Subscriber Discussion

(2) 24 Port VS (1) 48 Port POE Switch?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Aug 15, 2016

Is there any preference of using (2) 24 Port or a single 48?  If so any suggestions on a 48 you have used?

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #2
Aug 15, 2016

There is a lot to consider here and much of it depends on the install, for example, two 24 ports might just make sense so you do not have as many long home runs back to a central point. Also two switches may give some redundancy. If one switch fails you would still have some cameras working all be it maybe not the ones you would need but this can be overcome by staggering the cameras. This obviously probably does not make the cable runs shorter but in a situation where you have say two cameras covering an area and each on it's own switch at least you would likely have one camera working.

Also I just prefer (2) 24 Ports if you have rack space as 48 cameras drawing power on one switch is an awfully lot of power and makes me uncomfortable (good, bad, right or wrong it's just my gut feeling unfortunately I do not have that many jobs needing that many ports so not a lot of history to go on).

For data only 48 port switches are fine (although I highly recommend some redundancy as even if they are low priority, 48 people all staring at you is never a good thing).

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 15, 2016

Undisclosed 2 When you use 2 24 port switches do you use a patch cable to connect them and then use one patch cable to connect to the server or do you connect each switch to the server via multiple NICs?

HP 2920 series has been our goto switch line. 48Port switch with hot swappable power supply and up to 740 W and POE+

U
Undisclosed #3
Aug 15, 2016
IPVMU Certified

Running two non-blocking, full POE power switches into two server NIC's but leaving 50% of the ports unused, gives you a way to deal with either a bad NIC or bad switch or both.

MM
Michael Miller
Aug 15, 2016

Also the HP switches have stacking ports so you can link switches in the rack via a redundant stacking cables. You can also add redundant power supplies.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions