Subscriber Discussion

Adding Old PT Motors And Zoom Lenses To Modern VMS

NG
Nicholas Gouloussis
Oct 05, 2016

Hi everyone,

i am currently exploring my options for a very old (20+ years) system that uses analog cameras and telemetry receiver drivers to control PT motors and zoom lenses.  The requirement is to upgrade to 1080p and migrate to a VMS.  Due to ATEX requirements and constrained budget, it is not possible to replace motors, housings and cabling which is old coaxial and 5 pairs for telemetry.

If i where to use an IP camera within the existing housings i would need something to "extract" the telemetry from the network connection and feed it to the receiver driver.  Does anyone know of any camera bodies or other devices that can do that?

If "extracting" the telemetry signals from the camera is out of the question then i could use an encoder to connect the receiver driver and an IP camera through which to control the lens.  This would require from the VMS to somehow link / merge the operation of two different devices into one.  I haven't seen this anywhere.

Any other ideas / solutions would be greately appreciated.  

Thank you, 

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Oct 06, 2016

Some IP cameras have RS-485 out to feed to a pan/tilt receiver/driver. Check out Hanwha SNB-6004 2MP Box camera

NG
Nicholas Gouloussis
Oct 06, 2016

Hi. This was the solution i was investigating today. Thank you.

NB
Nicolas Bellego
Oct 07, 2016

Hi

You have also this camera with zoom and rs485 connection

http://www.ernitec.com/taurus-sx-zoom.html

HF
Hunter Fort
Oct 06, 2016

Another option would be the use of a Mobotix camera with our 232-IO-BOX which would be able to convert PTZ to RS232. I have a document on how this is done if you would like to email me directly. Hunter.Fort@mobotix.com

HF
Hunter Fort
Oct 06, 2016

I should have also mentioned that depending on the exisiting PT and motorized lens we can control the motorized lens directly as well.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 07, 2016

id be interested to see pics of this old school equip :)

Kevin Nadai
Oct 07, 2016

I'd like to see images from said old school equipment.

Rob Hammond
Oct 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Perhaps a simpler and cleaner solution is to replace the PTZ cameras with 360 or 180 degree multi-imager cameras?

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions