Subscriber Discussion

A Little Embarrassed And Pissed About This But Its My Fault (Analytics Missed Camera Theft)

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 16, 2017

Need everyone's help here......I had someone rip off one of my cameras at my home. This camera covers the corner of my lot and the guy had to backup his Lincoln navigator up on the curb nearly hitting my block wall in order to reach the camera. The dome camera was mounted about 10 feet from the ground using a wall mount bracket and was anchored to the concrete pillar. It didn't take the guy very long to pry it off the wall.

Here is the video below. Might want forward to about a minute in:

[IPVM Insert: clip from video of guy prying the camera off the wall:

I have an AgentVi Innovi analytics device that I have been quite satisfied with but did not send a notification for this. I might not have had the rule covering the camera set up properly but I'm really disappointed because I think it should have notified me.

Other than mounting the camera without the bracket and higher what do you guys do to make sure stuff like this does not happen and or someone is notified in real time?

(2)
Greg Thornbury
Jul 16, 2017
Facility Solutions Group, Inc. • IPVMU Certified

Well, that does suck.

I'd be more worried about what they're planning to do next that makes them want to get rid of that camera.

Greg

(2)
Jonathan Lawry
Jul 16, 2017
Trecerdo, LLC

Did you provide this to law enforcement?  There's a pretty good shot of the guy's face. You would think that they would have been more careful about that, considering they apparently thought to not have visible vehicle tags.

(2)
UI
Jul 17, 2017

Not yet but I will be.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 17, 2017
IPVM

#1, I embedded the video and included a snapshot of the person's face to make it easier for people to see / understand what is happening.

Have you reviewed your settings with AgentVI tech support? If not, I recommended that to figure out why it missed sending a notification.

How are your notifications set up right now? Who do they go to? Email or?

(1)
UI
Jul 17, 2017

Have not reviewed it yet with them. I have a rule setup for people crossing into the area not for vehicles. The problem is that there was no event/alarm triggered therefore no notification. I just installed the device for my own testing purposes and have it setup to email me right now with the intent of  central station video monitoring at a later date but again the issue here was no alarm triggered. 

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jul 17, 2017
IPVM

Have not reviewed it yet with them. I have a rule setup for people crossing into the area not for vehicles.

Check with them, specifically see if there are certain minimum size conditions for detecting people. In that video, all the people are partially occluded so the analytics may not alert because of that. I can't say that specifically to your setup, since I don't know it's details but that is a general concern for analytic detection.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Might not be too hard to track this vehicle down, Lincoln Navigator with Mitsubishi dealer plate, possibly bought at auction on June 23th...

(2)
(9)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Jul 17, 2017

This was a dome attached to a wall mount bracket and was literally ripped from a concrete pillar. Can you provide an image example of the setup? Not so concerned about the dome, but the bracket that held it in place. Might help some of us in making our installs a little more resistant to vandals and thieves.

(3)
JH
Jay Hobdy
Jul 17, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I would definitely be on the lookout for what is next. Do you have a boat, motorcycles, anything of value nearby?

We install in some pretty crappy areas and have never seem anyone remove a camera. Manipulate bullets, smash domes, spray paint, yes but never remove.

I would forward to authorities, send the pic to Mitsubishi dealers, and blast Facebook. Maybe even send to news stations or post to their facebook pages

(3)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions