Subscriber Discussion

A Little Floored: Customer Struggles With IP

Mark Jones
Mar 30, 2017

Perhaps others have seen this before, but this is my first time with this kind of thinking (even after 30 years).  I have a good customer, heavy manufacturing, and one of the team members thinks Nest Cam is every bit as good as the upper-end products.  My first reaction was to tell myself I did a bad job of explaining the technology, but when I look back, I don't think so.  It never really occurred to me Nest Cam like technology would be in the mix.  I honestly thought they were smarter than that.  OR am I missing something?  The system consists of 2 remote (radio) plate reader cameras (Platesmart), 7 - 180 cameras for the parking lots, and 4 interior cameras for the warehouse floor, with VMS software.  Any advice?

U
Undisclosed #1
Mar 30, 2017

You could suggest the customer purchase a time machine and go into the future about 10 years to when Nest has all the functionality needed to properly manage this customers surveillance application requirements.

(1)
(1)
(4)
Brian Karas
Mar 30, 2017
IPVM

Is this because that person has used the Nest cam personally, or just read about it?

Depending on the size of the deal, it could be worth buying a Nest cam to do a shootout, as well as illustrate some of the physical deficiencies (see our Nest Announces Outdoor Camera With Numerous Flaws report).

(1)
Mark Jones
Mar 30, 2017

Yes Brian, he has it in his house and is pleased with it.  

Brian Karas
Mar 30, 2017
IPVM

Then ask him to bring it to the office for a shootout/comparison between the Nest cam, its web interface, and your proposed solution.

I would think if your system can not beat out the Nest cam in a real-world use case scenario, then something is very wrong (or, the customer needs are very minimal, but that does not seem like it if they are doing LPR).

Comparing low-light performance, detail, interface simplicity, scrubbing video, retention time, etc. should highlight why the Nest is a consumer product and not a business one.

(1)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Mar 30, 2017
IPVMU Certified

We are in the same boat, maybe. We have a client that loves Ubiquiti cameras and is spending a lot of money to have them put in. Not sure how the Ubiquitis compare to the Nest, but I am not impressed with the cameras.

We explained the differences, gave them a demo, and they just like the way the Ubiquitis are cloud managed, the interface and that they all include audio.

They keep my crew busy so hey, go Ubiquiti !!

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Apr 13, 2017

What didn't you like about the Ubiquiti cameras? For permanent install, the Ubiquiti cameras are a lot more robust than the Nest outdoor cam.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Apr 14, 2017
IPVMU Certified
  • They do not integrate into any other software (maybe via rtsp, not sure)
  • The software does not allow other cameras
  • 2 camera choices, 2MP Dome, 2 MP bullet
  • the domes are not even outdoor rated, and certainly not vandal resistant
  • no wall mount for the dome, not 3 axis, and the slot to route the cat5 cable is in FRONT of the camera

I do not think this is an appropriate camera to cover an apartment community, where you they are putting up 30+ cameras. 

We can get a 4MP Dahua dome that is IP10,IP67 rated with analytics, ONVIF, etc for less than that Ubiquiti camera

(1)
Christopher Uiterwyk
Mar 30, 2017
IPConfigure

--> $10,000 Free VMS Licenses For New Dealers IPConfigure

Orchid UI's was developed with some inspiration from the Nest Cam UI (DropCam) a few years back.  There is no simpler interface in the commercial security market today, download it for free to test.

(IPConfigure CEO)

(2)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Mar 30, 2017

This is a continuation of the old "why should I buy your equipment when Costco cameras work just fine for $500?"

Here are some items for them to consider:

1. Monthly recurring Nest storage fees for X cameras.

2. Bandwidth to the cloud - do they have it?  Maybe crunch some numbers for them on this.

3.  Lack of variety in cameras - there are only a couple models of Nest product... you get what you get.

4. Wifi coverage - do they have it?

(3)
(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Mar 30, 2017

You could also mention the interference between multiple Nest cameras in a small area.

(1)
UE
Undisclosed End User #5
Apr 15, 2017

"This is a continuation of the old "why should I buy your equipment when Costco cameras work just fine for $500?"

But the fact is, for many small business, a Costco system in a box will work fine.  If the business owners options are NO camera system, or a $500.00 or less Costco camera in a box system, the Costco cameras are better than nothing. The fact is 720p is "good enough" for most places, these systems usually just work with no interaction from the non tech savvy end user, and there is no reoccurring cost.  Most small business could care less if it is un-secure, even if that is found out after the fact, these places will not care enough to upgrade to something else, until the current system dies.  Places that use these camera systems are never going to be a customer of anyone here anyways, so why worry about it.  I see a lot of negativity to some end users here, so what if they buy $20.00 Hik cameras off amazon, or a Costco camera system.   We all cringe when we go into most of these places and see the wires hanging down, horrible installs,etc..  but it may work for these people, they may just want to watch the minimum wadge employee when they are home. 

U
Undisclosed #6
Apr 15, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Places that use these camera systems are never going to be a customer of anyone here anyways, so why worry about it.

Disagree.  Today's do-it-yourself guy is often tommorow's please-fix-this-for-me guy.  

Not necessarily the best of customers, (probably cheap, knows pricing), but it feeds the wide bottom of the food chain, which is essential for those far above who prefer red meat over grass.

(1)
Tyler Blake
Mar 31, 2017
BCI Integrated Solutions

Demo a 360 fisheye or multi-imagery and something in low light. Honestly I hand my phone to customers with the oncam app every sales pitch I do now and people think it is super cool. Whether or not fisheyes are even right for the customer it changes the conversation from what is cheapest to what tech is cool/futuristic coming down the pipe that they should take advantage of and if you tell them a 360 camera can save them money somehow by eliminating 4 cameras they usually trust your expertise and belief you are looking out for their best interests for the rest of the project.

I do do understand your situation here and I won a couple fights against a half deployed ubiquiti system and barracuda system in the last month with people that believed the same thing as the nest cams.

Matthew Netardus
Apr 13, 2017
IPVMU Certified

For a system that size, are all the cameras ONVIF Profile S? If so, then I think a simple solution such as ipConfigure's Orchid could be a cost competitive solution that would be significantly more stable/secure than the Nest system

(1)
(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions