Subscriber Discussion

2 Simultaneous SD Card Failures In 2 Separate Cameras? Any Ideas?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Sep 01, 2016

Client was checking video today and pulled the SD cards from two different Axis cameras and found both SD cards asked to be formatted before use.  They weren't just blank - it was like they had just come out of the package.

I checked the cards when they were installed and video had recorded.  The client maintains he's checked the cards in the past and they had video clips on them so its not like we put in unformated cards.  Both cards were new two months ago (SanDisk Ultra 64 GB).  The cameras were on a local dedicated network.  There was a power outage 3 weeks back but no one in the building complained about any computer or electronic issues (other than resetting their deck clocks and micowaves).  

Any ideas?

Marc Pichaud
Sep 03, 2016

Hi

power outage during a recording on a SD might create a problem on Axis (and some other brands) without UPS protection. It should be fixed on last firmwares, so you should update your cameras.

(1)
Ross Vander Klok
Sep 06, 2016
IPVMU Certified

We have around 40 AXIS cameras recording on SD cards and do a weekly audit to be sure they are still recording as they should and VERY rarely do we have any issues. All of ours are on UPS and/or generated power so we don't have the power outage issues any longer but when we did have outages we ran into this same issue.

I don't recall which models had the problem because it was not an across the board issue. Only on a couple models. I also don't recall if a firmware upgrade fixed the issue either because we very quickly got the cameras on back up power. So an upgrade very well could have fixed the issue.

Marc Pichaud
Sep 06, 2016

Let's add that Sony has just released a new long life SD card ,dedicated to CCTV Edge operations

Class 10, 95 MB/s, - 25° / 85°C - MLC NAD Flash Memory - It's supposed to last during 5 years cycles, and gives maintenance notification to the camera , if it has been integrated by the vendor: SR-32UXAR (also in 64GB) . I have received some samples, and have tested it but obviously not during 5 years...

(1)
Ari Erenthal
Sep 06, 2016
Chesapeake & Midlantic

How does this compare to the SanDisk High Endurance?

Marc Pichaud
Sep 06, 2016

Oups, the key point seems to be: MLC NAND flash instead of TLC NAND flash memory (I found it in the Sony video they sent to me)

Shall behave like bad sector on a hard disk: no worry, I exhange it with some good sectors in reserve...:-)

Strong fault tolerancy like we have in datacenter hard disks, compared to CCTV standard Pro eg purple WD hard disks, good but not designed for heavy vibrations.

Marc Pichaud
Sep 06, 2016

Snapshot from Sony video. Keep in mind it's not God's words..

(1)
(1)
(2)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions