Subscriber Discussion

A True PoE Class 1 Camera?

Brian Karas
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

Does anybody know of a PoE camera that also reports itself as Class 1?

I recently bought a Netgear PoE/PD switch, thinking that I could hang 2 low-power cameras off of it and create a sort of ad-hoc multi-sensor camera setup.

However, I can only get it to power up 1 camera at a time, it won't power 2 PoE devices. I *think* this might be due to the cameras not reporting a specific PoE Class, and just defaulting to Class 0, leaving the switch thinking it won't have power budget for 2 devices. I've tried PoE and PoE+, and a variety of cameras I have on-hand that should be low-power.

Some of the comments on Amazon show people having similar problems, so it may be the switch itself.

This unit does seem to make a good PoE-powered cable extender at the very least.

If someone knows of a true Class 1 PoE camera of any type/style, let me know as I'd like to test and see if I can power some combination of 2 cameras with this device.

JH
John Honovich
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

Check the Mobotix approach:

Not all Mobotix cameras support class 1 but it seems variable PoE / PoE class software selection is typical for Mobotix.

Brian Karas
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

Interesting, though I'd prefer to find something cheaper.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Mar 15, 2016

John recommends Mobitix ..... What is the world coming to?

JH
John Honovich
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

And Mobotix cameras are now under $500!!!!

of course, the going rate for cameras today is $150 $50 $15....

(1)
Brian Karas
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

The funny thing is, this is where Mobotix has always had a lot of applicability: somewhat weird low-power non-standard deployments. I should have thought to check Mobotix first, though I'd really prefer to just find a simple $100ish mini dome kind of camera.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #2
Mar 15, 2016

Veracity used to have a device - OUTCLASS that fixed devices that reported class 0 back down too class 2. I wonder if there is a similar device for class 1...??

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Brian, have you tried forcing a power class in the switch itself for each port?

This is a common situation when using a managed switch that doesn't have enough total POE to cover all ports at full power.

Typically, most cameras report Class 0, which means the switch must be able to provide up to 15W to the camera at any time. This leaves very little to power the switch and another connection.

By 'forcing' a power class, you are in effect saying that this camera will take no more than X watts, and therefore there will be power available.

Brian Karas
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

Brian, have you tried forcing a power class in the switch itself for each port?

Not an option with this cheap switch.

MM
Michael Miller
Mar 15, 2016

Sony looks to have a camera to fit your needs: SNCCH110/B

(1)
Brian Karas
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

Hmmm.

Not sure that I want to spend $280 on a 1.3MP bullet cam. I wouldn't mind the price if the camera was better.

My thought was that this Netgear switch could be a viable way to add an extra camera onto an existing cable run without having to run more cable or get a bunch of specialty equipment. So far it's seeming like there may not be a lowish cost Class 1 camera.

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

In case you didnt see this:

Also, as you probably know, there doesnt look like there is a way to force power class. This would be truly idiotic and worse than an unmanaged switch.

So you may need two cameras that report a non-zero power class...

Brian Karas
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

Thanks, I did see that in the docs for my switch (I had to dig the mini-manual out of the trash originally ;) ).

The docs make it seem as if unused power from Port 1 will cascade to Port 2. So I *think* a Class 1 device on Port 1 will allow Port 2 to power something, but maybe not if that "something" reports as Class 0.

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Suggest Camswitch Plus from veracity:

Brian Karas
Mar 15, 2016
IPVM

Oh yeah, I forgot about that after seeing it as ISC West last year. Thanks!

Brian Karas
Mar 21, 2016
IPVM

Update.

Mike Miller was nice enough to send me a Sony SNC-CH110 camera he had on hand. The Sony camera reports a proper PoE class, which the Netgear switches recognizes.

I can power up the Sony camera and an Avigilon Microdome at the same time.

I couldn't power up the Sony camera and a Dahua mini dome.

I think the Avigilon Microdome might be reporting itself as a Class II device, allowing the switch to determine it can power both devices. I suspect the Dahua camera reports a default class, so the switch won't let it power up.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #4
Mar 21, 2016

I just measure

Avigilon microdome consume 3.1watt

Brian Karas
Mar 21, 2016
IPVM

The Dahua camera is also low power. I think the key is that the camera needs to report an actual PoE class, or else the switch blocks power for fear of exceeding power budget. Because the switch itself is PoE-powered it needs to make sure the upstream supply does not get overdrawn, or else the switch itself would go offline.

U
Undisclosed #3
Mar 21, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Because the switch itself is PoE-powered it needs to make sure the upstream supply does not get overdrawn, or else the switch itself would go offline.

btw, I have seen this behavior in switches whether they are POE powered or not, and I think it is the correct behavior, in all managed switches.

Because, in class 0, the PSE makes a "contract" to output up to 15 watts. The PD once powered can count on this. Therefore a second class 0 contract cannot be made in a switch with 19W total POE, even when the connected devices draw minimally.

But importantly these managed switches let you manually assign classes to those who default, allowing you to allocate the full budget to where it is needed.

Compare to an unmanaged switch that will just give everyone who asks power and then (typically) starve everyone a bit when the current swells come. But if the switch has enough total POE power for the actual draws, this way is simpler.

In the case of this Netgear switch it really combines the worst of both worlds, the need to manually assign detected POE classes without the ability to do so.

Maybe a new firmware is on the way?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions