Subscriber Discussion

Adding Chip Information To Camera Information Database?

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 07, 2016
Independent

So, I don't know if anyone has checked out Wikidevi before for router specs, buuuuut... I was thinking, we all have our concerns with camera and recorder hardware and firmware. This could include worries about SoCs, backdoors, actual real hardware specs as opposed to claimed performance, etc. etc.

I mean we do so much testing with them why not do full breakdowns?

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 07, 2016
IPVM

We have a breakdown of an Axis, Dahua and Hikvision camera in progress. I don't know if we are going to do this on an ongoing basis but we are going to try it out. Hopefully the report will be released in the next month.

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 17, 2016
Independent

Do you guys need donated RMAs or do you prefer working models @ demo pricing?

JH
John Honovich
Oct 17, 2016
IPVM

Camera pricing is so cheap now that it's generally irrelevant. We usually buy new units online.

RS
Robert Shih
Oct 17, 2016
Independent

Oh yeah, but we're just talking breakdown pieces. No need to waste money on those for the purpose of chip identification. We could hold an old camera donation drive for IPVM to breakdown and investigate for the chip information in the database. The closer we can get to having info like on Wikidevi, the better!

JH
John Honovich
Oct 17, 2016
IPVM

We could hold an old camera donation drive for IPVM to breakdown and investigate for the chip information in the database.

That takes time, which is money for us too. Also, if they are old, they are inherently of less interest to members.

The big thing is the time to do the teardown and the biggest is the knowledge of the components.

We definitely want to do teardowns and hope we can release the first in the series by the end of this month / October.

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Oct 18, 2016

Here is tip for you,

see if you can get from every manufacture

HTML string (SHTML) which can read info about camera

including sensor,lenses and more

look for firmware data dump

U
Undisclosed #2
Oct 18, 2016
IPVMU Certified

HTML string (SHTML) which can read info about camera including sensor,lenses and more...

Chips lie.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions