital Watchdog confirmed.

I tested the same scenario with RTSP on a Hik nvr and it worked just fine.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions