Subscriber Discussion

48 Port POE Switch Recommendation

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 04, 2017

This was in a discussion from a couple years ago but things change so looking to see what people are using in 48 port switches.  No POE+ necessary.  I was looking at the Ubiquiti 48 Port.  It has a lot of power and is reasonably priced.  

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 04, 2017

The UNIFI line is a nice option once you figure out how you what to manage them.  Great network visibility makes troubleshooting issues very easy. 

If you like the cloud management solutions Meraki is also releasing some low-cost switches soon too. 

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Oct 04, 2017

I have been using a lot of the Cisco Small Business line, they are stack-able and provide all of the options you might need.  Not sure how they compare price wise to the Unifi switches, but they work well. 

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Oct 04, 2017

Which one specifically?  It looks like they only have about 350 watts available.  These would be loaded up almost full 2 of them.

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 04, 2017

UNIFi switches will be cheaper and the major advantage is you don't manage the system per device.  All UNIFI devices are managed in one browser interface.

UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #3
Oct 04, 2017

I heard from an integrator that Ubiquity requires you to go to a blog for tech support?  True/false?

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Oct 04, 2017
IPVM

Ubiquiti does not have conventional phone / sales person / local system engineer tech support. They have chat, their forums, etc. This was a point of contention here - Short Seller Claims Ubiquiti Networks A "Fraud" and I saw someone on LinkedIn last week get angry about it. It's definitely different and a negative if you can't figure it out with the online resources they provide.

(2)
(1)
MM
Michael Miller
Oct 04, 2017
What is UniFi Elite?
UniFi Elite offers a suite of premium services including enterprise phone support, extended device warranties and more. Bundled with a Ubiquiti-hosted cloud controller that automatically scales to meet your needs, UniFi Elite makes it easier to manage your network than ever before.
They do have support if you pay for them to host your controller but I have been using UBNT gear for ~10 years or so and never had to call for support for anything besides an RMA. Between their very active forum and countless Youtube videos, it is easy to support. 
(1)
Chris Lanier
Oct 05, 2017

Take a look at this new offering from Trendnet:

52-Port Gigabit Web Smart PoE+ Switch

TPE-5240WS (Version v1.0R)

• 48 x Gigabit PoE+ ports
  • 4 x Shared Gigabit ports (RJ-45 or SFP)
  • 370W PoE power budget
  • Easy-to-use web-based management interface
  • Supports IPv6, LACP, VLAN, QoS, and IGMP Snooping
  • Bandwidth control per port
  • Private and Voice VLAN support
  • Smart Fan
  • 104Gbps switching capacity
  • IEEE 802.1p QoS with queue scheduling support

Check your favorite Trendnet reseller for pricing.

Sajjad Assad Khan
Oct 09, 2017

Switches recommendation/selection depends upon many factors such as Total Power of the switch, power per port of the switch, how many cameras will operate on POE and how many POE+. Also, it's not always required to use Gigabit switches. We have to carefully calculate the bandwidth of cameras and for uplink, we can use 1G SFP. I used the variety of switches including Allied Telesis, HP and Cisco depend on practicality and budget. 

(1)
CC
Claudio Caramuto
Oct 09, 2017

In a professional environment, I would use Comnet. You got covered every type of application (PoE, non PoE, SFP, fast ethernet, gigabit, Spanning tree protocol,  extended temperature, comercial or industrial, etc), they are made in the USA and pretty reliable. 

Hope this helps.

(1)
DR
Dennis Ruban
Oct 10, 2017

I use Ubiquiti a lot. They have US- and ES- switches, the first one is managed by the unifi software controller (it's very convenient when you have an enterprise network) and the second one is web-managed switch. Same features mostly but just a different way of configuring the device and managing your network.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #4
Oct 10, 2017

Like some of the others we have used many of the manufacturers listed above, excluding Ubiquiti.   The main thing is to check the overall throughput and POE budgets you need for the application. 

For non stackable, basic web managed "Smart" switch we have used these with little to no issues:

Netgear GS752TP

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart/GS752TP.aspx#tab-techspecs

Another inexpensive alternative would be the Trendnet TPE-4840WS

http://www.trendnet.com/products/48-port-poe-plus-websmart-switch/TPE-4840WS

BE
Brian Elias
Oct 10, 2017

+1 for Ubiquiti switches.  I used to use the ES series all the time, but the convenience of the US (UniFi) line won me over.  The US line does need a CloudKey (or their UniFi subscription based services) in order to manage it, but the features are worth it.  They've nailed the GUI and VLAN implementation.

MM
Michael Miller
Oct 10, 2017

You can also host your own UNIFI software.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #5
Oct 12, 2017

Any unified users using Ubiquiti product?  Thoughts on Cisco 3850? Assuming price, fees are the downer for Cisco product. 

DR
Dennis Ruban
Oct 12, 2017

we're discussing Hyundai and you're asking about Maserati :)

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions