Subscriber Discussion

4K On Analog HD - Game Changer?

U
Undisclosed #1
May 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

On their website, Techpoint, owner of the TVI standard says:

Techpoint brings the next generation of HD-TVI technology to you with HD-TVI 3.0!

Now HD-TVI 3.0 supports up to 8 Megapixel or 4K resolution video while maintaining reliable distance performances of over 500 Meter on a copper core 3C-2V coaxial cable. Now HD-TVI 3.0 DVRs are now even compatible with other popular HD analog standards!

Although no 4K cameras that I know of are shipping, it would appear that it won't be too long before they do.

How cheap might they be? $150? Lower?

Enough to make a diehard IP guy give it a shot?

IMHO, this is the next wave of price devastation, and has the capacity to end the 4K party before it really got going.

Now that AHD, CVI and TVI all share a common standard, prices are bound to come down even further due to lower distribution costs.

Possible downside, frame rate has not been announced for 4K, could be ultra low, ~7 FPS, based on extrapolation.

Thoughts?

JH
John Honovich
May 10, 2016
IPVM

That's a good question.

I think that's less of a game changer than having a few of the major Western/Japan brands to offer HD analog.

In other words, I think the lack of Western support / validation is a bigger barrier than not having 4K. If some of those brands adding support for just the 1080p, I could see it causing a chain reaction as others are forced to respond.

One of the reasons they have held back is the incompatibility but Techpoint is claiming to solve that, so they could embrace that.

On the other hand, lots of companies with emotional commitment to IP, price / performance / value be dammed. Not sure how much time that will take.

U
Undisclosed #1
May 10, 2016
IPVMU Certified

On the other hand, lots of companies with emotional commitment to IP, price / performance / value be dammed.

Its your fault for working so hard getting everyone on the IP bandwagon before Analog HD came along.

Now you're asking everyone to dig out those old F-connector crimpers from years ago. :)

(1)
Sean Nelson
May 11, 2016
Nelly's Security

somewhat of a game changer yes. I think getting 4K cameras down to an entry level cost will be the real game changer, and Im not talking just Analog HD

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions