Subscriber Discussion

Adding Raid Storage To Exacq Z Series?

LB
Luke Barnhart
May 30, 2017
Securewire Technologies

I have read a few discussions on IPVM on adding storage to other series of recorders and using standard WD Purple drives in non Raid applications.

My question is, are the WD purple drives also sufficient for a Raid setup or will that require  the WD Purple NV drives? 

What is a cost effective yet reliable solution to expanding storage on a Z series. I am an intrusion, Access guy but not much of a PC based video guy.

JP
Joe Piacentino
Jun 22, 2018

I am currently investigating the same thing.  I have a client running a 256ch NVR running 24 4TB WD Purple NV drives running in RAID 6.  4 times in 1 year the array freaks out and rebuilds itself.  In addition we have had to replace in upwards of 6 drives at this site.  We have even had the NVR replaced under warranty just to experience the same damn issues. This is not common for WD drives in my mind.  I am at a total loss as to what could be causing the issues.  The only thing remaining I think is the drives cant handle RAID 6 and a crap load of cameras.  We went with the NV as they are rated for systems above 32 cameras. Perhaps we should have looked at the Blacks for this situation.

Thoughts?

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 22, 2018

Not using Exacq, but on our Honeywell Servers using RAID six, we are using 4tb WD Enterprise Class SAS drives. We don't have a ton of failures, certainly not like Joe has mentioned. But that could be a hardware thing, who knows.

I don't do the ordering, I'm kind of like an End User Integrator. I suspect it's not a super budget friendly set up

JP
Joe Piacentino
Jun 22, 2018

Definitely not a budget friendly system

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Jun 22, 2018

(Full Disclosure - I am an Exacq employee)

The drives in the Z Series are not WD purple.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Jun 22, 2018

I strongly suggest you go with WD Ultrastar drives for this. WD Gold is going EOL.

Ultrastar is the same drive with a different label. PM me if you need additional information.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions