Subscriber Discussion

Manufacturer Touts "Made In USA" Angle. Good Or Bad Move?

Brian Karas
Dec 27, 2016
IPVM

Dotworkz featured this image in a recent email campaign, but their website does not call attention to the "Made In The US" aspect of their products.

Is this a good marketing angle for Dotworkz?  Does "Made In America" imply quality accessories and affordability?

RS
Robert Shih
Dec 27, 2016
Independent

https://panjiva.com/Dotworkz-Systems/4703956

I believe this is another case of false advertising.

Brian Karas
Dec 28, 2016
IPVM

Robert - 

I asked Dotworkz about this. They said:

All of our plastic , PCBs, bent metal, labor , even injection molds, optical lenses are all US made with most parts made in San Diego. 

It's that one single part is just not available in the US due to the expertise with stainless molding with this one suppliers technology in Taiwan that came from the bicycle industry. 
(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Dec 28, 2016
Independent

Fair enough. Couldn't find much more on them for shipping.

Jon Dillabaugh
Dec 28, 2016
Pro Focus LLC

How could "Made in the USA" be a bad thing?

(2)
(1)
Brian Karas
Dec 28, 2016
IPVM

In a highly price-sensitive market I could see "Made In America" being equated with "overpriced", causing some number of customers to not even look at the products.

For passive devices like accessories there is less of a security concern, and I think that in general if Hikvision was a brackets-and-enclosures company owned by the Chinese government people would be far less concerned it vs. their network cameras and recorders.

So, does "Made In America" make you think something like "higher quality, worth a premium price", or "I can get a Chinese version cheaper", or something else entirely?

(2)
Joseph Parker
Dec 28, 2016

Cars?

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 02, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Watches?

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Dec 28, 2016

Bad move if someone calls them out on it and they're held accountable. Good move if they get away with it (they will).

In our experience no one ACTUALLY cares about American ownership, American assembly, or American anything. In a conversation socially, sure, they'll say they prefer American. In real life, speaking with dollars, they prefer Chinese.

Until the government does something to protect Americans it really doesn't matter. No one actually cares.

(4)
(2)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jan 02, 2017

I dont think it really means anything anymore.

Many if not most manufacturers are multinational entities, selling and manufacturing in dozens of countries across the globe. 

There tends to be a very antiquated mindset among many who see things in the old way of "American companies" vs. "Foreign companies". In today's world, you can buy a "German" Volkswagen built in Tennessee by American workers, and you can buy an "American" Dodge Challenger built in Ontario Canada by Canadian workers.  

Axis Cameras is a Swedish company owned by a Japanese conglomerate and manufactures in Mexico! Yet none of that changes the fact that on balance they produce a world-class product. 

(1)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jan 02, 2017

Axis---> World Class product= ?

(1)
UI
Jan 02, 2017

It Sure is. Have thousands of them installed, overall outstanding performance, extremely low failure rate. Happy customers.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 03, 2017
IPVM

Axis---> World Class product= ?

Really? Are you really going to go that far?

Axis still integrator's top favorite (2016). You can certainly criticize them on price or channel strategy or choose to use others but hard to legitimately say Axis is not world class (i.e., in the top tier).

(1)
David Coughlin
Jan 03, 2017
Protection One / ADT

"World Class" is a very subjective term and, it's open to varying definitions. For example, McDonald's is a World Class restaurant. Is it the best quality? Is it something that you want to live on? If you define "Top-Tier" as having consistent quality and availability in every world market, then McD's is a Top-Tier restaurant. 

Also, "Made-In-America" is subject to definition. For example, the federal government has requirements for items that must be made in America that include percentages of materials and allowances for foreign components and raw materials that are assembled in America. Some definitions even allow for NAFTA goods to be labeled "Made in America."

As a recovering attorney, I don't want to be accused of asking what the definition of "is" is but, it's important to have a basis for understanding the labels that are thrown around in discussions. 

My $.02 is product evaluations should be made based upon actual performance. This can include the products and/or manufacturer's stability and impact on the market in addition to its quality and consistency.

(1)
UI
Jan 03, 2017

I wouldn't say the term world calss id being "thrown around" here - The definition of World Class is "Among the best in the world". Axis, being a pioneer in IP video and consistently holding among the top tier in performance, sales and client loyalty could not be classified as anything other than world class in the security industry.  

UD
Undisclosed Distributor #4
Jan 03, 2017

Then Dahua, Hik and UNV are also world class. When every player in the game is "World Class" it diminishes the term.

(1)
RS
Robert Shih
Jan 03, 2017
Independent

Woooow...seriously?
Even ignoring their quality, which leads the industry in most cases, they're a Swedish company that has merged with Canon (a Japanese company which Axis basically performed a reverse takeover of the sales for surveillance cameras of), who also acquired Milestone from Denmark.

Maybe you mean Accessible to 3rd World Pricing for your standards.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions