Axis Declares Entry Manager Is Great - Absurd Or Not?

Brian Rhodes
Jun 29, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Axis tweeted this recently:

For those unfamiliar, 'Entry Manager' (our test here) is the embedded, free access management software that is packaged free with their A1001 controller.

While inexpensive, it lacks many features, and calling it 'GREAT' seems a stretch.  

For example, it does not integrate any video (not even Axis' own cameras), lacks any photo ID storage for identity verification, has no option for redundant (off-controller) storage, and does not integrate with intrusion, elevator, visitor management or fire systems.  

Those gaps aren't just a random list- they are ones commonly needed and used in the School and Education vertical, where Axis is touting their Entry Manager as great...

For those with experience, how often do you use Axis Entry Manager for clients? Do you think it is great?

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #1
Jun 29, 2017

We have used Axis entry manager sparingly for some clients that need to get access control in, and don't have the funding immediately but know that they will upgrade in the future (in our case we then bring in Genetec to bring those controllers in to). It is a decent low feature entry level access system, but you are spot on in that it doesn't have enough features to exist standalone in a school environment if they are looking to do anything advanced with it (though it is great in being able to bring in a no-software option that can then be brought into an enterprise level system later)

(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Jun 29, 2017

Definitely not great.

I have used it in the past and there are some pretty severe limitations... at least as of 2 years ago when we last put one in.  Without a third party software controlling the units it is cumbersome and memory limited.  The peer to peer nature of the out of the box on units is fairly unique and interesting but the moment another software takes them over those features are irrelevant.  I don't think it is a bad product, just limited (perhaps intentionally?).  If there is say a half dozen doors or less and low user count they are usable but I would not lead with it.  Perhaps this scale and cost makes it great to schools... I have not done school work in a while.

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions