Subscriber Discussion

What Switch Should I Use? 66 Cameras, 12 Watts Per Camera?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jul 23, 2015

Need some help finding a cost effective, rack mounted, POE switch setup with plug and play capablility.

I have 66 POE devices for an averaged total of 792 watts of POE power (12 watts per device). Our techs do not have experience dealing with managed switches. If anyone has any suggestions for a setup like this on a $1,300 budget (approximate) I would appreciate it. Thanks

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2015
IPVM

So you have $1,300 for all switches to support all 66 devices, correct?

In terms of the topology / layout, are the camera close enough that you can use a total of (3) 24-port switches?

The main restriction you will have is getting switch models that support 15 watts per port as many switches only support an average of 7.5 watts per port.

This guide may help: Favorite Network Switches for Surveillance 2015. I'll let others make specific product suggestions.

UI
Jul 23, 2015

They are all come back to the same server room and yes, that is exactly my issue. Not sure where my head was at when I bid the job, but luckly I have been saving on material elsewhere to make up the difference. Unless I can get a deal somewhere it looks like a $600 miss.

Thank you for your input and if anyone else has a suggestion I am certainly open to it.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 23, 2015
IPVM

The HP 1910 365 watt, 24 port version is ~$600 online, so $1800 total.

Let's see what else others suggest.

TC
Trisha (Chris' wife) Dearing
Jul 24, 2015
IPVMU Certified

What about one Ubiquiti 48 port EdgeSwitch 750 POE and one Ubiquiti 24 port EdgeSwitch 250 POE?

72 ports 1000w. Just fill up the 48 port one first. Retail price around $1350

Ubiquiti Networks EdgeSwitch ES-48-750W Managed PoE+ Gigabit Switches with SFPUbiquiti Networks EdgeSwitch 24 Port 250 Watt Managed PoE+ Gigabit Switch with SFP

(2)
(1)
UI
Jul 24, 2015

Thank you for your suggestion Chris. My techs (nor I really) have experience with managed switches. As my project sizes grow, I certainly would like to learn as I can see the benefit of using them. It looks like a great solution, I just have a few questions as I have never used their (or managed) switch devices:

1. My techs will do the installation of all components. Is this plug and play where they can power, configure video/access control components, and then I can come in after and configure the switch, or should I learn and configure it before installation?

2. Without having managed switch experience, is this device an ok introductory product to use? Figuring it out by myself does not scare me, but want to make sure I'm not in over my head. I use their wireless devices so I understand that tech support is almost non-existent.

3. Other than Amazon or B&H, is there a reputable distributor from the Ubiquity distributor page anyone has used?

Thanks again.

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 24, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I have sourced UBNT gear from a wide variety of dealers and would only caution you to be careful about Amazon 3rd party vendors. I have received open box/used stuff when I didn't notice the item wasn't being sold by Amazon.

As far as their distributor list, I have bought from Double Radius and Streakwave and both are reputable and reliable. Streakwave is west coast based, so it took a few more days for my orders to arrive, so that's why I used Double Radius instead. They are east coast and closer to me in Ohio.

What I have found with their Edge Switches is they can't make them fast enough and are rarely in stock, which means paying over MSRP via gray market.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 24, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Have used streakwave as well.

As for pre-commissioning, I think a good idea would be to disable the POE output of the ports on the 24 unit that are not needed. At 12 W, you are good for no more than 20. So disable four just in case someone redistributes them;

They would probably work with all of them plugged in, for a while at least, so it's better they don't even power on. They offer a CLI, but also GUI administration like this:

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 24, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I was about to post what Chris just did, so thanks for saving me the time!

(1)
(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Jul 24, 2015

What is the warranty like for these UBNT switches? I only ask becuase we ran into an issue with Planet switches and the warranty proccess includes sending the switch back for repares which leaves the customer without a switch and not very happy. HP switches you get next day advanced replacement Something to consider or keep an extra UBNT switch instock incase there is an issue.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 24, 2015
IPVMU Certified

HP switches you get next day advanced replacement Something to consider or keep an extra UBNT switch instock incase there is an issue.

That's a good point, and good advice as well.

An in-vehicle spare is essential, since even with advanced replacement you're often looking at a day or two before you're back on-site, and the customer is happy again...

Jon Dillabaugh
Jul 24, 2015
Pro Focus LLC

I believe it is one year, ship it in and wait. I am really unsure because I've only had one fail ever and I had a spare on hand, so I didn't even ask if there was an express RMA option.

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 24, 2015
IPVMU Certified

Use RMA# ALEXIS for cross-ship. :)

Jeffrey Hinckley
Jul 25, 2015

Four FS728TP switches should cover that. We get them for 338 dollars per switch, which fits this budget. Connect Gigabit uplink ports together. 196 watts per switch over 24 ports. If issues, cough up the money for a 5th switch.

In the five years using these, I have never seen one fail (out of probably 100 plus deployed).

U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 25, 2015
IPVMU Certified

To meet the spec I think you would need 5, since you can only get 16 cameras per switch at 12w.

But on the upside you would get 54 non-poe ports for expansion.

U
Undisclosed #3
Jul 25, 2015

FSM7226P100NES

• Best combination of wire speed performance, security and convergence
  • Easy to set up and use with automatic VoIP and IP Cameras - including VLAN routing wizard
  • 1U Rackmount form factor
  • 24 ports 10/100 PoE (802.3af) with 384W budget
  • 2 combo Gigabit (RJ45) and Fiber (SFP) uplinks
  • High availability with Redundant Power Supply (RPS) option
  • LIFETIME WARRANTY

You can still find them under $ 400

AT
Andrew Thomas
Jul 25, 2015

I've been exposed to many switches over the last 30+ years in the IT business, and all the hubs and splitters that existed before switches. I would strongly suggest you use as few switches as possible to minimize your uplinks. Given the budget, I would be looking at the Netgear GS752TP for around $675 online... 48 POE Ports, and 4 SFP Ports..... 384 Watts... POE+ on 8 ports

and the 24Port Version GS728TP 24 Poe ports 8 POE+ on 8 ports, plus 4 SFP slots.. circa $425..

totalling 576 watts accross 72 free Ports. Use Fiber or copper SFP Modules to build a 2G LAG between the switches. If your video recorder supports bonding or teaming the NICS, use two SFP modules to feed the GS752TP and the primary switch....

Netgear includes a free SNMP / FIRMARE / BACKUP management tool, that's works fine for the basics. It's not a full management tool like ManageEngine Utils, but good enough to hint in the direction of trouble. I believe the warranty is Lifetime too....

I also think you can enable Sflow using a command line on most of Netgears L2 managed switches.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jul 25, 2015
IPVMU Certified

...totalling 576 watts accross 72 free Ports

The requirement is for 66 x 12w = 792w.

AT
Andrew Thomas
Jul 25, 2015

I blew that huh? Register the deal with Netgear as a partner, and you'll get the 48 port wholesale for less than $500 with a distributor.

AT
Andrew Thomas
Jul 25, 2015

If you are not a registered partner with a decent switch vendor - you should be. As a long time partner with both Netgear and Zyxel, each for very specific reasons determined by our role on the IT side of the client, we've registered deals asking for special pricing, and we've purchased both the GS752TP and the GS1910HP48 for just over $425 on named deals in small Quantities. Put some on the shelf, and do well on the next gig too.

RD
Roman Dabrowski
Jul 26, 2015

Ingram Micro sells Ubiquity and they have pre-sales support to help you configure. (I used to work for ingram.) Most of the switch mfg's have tech supprt to help you with set up..

RW
Richard Williams
Jul 26, 2015
IPVMU Certified

The Netgear GS728TPP has 384w available, allowing you to use all 24 ports. You would need 3.

[IPVM Note: online pricing is ~$600 each.]

VK
Vance Kozik
Jul 27, 2015

Disclosure: I work for D-Link.

The D-Link DGS-1500-28P is smart switch with 24 x 15.4W ports, 4 x SFP ports and feature Auto Surveillance VLAN (optionally auto identifies cameras and puts them on their own VLAN).

Three of these would do the job and they sell for $550 online. As mentioned in other posts being a registered partner of a manufacturer yields much better pricing.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions