"Why I Choose To Be Paid Strictly On Commission"

JH
John Honovich
Dec 27, 2017
IPVM

From John Bazyk:

People ask me all the time why I choose to be paid strictly on commission vs. an hourly wage or salary. My response is always the same. Hourly wages and salaries scare me. In my mind, there’s too much risk. I started working when I was 12 years old stocking a vending machine; I earned a commission. When I was 16 I got a job at Dunkin’ Donuts and earned an hourly wage plus tips; I made more in tips than in my paycheck every week. At the same time, I was working at Chili’s as a busboy with the same result as at Dunkin. From these jobs and experiences, I learned that providing the best customer service I could, paid off. From a young age, I learned that I loved being in charge of my paycheck, I've never had to ask for a raise. I just sell more when I need more. When I was 18 I got a job at American Eagle, they offered me $5.15/hour. At the time gas was over $4/gallon and I drove a Jeep with a V8, it would have cost me more every week to fill my tank than I earned in my paycheck. I walked out of American Eagle and got my first sales job; they paid me $10/hour plus commission. That’s what did me in. As an 18-year-old freshman in college, I could make $20/hour or more if I put my mind to it! What am I getting at? When you’re ready to take charge of your paycheck message me.

It's definitely an interesting take, though my experience is that most salespeople take and demand base + commission. What do you think?

(1)
(3)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #1
Dec 27, 2017

What would be a reasonable commission percentage in the real world life of an experienced security/integrator salesperson?   How does this affect selling expenses like auto, mileage, entertainment, etc?  Also, is it always assumed that health insurance coverage is included up front no matter what?

So, in a real example .. say the integrator salesperson brings in 1 million in work at 30% gross margin (300K profit inclusive of all materials and labor; exclusive of the salesperson's commission and net profit for the company) ... what would the salesperson earn in commissions?

How about $2 million?

(1)
John Bazyk
Dec 27, 2017
Command Corporation • IPVMU Certified

I sort of answered this below. Need to get back to work so I will respond to this later. 

UI
Dec 28, 2017

Hello All ... I asked this question early on in this thread as a serious inquiry, i.e. if a salesperson were on a 100% commission program, how much should/would they make if they generated $1 million in sales at a theoretical 30% gross margin?  I wasn't trying to be funny, although someone voted on my post as such!

I guess what I am trying to get to from input from all those experienced from a managerial/owner point of view, as well as from folks in integrator sales, is how much they would/should expect to be paid in a 100% commission program and what fringe benefits/expense reimbursements would be included along with the commission?

So, of the $300K in theoretical gross profits in the example above, how much of that would be slotted to go towards the salesperson's commission+ selling expenses and how much would be kept in the company?

(1)
John Bazyk
Dec 27, 2017

This post is apart of a short book I am writing on why young people should pursue a career in professional sales. I will be interested to see what people have to say on IPVM. Commission only is not for everyone. It's only for a particular kind of personality.

(4)
Ari Erenthal
Dec 27, 2017
Chesapeake & Midlantic

Please put me down for two copies of your book, one to read and another to give away. 

(2)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Dec 27, 2017

I find this kind of pitch to 'take charge of your paycheck' to be slightly disingenuous - at least starting out in the physical security industry.  It mirrors what is commonly heard at Amway conventions.  The motivation=$$ method.

Going from a guaranteed $10/hr - and earning $20/hr after commissions are applied sounds great, and is great from the perspective of an 18 yr old.

The sought after employee for these types of firms throws as much crap at the walls as they can (the more calls made, the higher number [if not %] of closes). 18 yr olds and other 'non-provider' types are heavily represented in the mix of these companies employees because they can make at least twice what they can make at any other non-skilled position... like convenience store and fast food work, stocking shelves at K-Mart, etc.  Glib conversationalists prosper... they are not attempting to build relationships.

Straight commission jobs (from the beginning of the job) are generally relegated to the fringes of selling.  i.e. vinyl siding, replacement windows, home waterproofing, cleaning products, etc.

B2C, not B2B.  The B2B sales process requires more than what is required of B2C.

To earn a living (providing for family, etc) hardly anyone could afford to take a straight commission job in physical security because it takes years sometimes to build the necessary relationships with which to survive upon a percentage of your individual sales.

This is why I think that most sales compensation packages in our industry include a mix of base + commission.  To incentivize continued success, I think the base should shrink over time to - at some point - go to straight commission.

John Bazyk
Dec 27, 2017

The pitch may appear to be disingenuous, but I can assure you I am not, nor is the pitch. When the book is out, take a read, and you'll find that this is far from what's talked about at Amway. That being said, my Grandparents have been selling Amway since my father was in college and have made a healthy living off having a full retail store in their house. There's a right way and a wrong way to do just about everything.

The sought after employee for these types of firms throws as much crap at the walls as they can (the more calls made, the higher number [if not %] of closes). 18 yr olds and other 'non-provider' types are heavily represented in the mix of these companies employees because they can make at least twice what they can make at any other non-skilled position... like convenience store and fast food work, stocking shelves at K-Mart, etc. Glib conversationalists prosper... they are not attempting to build relationships.

I think you may have missed this comment in the OP. "From these jobs and experiences, I learned that providing the best customer service I could, paid off." Throwing crap on the wall is no longer the norm for call centers or entry level sales jobs. The best call centers are teaching their salespeople how to build relationships in less than 10 minutes with consumers and working with businesses over many months. This skill is invaluable and if applied properly with the guidance of a good mentor can help anyone entering professional sales later on in life. Most of my experience in call centers was B2B sales, more and more companies are using call centers to sell to other businesses. 

B2C, not B2B. The B2B sales process requires more than what is required of B2C.

I agree but disagree, while the sales cycle may be longer with B2B, B2C requires much more on the other side of the sale to keep them long term especially in the security industry. You can't sell a security system to a homeowner and totally walk away. Which is why we have incentives to keep our reps talking to their clients longer. 

To earn a living (providing for family, etc) hardly anyone could afford to take a straight commission job in physical security because it takes years sometimes to build the necessary relationships with which to survive upon a percentage of your individual sales.

You're correct, that's why a hybrid approach to sales is important. If I only relied on my commercial clients to buy enough from me to support my family, I would have given up years ago. It took me 2 years to build a strong commercial customer base and 5 years to really get it moving, my sales cycle is 6 months to a year. When I'm not selling $20k to $100k systems, I'm selling monitoring contracts to homeowners as a time filler and income supplement. This is both good for the company and me. 

A salesperson working for us can earn over $60,000/year if they sell just 3 home security systems each week. If they stay with us for more than four years they can start making commission on the RMR, in year four they'll start earning an additional $8,000/year just in RMR commission, year 5 $16,000/year, year 6 $24,000/year and so assuming they continue to sell a minimum of 3 systems each week. Add in a few large commercial projects each year, and they're going to be earning $100K/yea in no time. These numbers are obviously only based on three systems a month. Good residential sales guys are doing 3-4 a day. Now keep in mind, residential sales are mostly stagnant from November to March, this is where cultivating your commercial prospects really comes into play.

Salespeople with families to support are often not interested in working straight commission. However, if they are, they're worth their weight in gold.

I'm not interested in attracting most of the salespeople out there. I'm also not interested in crap slingers. Most of the people who will reach out to me from this post are crap slingers, but they won't get the job. In that big mix of used car salespeople there's one or two golden gooses. That's who I'm looking for. This post and posts like this have brought me some incredible salespeople over the years. I think I tell a good story here, not only is it personal but it's true and I support a wife who stays at home with our two kids on my income comfortably. 

(1)
(3)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

When I was 18 I got a job at American Eagle, they offered me $5.15/hour. At the time gas was over $4/gallon...

John, are you sure about that simultaneity?

John Bazyk
Dec 27, 2017

Minimum wage in Utah at the time was $5.15/hour. Fuel prices combine with fuel tax in Salt Lake City was at times over $4/gallon. Most of that year it was lower but not at the time I was looking for my first job in college. Had a girlfriend who’s parents lived 200 miles south and she wanted me to drive her home once a month since she didn’t have a car. My main motivator at the time was being able to comfortably afford that drive along with all of my other expenses.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 27, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Hi-test I assume ;)

(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #4
Dec 27, 2017

I resisted taking a commission job for the longest time, preferring the safety of a salary. I recently got a commission based job and I am loving it. The idea of getting paid more for working harder is appealing to me, not because I love money but because it's solid proof that I'm doing a good job. 

However, I got a bunch of kids at home. I need to know that some money is coming in while my deals are cooking. So I need a base salary that will cover my grocery bills at least. 

If I was single, though, straight commission probably wouldn't seem so scary.

(1)
John Bazyk
Dec 27, 2017

If you’re only selling B2B I advocate for a draw against commission. Not to be confused with a basepay. This helps you get kick started each year. Once the ball is rolling and you have a substantial client list it’s easier to work off it.

That being said I don’t recommend exclusively selling B2B. 

(1)
JB
Jeremy Binder
Dec 27, 2017
Thiel Strategic Communications

What is a "sales" position/role in the industry?

Some refer to hunter/farmers.

I've heard some say, "Just sell some $h!t."

Many are consumed with numbers and quotas.

What I find very shortsighted, is the Sales/General Manager, President and CEO who is not aware of what truly motivates their sales people.

That being noted, there are very few who could be successful personally, for their company, as well as for their customer, without having their "self-enlightened interests" (motivations) met.

Clearly the author has some motivations that are being met in what he states.

And there is nothing wrong with that. 

I would just like to know, John Bazyk, what your "self enlightened interests" are.

John Bazyk
Dec 27, 2017

Money isn’t a real motivator for me. What drives me is seeing customers happy with their purchase and freely willing to pay for it. It’s been almost ten years since I left the “pushy” salesman mentality behind me. Often my satisfaction comes from the receptionist who’s managing the access control system who thanks me for selling her company a useable product. Her feedback to the people who write the checks makes all the difference. I love working with people. I work with a lot of people in several different industries. Collaboration is something I love to do. I’ve helped companies sell thousands of units without asking for a penny in return. It’s the experience or the process that I love. 

(2)
(1)
UM
Undisclosed Manufacturer #7
Dec 28, 2017

I think that is a common thing if you read books on super successful people like Sam Walton and others. I'm sure they'd care if they were too poor to get a decent car of house, but supposedly when they focused more on the thrill of the deal, they made more and were better at it.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 27, 2017
IPVM

A couple of considerations on commission vs base:

• I've seen salespeople paid commission only view themselves as not part of the 'team' / 'company'. That they are effectively independent agents since they only get paid on what they close. That can be bad for morale but surely depends on the person and situation.
  • Some companies want their salespeople to work on things that help the company but that they won't get paid on (help training others, giving feedback on product issues, supporting other projects or going to trade shows, etc.). When a salesperson is paid commission only, it is problematic to ask / require them to do those things.
  • The fewer the number of sales per year, the more lumpy commission payout becomes. I know you don't recommend exclusively selling B2B but some companies by nature of the product or offering are going to be B2B only. And some of them are going after multi-million dollar accounts that can take many months or even a few years to close. In those cases, a base generally helps keep the salesperson engaged and cash flow positive in between the big commission checks.
(3)
(1)
John Bazyk
Dec 28, 2017

John

1. That can be a major problem. When I was talking to a prospective salesperson the other day I told them there was nothing more important than strong communication between customer service, accounting, installation, sales and the customer. Everyone needs to work as a team. I’m a believer in including the customer on that team. This is one of the biggest challenges in my opinion. 

2. This is also true. For me this isn’t a problem because I have a vested interest in the company succeeding. I wouldn’t however expect a commission salesperson to do those things unless they were being paid to do it. This is what quarterly bonuses are for. 

3. Again I agree. Every company is different. What you described isn’t our business model. I understand there are many companies out there that focus on more significant accounts only and I respect that. My theory more applies to smaller more agile organizations companies smaller than the big guys and bigger than the little guys. Working for companies like you describe isn’t for me personally.

(1)
(1)
UM
Dec 28, 2017

I've seen salespeople paid commission only view themselves as not part of the 'team' / 'company'. That they are effectively independent agents since they only get paid on what they close.

Strongly agree with this and was one of the first things I thought of when I read the post. I've seen it before. I'd be interested in John Bazyk's book and I think it will be a good one, and I agree with much of what he has to say so far on this. But there should definitely be a chapter at least that addresses situations where a sales person is not someone who is just there to close deals, but also expected to manage the account and be the liaison between the company and client when there are changes or problems. So what would be an appropriate motivator for a sales person to perform those roles.

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Dec 28, 2017

You see that with customers previously sold by someone no longer at the company and they want a small addition, but with all thy attention they were promised and provided by the original sales guy.  

Now it’s a 3 HR drive each way to add a couple of cameras and have a meeting shortly thereafter....orphans we call them. 

(1)
UM
Dec 28, 2017

Exactly! And where a lot of dealers go wrong, too, in retaining clients. And the industry wonders why customers look into DIY when dealers set themselves up for failure this way.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 27, 2017
IPVM

Btw, somewhat related, at IPVM, we don't do any commissions nor incentive plans. None of us do sales but performance still matters (i.e., how good our reporting / publishing is). However, my concern is that giving specific incentives on page views or comments or shares, etc. could warp people's motivations (e.g., sacrifice on quality or in-depth research in favor of topics that get more 'hits').

(4)
(3)
Sean Nelson
Dec 27, 2017
Nelly's Security

Guys with attitudes like Mr. Bazyk are what sales managers love to have. Alot of salespeople get short sighted and dont understand that sometimes making money in sales takes a while. Its just like opening a business and building a business. It can be scarce at first but dont freak out, as long as you trust in yourself and educate yourself to get better, you will make money. 

Commissioned sales fits a certain personality type. its much more risky, but of course with risk comes reward.

Hourly/Salary is much more stable and fits even more personality types. I have experience with guys who perform like rock stars on hourly pay and when given the chance to switch their pay to have a chance to make more money on commission, they just dont perform as well. They feel pressured or something and just don't perform as well.

It took me a few year to understand this but we are all wired differently. I used to think people are crazy for not wanting to take advantage of a high paying commission plan with a little risk. Turns out I was crazy for thinking like this because i failed to understand my brain doesn't work like another guys brain. As an employer, one of the greatest challenges is trying to find how and where people will fit and excel and what motivates them. Im still learning.

(2)
(4)
(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 28, 2017
IPVM

Sean, good insights!

Turns out I was crazy for thinking like this because i failed to understand my brain doesn't work like another guys brain. 

Remember our debates earlier this year about IPVM's coverage of Hikvison's? :) That's your answer. Your brain doesn't work like mine.

And, as you mention, people are motivated differently. People who are not motivated by directly making money, like me, should probably not be in sales, and certainly not in a role that is 100% commission based.

(1)
Sean Nelson
Dec 28, 2017
Nelly's Security

People who are not motivated by directly making money, like me, should probably not be in sales

I assume you assigned that role to Brian and his mad marketing skills to bring in new subscribers (example: the revolutionary hacking map)

im just trolling now :)

(2)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 28, 2017
IPVM

im just trolling now :)

You've been doing that for a while! (joking - sort of :)

As for the map, the goal of that was having an impact on the industry and to open people's eyes. There are a lot more cost-effective, profitable ways to get new subscribers than to develop and release a map. I know you won't believe me so I'll simply conclude by quoting you:

Turns out I was crazy for thinking like this because i failed to understand my brain doesn't work like another guys brain.

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

People who are not motivated by directly making money, like me, should probably not be in sales, and certainly not in a role that is 100% commission based.

And yet as a proprietor of a business, that’s what you essentially are, no?  

You can pay yourself a steady salary for sure, but at the end of the day, your compensation is limited firstly by your sales, then by expenses.

So, you are working for 100% of everything that’s left after everything and everyone else is paid.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 28, 2017
IPVM

So, you are working for 100% of everything that’s left after everything and everyone else is paid.

You are conflating the fact that a business owner accrues the profits of a business with a business owner focusing on maximizing the profits of a business. One can own a business without seeking to maximize profits.

I think the quality of what we offer and quality of life both for myself and the people who work at IPVM is more important than maximizing profits.

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

One can own a business without seeking to maximize profits.

When I said “you are working for”, I meant only in the sense of “you get”.  Wasn’t meant to imply anything about your motivation.

I think the quality of what we offer and quality of life both for myself and the people who work at IPVM is more important than maximizing profits.

Understood.  Though I imagine one must still have some respect for profits, if for no reason other than to insure the continued viability of your enterprise.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 28, 2017
IPVM

I imagine one must still have some respect for profits, if for no reason other than to insure the continued viability of your enterprise.

For sure. The difference is whether the goal is to maximize profits or to ensure profits to achieve further goals. The famous Peter Drucker quote comes to mind:

Profit for a company is like oxygen for a person. If you don't have enough of it, you're out of the game. But if you think your life is about breathing, you're really missing something.

Tying this back to John B's quote, that might be my biggest concern about commission only compensation - the risk that people are so focused on closing transactional sales that they miss pursuing and ensuring greater goals that cannot be easily measured short term. While I believe John B can balance this, a lot of companies that have commission based compensation tend towards get rich quick, scam customers type businesses.

(2)
CR
Chad Rohde
Dec 28, 2017

I think the quality of what we offer and quality of life both for myself and the people who work at IPVM is more important than maximizing profits.

Spoken like a true salesman. :) Call it what you want, but unless you have other sources of income and don't get a paycheck from IPVM then I agree with #3. You may not consider yourself a good salesperson but in reality that is part of your success as one. Instead you let the product sell itself with the help of your quality employees. I mentioned to you the other day I'm not a salesperson either, but people tell me I am good at sales. 

So the comments about enjoying what you do and the value it brings to your customers is what makes the most successful sales people is probably true.

But at the end of the day, it's the money. Not counting the Bill Gates type folks who don't need to worry about bills.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Dec 28, 2017
IPVM

But at the end of the day, it's the money.

It is not. If it was about the money we would:

• Run advertisements
  • Sell our email list
  • Get commissions for products sold based on our recommendations
  • Do consulting for manufacturers
  • License our reports to manufacturers
  • License our software to manufacturers
  • etc., etc.

We don't do any of that. But we'd surely make far more money if we did.

Chad, you just emailed me the other day to ask about such things and I flat turned you down. So you know personally that we put our principles above 'the money'.

CR
Chad Rohde
Dec 28, 2017

To be clear, those such things I emailed about would fall under your etc., etc bullet. Not any of the other specific examples you listed.

And I think you are sincere with putting your principles above the money. But that doesn't mean you can't use that to your advantage as a salesperson. It's basically your main sales pitch.

We are a paid member's only service, independent and dedicated to objective information, we do not accept advertising, sponsorship nor consulting projects from manufacturers.

If you didn't charge for memberships, and just fished off the beach in Hawaii to live while running IPVM, then I would say it's not about the money. 

And again, I think you put your principles above the money.

CR
Chad Rohde
Dec 28, 2017

We don't do any of that. But we'd surely make far more money if we did.

I will disagree with you on this. Not because I know for a fact, but simply because nobody really knows unless you do go down that road. Then we can see which sales tactic is more successful.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 28, 2017
IPVM

nobody really knows

Well, you know since you offered just such a deal to me last week, your words: "50/50 and you could be silent partner?" Again, I turned it down immediately as I do all such offers.

Moreover, the things I am describing above are standard publication sales tactics that 99% of publications do and make plenty of money from.

I apologize to John B for getting this so off topic.

U
Undisclosed #5
Dec 28, 2017

Nothing movitates you more to get out of bed in the morning with the mindset of "you eat what you kill"...  It all depends on one's situation in life and the product/service you are selling as to whether she/he can take the risk/reward of working for straight commission only.

After years of believing a base is necessary, I have come to realize that straight commission is the greatest motivator and a salary is a safety net.

Sales people are not stupid and you'll know pretty quick if you will prosper from a plan like straight commission or not... generally speaking, the more complex/bigger the sale the longer it takes... what is critical is to fill the gaps with run rate business inbetween.

Sales is analogous to "whale hunting"... it was a very dangerous/risky profession, not for everyone... you could go out sea for a year and come back empty-handed-  it could change your life or you could lose your life. "Call me Ishmael."

(1)
(2)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #6
Dec 28, 2017

Sales and fishing are similar.  You go out to sell and fish but only get rewarded when you catch something. 

I say that because there are many types of sales and sales people, just as there are many types of fishing and fishermen (not excluding women in either case)

We categorize as Door to Door, B2B, B2C, MLM and more.  You can also separate by the sales cycle or time from inception to close.   Think encyclopedia salesman versus earth moving equipment.

Move through life cycle of the person. Your needs are typically different as a single person out of college or a provider with triplets at home.

I prefer B2B and support with B2C in my role. I prefer a sales cycle of 1 to 6 weeks with both hunting and farming.  I won’t consider a position without a base, but when negotiating I care more about OTE than base.

But that’s me and I fish from a small boat in a lake. 

(1)
(1)
(1)
Brian Karas
Dec 28, 2017
IPVM

There are many schools of thought on how to go about finding/attracting, and compensating, sales people.

The method that seems to be most prevalent for B2C outside sales is that you establish a base compensation that allows the sales person to not have to worry about their monthly basic necessities, or at least gives them enough to provide an acceptable, if not ideal, living condition. This would mean a base salary that can cover an average middle class mortgage, car payment, and groceries for a family of 3 or 4.  The logic being that you want the sales person to not have to worry about providing a roof and food for their family, so they can focus on the job of selling. The "extras" in life come from commissions, private schools, high-end car, family vacation, etc.

The other side of the base+commission approach is that in recruiting you look for sales people that are a little "hungry" and have some minor vices like golf/country club memberships, cigar aficionado, wine/beer enthusiast, etc. Someone who wants to live a very simple, basic life will often be seen as "risky", because they can live comfortably on a minimum base and will have less incentive to really over produce.

Also, in this model the sales person often has some constraints on their earning potential in the sense of a defined territory, or in the case of security manufacturers selling through integrators, which removes the ability to entirely control the deal. Overall, if you are a good sales manager, you can setup packages where the sales person can provide the basics for their family, has a quota/commission that enables and encourages them to live at a higher level if they work for it. Your team will likely on average come out to earning about 90% of the total OTE (on-target earnings) budget, as some will hit over 100% of quota, and some will fall a bit short.

The commission-only model is more commonly found in lower-end positions, but where the earning potential is effectively uncapped, and is a target-rich environment where you expect the person can hit a good number roughly equivalent to what would be the base salary in the first example with minimal effort. Sales focused on residential customers are a good example of this, as there are usually more houses than the sales person can reasonably hit, and they are selling a product that theoretically at least a large number of customers would/could buy.

In my experience across a handful of industries, you will often fail to attract the truly best sales people in a commission-only role, unless there are minimal other options, or the product is one in super high demand (basically guaranteed to sell). Top-level sales people understand the value of their product, and also of themselves, and are less likely to take higher-risk commission-only roles unless it is a very lucrative option.

(1)
CR
Chad Rohde
Dec 28, 2017

With all these sales experts participating and viewing this discussion, maybe someone could tell me the best way to find one interested in helping a new distributor get up and running and building a new client list?

John, sorry in advance if this is not a relative post for this discussion.

(1)
John Bazyk
Dec 28, 2017

I think this is a great question and relevant to the discussion. Answers can apply to almost any company getting started. 

CR
Chad Rohde
Dec 28, 2017

The reason I asked is I didn't think a commission only employee existed anymore. I see employers advertising the position though. We are a small business so it would be easier on our books to go this route, but don't see much chance in finding an experienced person that you can trust that doesn't want a salary + benefits. The first question is always "What kind of health benefits do you offer?"

But if they are out there, I would be interested in knowing what the going rate for this industry would be. Commission only.

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 28, 2017
IPVMU Certified

What does the customer prefer, dealing with the guy who doesn’t eat if he doesn’t sell or the guy not so ‘hungry’?

Several years ago I was buying a good deal of musical equipment for a studio.  Outside of the catalog stores, there were two walk-in stores nearby, Sam Ash and Guitar Center.  

GC was known to have a high-pressure, highly commissioned sales force. Turnover was constant. SA, on the other hand was more of the high hourly wage philosophy, with little added commission.

SA was the more pleasant experience naturally, but I remember once waiting in line behind some guy for 20 minutes who had the (hourly) salesperson happily scurrying to find some old manual from a discontinued item he claimed to have owned. After thinking, “I’m here waiting in line, while holding $5000 of stuff, and this guy’s on the phone a half an hour with corporate tech support for a product sold years ago?” What kind of business does that?

So I got out of line and went to GC instead and once I was spotted eyeballing the high-end stuff, I was approached by an eager, if obsequious, associate.  I was out of there in no time, and thinking that’s the way to run a business.

But, as luck would have it, one of my purchases was open box and missing a manual.  When I went back to GC to get it, I looked for Mr. Helpful, but was told he had moved on.  When I asked someone else there for help getting it, he said “I’m sure it’s not in the back room, call the manufacturer.”

Which I didn’t do.  I just picked one up at Sam Ash, no questions asked;)

(1)
(2)
UM
Dec 29, 2017

I think that's a great story for the book!

UI
Undisclosed Integrator #8
Dec 31, 2017

I think you are like a needle in a haystack. I have never seen a salesperson want to work on straight commission especially with long sales cycles.

I used to be in a different industry, and never had luck with salespeople.

I worked for another security company before starting my own company. The owner hired one guy at $1000 a week, plus commission. He then started handing him house accounts. After I left, he hired a 2nd guy so now he had two sales people. Both salespeople left, and the company has serious financial issues. The salespeople never sold anything.

Thats my fear, hire a salesperson, give them a base, draw etc and 6months later find out the only thing they sold, was their skill set when interviewing...

I am interested to know how a sales guy can sell 3 systems a week, and make 60k. that is around $400 per system.

JH
John Honovich
Dec 31, 2017
IPVM

I am interested to know how a sales guy can sell 3 systems a week, and make 60k. that is around $400 per system.

I'll let John B and others comment specifically about that.

However, quite related, is that online affiliate programs that merely send leads to alarm companies pay up to $300 per lead converted. If an alarm company can pay $300 per system for a website electronically forwarding leads, I can see it's possible to pay $400 for a person who closes the entire sale at someone's house.

John Bazyk
Dec 31, 2017

Most of the “dealer” programs out there are no good in my opinion, ADT and Moni are awful. 

Best way to be able to pay $400-$600 commission on residential sales is to use a funding company like Time Payments. They’ll pay you about 40 months on a 48 month contract and pay the monitoring for you. At the end of the 48 months you go out and get the contract back and bring the RMR in house. This isn’t an ideal situation but it’s a great way to get a residential program started and have the capital to pay strong commissions it’s the only way to keep good people around long term. Give them bonuses based on getting the contract back at the end of the term and other things to keep the customer sticky. Obviously I’m not going to delvuldge our whole program here but that should get you started. 

Brian Karas
Dec 31, 2017
IPVM

Thats my fear, hire a salesperson, give them a base, draw etc and 6months later find out the only thing they sold, was their skill set when interviewing...

Anyone who hires sales people and lets them go 6 months without selling anything, or understanding what is holding up sales by doing pipeline reviews, customer visits, etc. probably should not be managing a sales team.

A draw should really only be considered when you have a very long sales cycle (6 months+). For shorter sales cycles commission draws are less common (see my previous comment about setting base salary appropriately to cover necessities).

U
Undisclosed #3
Dec 31, 2017
IPVMU Certified

Anyone who hires sales people and lets them go 6 months without selling anything, or understanding what is holding up sales by doing pipeline reviews, customer visits, etc. probably should not be managing a sales team.

Sometimes they seem ok, right up until the close, however long that takes...

(1)
U
Undisclosed #3
Jan 01, 2018
IPVMU Certified

To clarify: I have hired more than a couple salespeople (selling software services) who, to me at least, appeared competent months into the job.  

They showed up on time, worked late, were organized, spent time to learn the company, didn’t drop the ball and presented themselves reasonably well.

And yet, time after time, deals would stall, and eventually die an excruciating drawn out death.  Customer feedback would typically be positive about the rep. themselves, though.

With a > 3 months sales cycle, how many chances do you give them?

Maybe they would have been good or maybe I missed signs that indicated they would never make a substantial sale.  Still wonder about that, was it just bad luck or bad fit or bad management, or were they just bad?

JM
Justin Mamulis
Jan 03, 2018
Langa Security Services

I have been in professional sales for 20+ years now, and in my experience the basic or retainer the company offers, acts as a safety net.  Why a safety net?  Sales are sales - I go out everyday, get involved, design, produce and deliver - the proposal - and then close the deal.  After that, the project goes onto various other departments - project management, procurement, wiring teams and finally install and commissioning teams.  Timelines, missed deadlines, late payments from the client, late deliveries from the suppliers, bad weather, etc, etc, etc...  are all out of my control, and a deal is only a deal when the final bill is paid. 

Only then, do I get paid my commission.

So, yes - I absolutely ask for a basic + commission, with all expenses covered by the company, i.e. the sales tools required for the job.

I do opt for a low basic and high commission structure, as opposed to a high basic and a low commission structure though.

Well, that is my 2c worth - hope it makes sense.

(2)
(3)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 03, 2018
IPVM

Justin, excellent first comment, good explanation of the issues involved!

Tim Pickles
Jan 03, 2018
Direct Security

I'm sorry and I have no intention to offend - but this really does come across as an advertorial. 

I've worked both sides of the pond and the US experience was very heavily led by commission and offset with small salary.

The UK is a mix, but generally salary led and commission topped up. But the ratio varies quite widely.

Commission is fine - but how it is calculated is perhaps the biggest single reasons for sales resignations in the security sector. Anyone can sell a $10 bill for $9, so unless you have a fixed price book - turnover as we all know is for vanity whilst margin will always be sanity. So if you pay commission on margin, what then happen if your project teams fails to deliver or indeed, if your own design was crap to start with?

In the UK we also have to factor in a predictable, steady salary that would support a mortgage application - many lenders wont accept commission. What also of employer pension contributions - will they contribute on bonus and commission payments?

What happens if you fall ill, what happens if your employer has supply issues for commodities you are selling? 

The whole area is a minefield - whichever side of the pond you're on. Personally, I want my sales team to be hungry, competitive and successful. Commission should be based upon margin achieved (GPM) and overall sales. But the big issue in the UK is the resentment of company directors and owners to, potentially, pay salesman a fat commission cheque that would exceed the directors own salary - which is an indication of the shortsightedness and utter stupidity of management not to acknowledge that a stellar salesman can only be an asset to any company.

With all true salesman, it is the single most emotive topic you will ever discuss, but also interesting to see how both sides of the Atlantic address it. Certainly, the US has a culture of gratuity that extends into commission balanced against the onerous employment law in the UK and EU that would protect employees against the risks of commission only.

One view I don't see being addressed (and it concerns me given the male dominated industry) is that how would a female salesperson maintain a meaningful income during maternity leave? It would be grossly unfair not to pay her a cent as the OP's methodology would suggest? 

I disagree that as time goes forward the base should shrink and commission increase. Invariably, a good salesman will go on to lead a sales team, take on more management responsibility and indeed operational delivery - they have also have proved their ability to sell at this point so the base should increase, commission reduce and bonus's be introduced commensurate with the success of their sales team and company success.

Everyone will have their own take based upon their own success and failure in the past - along with excellent and rogue employers. It also depends on what you are selling. Is it a single product in a box or a complex integrated security system?

On a personal note I get my kick from winning tenders, then following the project from concept to handover to ensure what I sold is what is delivered and margin is maintained. It's a little naive to say I do it see a smile on my customers face - I'm neither a charity or a children's entertainer. We all enjoy great service - and are will to pay for it. So with our sector its just the same. But in the reality of commercial sustainability, we must never lose track of cashflow and profitability from a successful business model that will be based upon professional sales delivery. We have a history in the UK of salespeople with little of no experience of the sector being employed by large national companies (one in particular), based upon their previous success in selling unrelated products. They promise the earth given the project delivery team an impossible mountain to climb and culminating in a disgruntled customer. Any customer will be happy if they get what was promised and what they pay for - that's all I seek.

Lone wolf or team member - that's an interesting one. I prefer to be a lone wolf who can work with or without a team. In a small company a crap salesman can not hide like they do in a larger national entity. No salesman should rely on a team for sales - but they should work together to consolidate product, region and client boundaries and present a common sales strategy enforced by a strong Sales Director. I recently tendered a job where two branches of a famous multinational bid against each other unknowingly. I won the tender they both lost - but where was the sales strategy there?

A salesman should never be "comfortable" with a salary alone - nor should they live in fear of their home being re-possessed for failed mortgage payments. They could of  course write a book on it and earn a tasty side income and push it on IPVM! Come to think of it - this posting could be chapter 1 of my book (sorry).

JH
John Honovich
Jan 03, 2018
IPVM

this really does come across as an advertorial... They could of course write a book on it and earn a tasty side income and push it on IPVM!

Tim, you're at it again! :)

To clarify, not that I think most need it, John B did not post this nor did he ask me nor pay us anything to post. I found it myself on LinkedIn, judged that it would generate good discussion, and posted it myself without even asking or discussing this with John B. Note: With 50+ comments and points for and against, it has proven to be a worthwhile topic of discussion.

Finally, I do think you raise good points especially about issues with employment law and overpromising. Thanks for that.

(1)
UI
Undisclosed Integrator #9
Jan 03, 2018

From a management perspective, we often have to turndown work a rep is persuing because the project timeline doesn't line up with available techs/resources. In my dual role as an account manager I couldnt handle a strictly commission comp plan and wouldnt expect a full time sales account executive to to that either. The high commission will come from these projects, vs a reoccurring or post sales/support revenue which will in turn be acting like a base for the commission only rep who could become fustrated when other reps close there projects first and then find out there is no more resources available for his/her project. This happens to us every summer where there is 1-2 months of jammed packed scheduling and if the customer can't wait 4-6 weeks we as reps loose out. We are not a hire and fire organization based on demand, we invest in each of our techs and prefer qaulity over quanity. And in the project based construction world you are rarely notified of an award until they want you onsite, which is way too late to start looking for temps.

Will Doherty
Jan 03, 2018
Liberty Consulting, Inc • IPVMU Certified

Commission only in this industry is tough because the sale is a technical sale. That being said commission with a draw program addresses the concerns and views in this discussion as well as what I encountered founding and running a small integration company for 9 years.  Salary is not healthy for a sales department fundamentally.  

In order for the client to be secure and to spend their money most effectively the sales person has to provide the missing components in any sales scope.  This could be as simple as choosing the widgets to as complex as stopping a sale and saying wait don't do that!  There is a better way.  

This challenge of training and keeping up with new technologies is a true cost to the business owner and commission only programs to not properly address the costs associated with it.  (There are many more costs and challenges as well.  This is just one).  A business owner should take the risk associated with a draw program because they need employees to generate revenue.  These employees need considerable company provided training.   

I do not believe money truly motivates anyone at their core.  It may be what people think motivates them however the age old expression ask someone on their death bed what they want and money is not the answer.  I believe time or some sense of more time for family, friends etc is what most people answer. 

Commission based sales people who truly understand the beauty of sales are the happiest people I have met.  In our industry add the draw component for the sake of the client.   

Looking forward to reading John's book.  If it is a good as what I am reading with his responses above it will help make more people understand why they work and get the time they need for true happiness in life.    

(1)
CS
Chris Sitter
Jan 03, 2018

Our philosophy around sales and management compensation has always been; we pay ourselves what we need (salary), and earn what we want (commission/merit). In other words a base salary that covers basic needs and is enough you can live on, pay your mortgage and put food on the table for your family, but an incentive program that rewards success (hard work). 

I don't think you can have a one size fits all, as a junior sales person is very different than a seasoned sales professional in any industry, and where one works harder and another merely smarter, yet both produce results that help them earn what they want absent that fear of what a slow month does to their base living standards. 

While I am sure some can create the right environment for commision only sales, we have never found it, not when there are still so many non-commisionable tasks that need addressing by our front line people, and agents don't feel vested in resolving your issues. Turnover for us has been what really costs, and our experience has been sales agents tend to simply follow the highest bidder, where as employees place much more value on loyalty when it's demonstarted as a two way street. That's what your base salary is really buying, a loyal employee, one that doesn't leave the moment someone waves a little more money, and one that sees cleints as ours and not just theirs.

What gets measured gets managed. I like the scaled RMR model of determining the base salary. The idea of allowing a sales professional to build and maintain his own billing deck within your book of business infastructure. Where saving a customer is just as important as finding one. Where a moving cleint is just an opportunity to make two clients. You want more than an annual cost of living adjustment to your salary? Then grow your billing deck by more than cost of living. You want a higher commision rate? Sell at a higher margin and convince the client to pay you more. If it can't be measured, it doesn't exist. Know exactly what every sales person earns you and pay accordingly.  

(1)
(2)
U
Undisclosed #2
Jan 03, 2018

Lots of excellent points.

"That's what your base salary is really buying, a loyal employee, one that doesn't leave the moment someone waves a little more money, and one that sees cleints as ours and not just theirs."

This - to me - is the key.  Build your own team, then let them go build stuff as part of your team.

"You want more than an annual cost of living adjustment to your salary? Then grow your billing deck by more than cost of living. You want a higher commision rate? Sell at a higher margin and convince the client to pay you more."

Using both inside resources (your own team) and outside resources (your personal thing-building skills) - growth occurs.  not just sales.

Sales can occur for lots of reasons.... growth of a mature region is something cultivated over years.  And a mature, well-managed region can produce bank.

(1)
JH
John Honovich
Jan 03, 2018
IPVM

Chris, thanks for an informative first comment!

a base salary that covers basic needs and is enough you can live on, pay your mortgage and put food on the table for your family

I agree that's an important point. I suspect commission only is more attractive for people who have low financial needs (e.g., a single young person) or are already very well established (i.e., don't have any need for short-term cash flow and can go for the higher upside / higher risk outcome).

UM
Jan 03, 2018

How often is it a sales person can make, or get, their own choice? For example,

1. Get base base x, get 10% commission.

or

2. No base base pay, earn 30% commission.

UI
Jan 03, 2018

I was wondering about where the crossover point would be in a scenario as you have listed, i.e. Option #1 = Base X + Commission % Y

Option #2 = No Base + Commission % Z

I have posed this question twice earlier in this string, but no one replied.

What I asked was: From either the perspective of the salesperson and/or the owner-manager, what would be the expected total compensation for:

>>> $1 million in sales at 30% GM ($300 K GP)

>>> $2 million in sales at 30% GM ($600K GP)

In either case, the total compensation, whether from base+commission, or 100% commission, would have a top ceiling.  While 100% commission scenarios carry much more risk for the salesperson and should be compensated at a higher ratio, I am looking for feedback from others on this thread.

I recently discussed a job where the commission was 2% of sales (not profits) with a fairly low base salary (say 50-ish K). The position was for an experienced security integration salesperson (10+ years experience) within an organization where some leadership was also expected as far as mentoring some younger, less experienced sales people as well as shaping the product offers and developing/overseeing a new business plan.

At $1 million at 30%, this would equate to about 70K. 

At $2 million at 30%, this would equate to about 90K.

IMO, these are way too low for the level of experience and input required/expected, especially since the company doesn't yet do 2 million in security sales as yet (they are in the fire business).

Thanks for your inout and opinions.

Brian Karas
Jan 03, 2018
IPVM

In most cases, you "back in" to the numbers for comp plans.

You start with figuring out what the total comp package should be for the kind of person you want to attract. For this, we will say you are going to go after a sales person with a total comp package of $120K OTE (on-target earnings). Further, we will assume you are going to hire 3 people for 3 separate territories, all with the same comp plan (somewhat uncommon, but it will help illustrate things, but usually comp is regional).

You decide that you will go with a 50/50 base/commission plan, because it is a common approach for the "average" security job.

That gives us a $60K base and a $60K comp, OTE (side note, commissions should never be capped, if they are that cap should be VERY high, like 3-5x quota).

In Territory 1 you have determined, through other research and planning, that there is a reasonable expectation of $1M in available business.

In Territory 2, there is $2M in available business.

In Territory 3, there is... $5M in available business.

Territory 1's package would then be $60K base and a 6% commission.

Territory 2's package would be $60K/3% commission.

Territory 3 is $60K/1.2% commission.

From here, you then start to look at how other costs (tech labor, materials, etc.) factor into how you set final price for products and services. It is common when operating on a wide scale that margins will vary among regions, but should roll up to an overall "healthy" number. They may be low in Territory 1 for example, because you think that in time Territory 1 will grow to a $10M region, where you will be paying a lower proportionate commission and making additional margin.

The base+commission plan is the norm in the security industry. If you have a commission-only plan, I would expect OTE earnings to be grossed up to account for the additional risk, probably by somewhere around 10% in total (ex: the $120K OTE package becomes $132K, and the commission on a $1M target becomes 13.2%).

Not sure if that totally answers your question or not, let me know.

To put it a different way, gross margin/gross profit is irrelevant to the sales person for purposes of computing commissions. It could be relevant though in terms of looking at the overall health of the company, future outlook, and if you want to work there.

(1)
New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions