Subscriber Discussion

Access Control System Recommendations

U
Undisclosed #1
May 07, 2013
We currently have a new building under construction for which I'm looking to install an access control system. The system would be used on 4 exterior doors and 3 interior doors to start. The building has a central IT closet, and the farthest door is 75 ft away.

I'd prefer to do the install myself. The majority of the building is solid wood walls, so all wiring must either be run (visibly) on the wall, or run under the floor slab. My thought is to keep most of the controllers in the IT closer and run 1" conduit under the slab and directly up into the door frame to wire the readers, position switch, and strike. Any thoughts on this vs having a junction box above the door.

The one question I still have is which system to go with. S2 Netbox and Lenel GoEntry 3.0 are some options I've looked at, however one of the main issues is that both systems need to be bought through an authorized dealer. Would anyone here care to recommend a system which you believe would work well for us. I was hoping to use HID iClass SE readers.

Thanks

JS
Jeppie Sumpter
May 07, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Not to stray, I'm trying to wrap my head around "majority...solid wood walls"? Are you building a log cabin? :)

U
Undisclosed #1
May 07, 2013

The building is constructed of cross laminated timber. In this case the structural wood wall is the finished surface and there is no stud wall to run wires through. We're trying to leave the wood as undisturbed as possible.

Finished wall looks somewhat like this:

Brian Rhodes
May 07, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Great question, undisclosed!

Let's see what the recommendations from readers are. Here are a couple of additional questions to help get you the right answer:

1. Are you open to wireless suggestions in lieu of wired systems?

2. If the system grows beyond 7 doors, what is the maximum number of doors you're looking at controlling?

3. Explain why you're thinking SE readers. Are you thinking NFC? Any existing Prox/AWID credentials in use?

4. Do you need to see the system remotely? (Via browser)

5. Is there also an intrusion alarm system at this facility? If so, what is it?

Thanks!

U
Undisclosed #1
May 07, 2013

1. Are you open to wireless suggestions in lieu of wired systems?

> I've considered wireless, however our door hardware is already ordered, and I feel more comfortable with hardwired equipment.

2. If the system grows beyond 7 doors, what is the maximum number of doors you're looking at controlling?

> I don't see it going past 9 doors over the next 5 years. Only way it would increase is if we expanded our building (unlikely)

3. Explain why you're thinking SE readers. Are you thinking NFC? Any existing Prox/AWID credentials in use?

> I was under the understanding from the HID website that SE readers were more secure. I'm sure NFC would be a few years out if we were to use it. No existing prox credentials in use currently.

4. Do you need to see the system remotely? (Via browser)

> Yes

5. Is there also an intrusion alarm system at this facility? If so, what is it?

> There will be an alarm system however we haven't chosen a system yet. The building is currently under construction and alarm/access control install could start very soon.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
May 07, 2013

I have assisted a company that installed Keyscan. It is very easy to install and program and very easy to expand. dormakaba USA - Smart access solutions">dormakaba USA - Smart access solutions This company was an I.T. company and already had an account at the vendor.

Several questions, since you are going to have a seperate alarm system are you more concerned about unathorized access or the controlling of doors and absolutely knowing when they are opened and/or held open? Will your employees take the system seriously? Will there be employees that will read their card and hold the door open for others to enter on their cardread? Will they prop doors if there is no held open alarm? Will you have a designated person that will be in charge of the database? Strict accountability of cards and no duplicates, loaners or vendor only cards used as a temp fix?

How is your electrical going to be run through conduit, wiremold or predrilled walls?

RJ
Reid Jones
May 08, 2013

Thanks for the recommendation.

The main goal is to rid ourselves of numerous keys and allow managers to have full time access to the building, while other employees only have access while a manager is on duty (store is open). The exterior doors around our warehouse are always locked, so without a access control system the only option is to give all staff members keys to the building.

As far as proped open doors, it is not a huge concern of mine, however I will have the electric strikes monitored to ensure that all doors are locked.

NS
Nick Sanko
May 08, 2013

Our company uses Tyco based access control either, Maxsys or Kantech depending on the situation. Maxsys (for smaller installations as 1 4820 controller will do only 2 doors and requires integration with alarm system module off the hop) or Kantech which has 1, 2, and 4 door controller units. Kantech requires the use of a server to control doors, inputs, outputs, request to exits, etc and is very powerful. There are several software versions available, and they host an assortment of options for full video and alarm integration, as well as other modules (wireless key fob, card used display for security officers and an assortment of other modules). Several clients have opted to use IO prox keypad/reader units as they are able to arm/disarm from the reader, as well as see the alarm status via the reader LED.

Kantech recently launched the Intevo server, which is access control server/vms all in one. We only have one out in the wild at this point, but it is quite an impressive unit. They also have a demo version of sofware to play with to get familiar with how things operate.

RJ
Reid Jones
Jun 02, 2013

Hi Nick. A few quick questions about the Kantech system, mainly regarding DSC integration.

1. The KT-400 manual says "The reader(s), that is(are) designated to arm or disarm the alarm system, must be within the secured side of the customer premises." This sounds backwards to me. My understanding was that the secured side is the inside of the building. I would like the disarm reader on the outside of the building.

2. Can I use HID iClass / iClass SE readers with keypads to disarm the alarm system. From what I see, it looks like Kantech controllers are restricted to their own brand of readers.

3. Would the following situation be possible with the Kantech system:

- Door is locked and armed. Manager comes to work in the morning and uses keycard and pin to disarm alarm (first-person in). Doors remain locked, but other employees can now enter the building with just the keycard. During normal business hours, the doors unlock (so long as manager is on duty/alarm is off).

Thanks for the help!

RJ
Reid Jones
May 09, 2013

Would a system such as the S2 Netbox support iClass SE, or only iClass?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
May 10, 2013

They both output wiegand so you can use either. If you just want a card to open a door then IClass or any technology will fit the bill.

Brian Rhodes
Jun 03, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Hello, Reid:

I suspect that 'secured side' requirement is more procedural best practice than technology based. Consider a traditional burg system: the keypad that disarms the system is located inside (the secured side). If someone defeats the door, or crawls through a window, or by whatever means gains unauthorized access, the intrusion alarm is yet another layer of security to be addressed. Recommending two readers mean that someone cannot pick up or steal a credential and singlehandedly disarm both systems from outside a building.

However, I cannot think of a tech limitation that would prevent an externally mounted reader from disarming an intrusion system. You may not be able to use one reader for both functions (two readers may be required), but I would think it could be installed that way regardless.

At the least, consider using a multi-factor authentication (eg: iClass & PIN) to disarm and open the doors if readers are mounted outside. Layered security is fundamental to good security!

Interesting application, thanks for sharing.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions