Subscriber Discussion

4MP Hikvision Cameras Ghosting Trails

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Feb 12, 2017

I have done a bit of research about the ghosting trails on the HIK 4mp dome 2142 cameras which is what I have, apparently it is either a DNR issue or an Exposure issue, the exposure on these cameras is set to 1/30 by defualt, the environment is fairly well lit, however when I turn DNR down to 50 or below the night vision really suffers.  When the DNR is turned up past 50 on the HIK dome I can see ghosting trails behind cars even during the day,I have even tried turning the 4mp camera down to 2 or 3mp does not help,  should I swap these cameras out for some green line 2mp exir cameras should that solve the ghosting issues I having or is there anything else I can try to get a balanced day/night image? 

JH
John Honovich
Feb 12, 2017
IPVM

#1, high(er) DNR often causes increased ghosting / trails. For background, see: Camera DNR (Digital Noise Reduction) Guide, This example from a Samsung camera at max DNR shows the type of issue commonly seen:

And 4MP cameras are poor in low light.

I'll let others recommend on the specific models but both of what you are reporting is consistent with our testing of these issues.

(1)
(1)
UI
Feb 12, 2017

Thanks John

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 12, 2017

Sounds like more of a compression issue then anything else.  What is your bit rate set to? 

UI
Feb 12, 2017

1fps @1080p continuous 900kbps and 10fps@1080p recent 2500kbps variable bit rate max numbers which is in the guidelines of the Nvr recommendations 

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 12, 2017

Sorry I read the title too fast... I thought you were talking about the Hikvision 4K camera which I have seen some bandwidth issues. 

UI
Feb 12, 2017

Michael I am using the 4mp cameras I have them turned down to 1080p

MC
Marty Calhoun
Feb 12, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Think about swapping it out to the DarkFighter series you will get better results day and night.

UI
Feb 12, 2017

I would have to sell my house to get the dark fighter series cameras and then I would not have anywhere to mount them too!

MM
Michael Miller
Feb 12, 2017

$100 cameras only get you so much. 

(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions