Subscriber Discussion

18-24 Hours Of Battery Backup

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Jun 01, 2017

What are my options for powering a camera system with an NVR pulling 30 watts and 3.8 peak watts from 13 cameras. 

Just to keep things rounded I have been going with 75 or 100 watts of draw. 

Seems like something like this could cost 1000's? 

Originally they were requesting 2 full days of backup.

The customer who is inquiring "says" that at their other house, 2000 miles from me, that company has an "intricate" system with what appears to be two car batteries. Any ideas?

Brian Karas
Jun 01, 2017
IPVM

Let's use 84 Watts as an average number. That's 7 Amps @ 12V

You want to run this system for 24 hours.  You need 7Ah * 24, or 168Ah of battery capacity.  In reality, you would probably need a lot more to have a solid 12V the entire time, maybe 200Ah to be safe.

A deep cycle 12V battery is usually rated around 70-80 Ah, which would mean you'd need a minimum of 3 batteries for this requirement, probably 4 to have a better margin of error.

Is there a sufficient source of power to charge the batteries when they get drained?

For more info on wiring up these kinds of systems look into marine and RV "house battery" bank setups.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jun 01, 2017

I was just looking at doing something like that with a Mean Well DRC-100A. I am going to run 12vdc to power the cameras and use edge storage though. Your NVR, I assume, will need 120vac and there will be efficiency losses inverting 12vdc back to 120vac. 

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions