Subscriber Discussion

4K At 30 FPS Isn't.... 4K At 30FPS ??? What?

TH
Truman HW
Sep 23, 2017

In my discussion of products I'm getting, I mentioned (in a thread) that I wanted units which did 4k at 30FPS. These are H.265+ cameras, which have a MAX bit rate of 10Mb... and a single (healthy) 3.5" hard drive does 150+ MB/s... 

Dahua *81230* all say they do

12MP @ 20FPS
and ...
UHD @ 30FPS

To which, this member said that it doesn't "really" do that. Wait, what? This is a finite, mathematically expressed statement. It either does or doesn't, and math is the only truthful, finite language devoid of ambiguity. 

I GET that WDR is subject to spurious claims which contain subjectivism; but a resolution is counted numerically; and the number of frames which can have different pixel content is numeric. These are finite, clear commitments. 

They're counter suggestions were H.264 Axis cameras, which I wouldn't be surprised if they were better. I'd bet everyone here knows more than I do across the board of surveillance - and would only have some trouble if I could choose very specific subjects from which to debate knowledge. 

But Dahua's statements seem like one's that lend themselves to epistemic claims. How is this errant? I DON'T, get it. What can I trust if not numbers that are expressions of unambiguous, discrete events?

And if not Dahua.... I want H.265+ (plus is showing HUGE improvements of efficiency in my testing so far), 4k (PPF... this is what's good for me), and 30 FPS is my hope. MAYBE 25 is okay... but I'd prefer 60! :) 

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

To which, this member said that it doesn't "really" do that. Wait, what? This is a finite, mathematically expressed statement. It either does or doesn't, and math is the only truthful, finite language devoid of ambiguity.

Sometimes a device technically meets the spec, but still is misleading.

For instance, a device* that claims 4k 30fps might only be able to do so with WDR off, a certain CODEC, no motion detection, no substreams and when connected to its own brand recorder.

Or it might deliver the 30 frames in a second, but those frames may come in juttery spurts, causing the video to appear choppy.

Tacit downsides like these, are what cause a person to use the word "really" to describe the situation.  

On the other hand, maybe you don't care about substreams etc, all you need is 4k 30fps, so it's important to find out the subjective motivation for the statement.

Which Dahua model exactly?

*a hypothetical device, that may or may not behave like the specific Dahua you are considering.

(1)
TH
Truman HW
Sep 24, 2017

Brilliantly stated sir. Thank you. 

IPC-HDBW81230E-Z
IPC-EBW81230

I have some gear already...

Samsung SNB-9000N
Bosch NIN-70122-F0

Hikvision 4k basic models... 

...and had someone mention Milestone ... which seems very very interesting. I have a NAS which supports iSCSI, so I might try out the free version but I think I have to ultimately get a paid version because I want more than 8 cameras. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Sep 24, 2017

You are missing some industry marketing history dating back to the first DVR's.

It was common to see a recorder listed as D1 and 30FPS and 16 camera inputs. 

All of those are true, just not st the same time.  Marketing at its finest and still out there a bit.   My experience with Dahua 4K cameras is 20FPS in 4K mode, 30FPS in lower resolutions.

You have just experienced and identified one of the founding issues IPVM brought to light when it started.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

All of those are true, just not st the same time.

The OP quotes the spec as saying "UHD @ 30FPS".  

(1)
(1)
UI
Sep 24, 2017

I searched the US site, not HK and see the 12MP at 20IPS and 4K at 30IPS.  4K is UHD so I wonder if the HK version is the same.  You don't need 12MP for UHD. 

(1)
(1)
U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

HK = Hong Kong?, Hikvision, ???

TH
Truman HW
Sep 24, 2017

The "undisclosed manufacture" above seems biased; he's literally pretending the term AT doesn't connect the two specifications to one another.

IF he has proof they're lying, PROVIDE IT. But alleging it without proof is dishonorable unless he can provide the evidence to support it. 

As you said, yeah, it's possible they think the rest of the planet's people will not care as much as one continent does - and thus, have two manufacturing processes as though THAT would be a cost savings. 

Intel's system (at least years ago) to differentiate the clock speeds was based on impedance, corresponding heats at higher speeds, which compelled them to impose a clock cycle for the CPU in question based on it's performance, in the variations of manufacturing. 

Just like the act of measuring something produces [some] "noise" in to the system. 

UI
Sep 24, 2017

Truman, first I'm not hostile to Dahua or you.  Please respond in a similar fashion. 

My reference to HK was Hong Kong as I read a few statements about your desire to buy from outside the US in your other post.

I'm also not asserting they are lying or misleading in any way.

Many cameras in the security industry offer variable frame rates based on the resolution choice or sometimes other features.

I don't know if your plan is to run the system in NTSC at 30 or PAL at 25.

What I read from the Dahua US site was shown and clearly stated that they offer 12MP/20 or 4K/30.  4K is considered UHD in this industry.  

I was clarifying you won't get a 12MP image at 30 the way this is written.

Earlier, I had stated the industry had for some time, several vague concepts including the simple difference between IPS and FPS or measuring light requirements with LUX or Lumens.

That was a problem in marketing and it was addressed by IPVM in the early years if you read back on Arecont and Avigilon.  Most manufacturers seem to be more clear now. 

Thank you.

TH
Truman HW
Sep 24, 2017

You've made a positive assertion in specific response to the product I've listed:

IPC-HDBW81230E-Z

In science, the exalted axiom is "truth".:

To make sure people can't waste your life with absurd claims, science has adopted a principle; the person MAKING the claim - assumes the burden of justifying it. You sir, have adopted the burden of proof!

I'd bet you're bereft of a scintilla of specific knowledge of this Dahua model (*81230*) or any with that root identifier in it.

Philosophy urges us all to defend against self deception; confirmation bias. Hypocrisy (you'd be pissed if someone critiqued your product and without proof... and I'd be grateful to anyone who studied my product enough to find the problems with it! This is expensive stuff to do. 

More generally, you may have a conflict of interest.

There are a few bedrock principles of epistemology and science.

1. The onus of proving a claim rests on the person making it.

2. Epistemologically, propositional knowledge should SCALE with the evidence. 

http://www1.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdbw81230e-z-6391.html

Dahua asserts directly by use of the @ symbol, that those two specifications are Dahua's direct claim of the frames per second and the resolution it'd be transmitted at. I bet they even tested this.

Yes, I'll bet that scenarios exist which pose problems for the engine, gets hot, slacks off, resumes again -- after all, H.265 is even hard for the $2500 laptop I use. BUT, these cameras have the "luxury" of specificity, instead of generalized demands for performance, which must be hard on computers.

Can you, with precision, contradict their claim?

U
Undisclosed #1
Sep 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Truman, let me make clear, if I haven't yet, that your expectation that the Dahua spec "UHD @ 30FPS", is a truth-bearer, is also one shared by myself.

However,  mfr#2 is not making a claim himself, but rather relaying a statement from Dahua, and so has no burden of proof, except that in regards to correctly echoing the statement, if so challenged.

Furthermore, even Dahua has no burden here, as they have produced the camera, which is their proof.

The true burden is borne by your forum member and his vague  "really doesn't do that" assertion.

JH
John Honovich
Sep 24, 2017
IPVM

Truman, Dahua devices right now are in the middle of a global hack attack (e.g., 1). It is just the latest in an almost never ending string of problems Dahua has.

You have already made it clear in the previous discussion that you are 100% committed to Dahua (e.g.,Looking For NVR To Record UHD Cameras And Work With A NAS) despite our concerns already expressed.

Dahua's track record shows that you are risking hitting all types of problems and headaches using them. The professionals, e.g., who buy premium priced products are not all stupid, there is a reason why people pay a premium for what you consider inferior technology and that is because those competitors have a much better track record of delivering what they claim and not subjecting their customers to future problems.

JH
Jay Hobdy
Sep 24, 2017
IPVMU Certified

I was at a board meeting last week and they asked, what brand of cameras are we selling. I told them Dahua, even spelled it out nice and slow. For the first time ever, I got feed back on the hack. They googled the camera and read about the hacks. My contact told me he talked to the person with the concern and squashed their concern. I advised him we change all the default ports, and passwords. I also offered him a VPN solution, which he denied.

The project was just approved yesterday with Dahua cameras. This is a HOA, and there is nothing critical on the network. They do not care. I think it is important to realize some customers are not concerned and that is primarily based on the client type/size.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #3
Sep 25, 2017

I have to agree with Jay, primarily because typically when I install any product it has been selected based on what I am protecting.  Would I install Dahua in a high risk, asset location?  HECK NO!  Would I install Dahua at a local HOA sure, why not? Of course, I'll take the necessary precautions (as standard procedure when using Dahua).

I'll happily install a product that I've had no issues with (for example, Dahua), in the past 3 years.  Heck, I've even got Dahua installed at home (along with Mobotix).  So yeah, why not?

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions