$99 Wireless HDMI - Surveillance Applications?

Brian Rhodes
Mar 31, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Here's a startup crowdfunding a $99 wireless HDMI dongle. The video below gives a good demo of the device and how it can be generally used:

For surveillance applications, this might be a good method of projecting camera views / VMS client to a public view monitor, especially for $99.

What do you think?

AK
Alex K
Mar 31, 2014

I guess it's similar to Intel® Wireless Display (Intel® WiDi).

Right ?

Brian Rhodes
Apr 01, 2014
IPVMU Certified

That is cool. I have never heard of WiDi before.

I think the major difference in WiDi vs. AIRTAME is that WiDi is available only on select Intel devices:

Users will need Intel®-basedtablets, Ultrabook™ devices, and 2-in-1 devices with 4th generation Intel® Core™ vPro™ processors. For the displays, look for TVs, projectors, or adapters with "Certified for Intel® Pro WiDi" in the device specifications.

where AIRTAME is open and can be used with any wifi enabled computer.

AK
Alex K
Apr 01, 2014

Yep, I know that

plus few more "stupid proprietary standards exist"

drive me crazy :)

JA
J. A. 'Cal' Calcaterra
Apr 01, 2014

Chromecast for $35? Search |chromeast|

What is Chromecast?

Chromecast is a thumb-sized media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Set it up with a simple mobile app, then send your favorite online shows, movies, music and more to your TV using your smartphone, tablet or laptop.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 01, 2014
IPVMU Certified

I believe Chromecast only allows mirroring of Chrome-browser based content or streams from web content providers like Netflix.

JA
J. A. 'Cal' Calcaterra
Apr 01, 2014

Brian, Don't use. Only seen ads on TV and went to the Web Site. It does show Netlix along with:

"Watch thousands of TV shows and movies on your TV. See everything you can enjoy with Chromecast. Go big when you go home. Enjoy YouTube on the best screen in the house. Watch your favorite HBO® original series and hit movies directly on your TV. Instantly watch hit TV shows using your Hulu Plus subscription. Listen to free, personalized radio from Pandora on the best speakers in your home. Watch handpicked Hollywood movies, TV series and originals. Whenever, wherever. Send movies, TV shows, and music from Google Play to your TV."

And with most offerings there is usually a catch or two.

Chromecast requirements?

"The Google Cast extension is available on all platforms, including Chrome OS, Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. There are no specific hardware requirements in order to install or use the Google Cast extension. However, casting video from a tab of your Chrome Browser has specific requirements depending on your chosen quality settings. Systems that do not meet these minimum requirements will be limited to projecting web pages, images and slideshows, and will not work well for video content. A strong Wi-Fi connection both on Chromecast and your computer is also required for good performance. "

Don't know if Googlecast and Chromecast is different.

Brian Rhodes
Apr 01, 2014
IPVMU Certified

Google Cast is an extension of the Chrome browser that allows you to use Chromecast to mirror content to TVs.

Chromecast is not the same thing as AIRTAME. AIRTAME allows you to send the live screen of a computer to an enabled TV. Chromecast allows you to send the content of a Chrome browser window to an enabled TV.

For surveillance, this could be very important. Unless your viewing client is browser based, Chromecast will not be useful.

Luis Carmona
Apr 01, 2014
Geutebruck USA • IPVMU Certified

It seems you need to load software on the computer to stream, which is disappointing. I wish there was a transmitter and receiver pair you could connect to the video out on your laptop and the other to the video in on the monitor and not have to load any software. It would make connecting to our ceiling mounted projector a lot easier.

AK
Alex K
Apr 01, 2014

The GefenTV Wireless for HDMI Extender

"I wish there was a transmitter and receiver pair you could connect to the video out on your laptop and the other to the video in on the monitor and not have to load any software. It would make connecting to our ceiling mounted projector a lot easier."

Luis Carmona
Apr 01, 2014

I've looked at Gefen before, and that unit you linked wouldn't work exactly like I want, but looking further I found what looks like a new product that does...

GefenTV Wireless HDMI Extender with USB powered transmitter,

So thank you very much for prompting me to look again.

Now to keep it relevant, as compared to Airtame, I'm sure these units are more expensive. So I guess it depends if you want to load streaming software or not.

AK
Alex K
Apr 01, 2014

One more for you to check

Nyrius ARIES

Luis Carmona
Apr 05, 2014
KL
Keefe Lovgren
Apr 01, 2014
IPVMU Certified

if they are reliable i would buy them by the box if available... so many applications where this would be a good fit vs. running single and duat category cables for hdmi extenders.

RA
Ross Andersen
Apr 02, 2014

I have used the Nyrius a few times in my home. I have the Home + and works great for the multiple laptops and other stuff we have in our home. We have even incorporated the Prime with 4 other sticks to display AXIS Camera station on 3 other main monitors around a security office we have done before.

Great product but not the cheapest.

DG
Dwayne Grant
Apr 03, 2014

Has anyone tried Eyespy FX (PVM) app to view surveillance on a public monitor or a tv thru an iPhone? Only for use with AXIS Camera Companion.

http://www.eyespyfx.com/pvm.php

KM
Kaaren McIsaac
Apr 17, 2014

Philips makes a nice wireless HDMI solution with no software to install. It's worked brilliantly in our conference room in the office for months, but then failed us in the booth at ISC West with pixelation and lag issues. I'm not sure what the issue was but it was so bad we didn't use it as intended.

$120 but finding it is getting tough (either selling like wildfire or stopped making it is my guess).

Wireless HD Net Connect SWW1890/27 | Philips

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions