Subscriber Discussion

Access Control With Turnstile?

js
james spenn
Aug 18, 2014

Hi,

I have a job to install a fingerprint system with time attendance for a turnstile on a construction site but the turnstile has a motor and I'm not sure how to go about integrating it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 18, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Hello James:

This is a fun application. Do you have a make/model on the turnstile?

I'm not clear on what the motor does here. Does it mechanically turn the turnstile? Usually the turnstile is not 'locked' by a motor (but a solenoid or similar) so that sounds a little uncommon.

The way to tackle this: the motor is triggered to turn somehow/somewhere. That point is where you connect the controller outputs on the access reader. You probably need a relay to get it done.

If you can share more details, we can get a deeper answer.

js
james spenn
Aug 18, 2014

Thanks Brian. No, it's got no markings on it (really annoying!) and yes, the motor turns the turnstile (the turnstile is one of those vertical ones that you get at stadiums) and it only spins once activated.

Brian Rhodes
Aug 18, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Wow. When it is activated now, how is it turned on?

JG
John Grocke
Aug 18, 2014

Can you post some pictures of the turnstile and it's internal workings? Maybe that will help.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions