Smart Light Bulb With Integrated IR: Would You Use This?

Ethan Ace
Dec 15, 2016

LIFX has released a controllable smart light bulb in their new Gen 3 line, simply named LIFX+, now with added infrared in addition to the white and color LEDs on past models.

They don't have any actual videos or images, but they show a "night vision" mockup on their product page:

The A19 bulb is indoor only, but the BR30s are indoor/outdoor.

What do you think about the usefulness of these bulbs? Home use? Commercial use? Any and all of the above?

Ethan Ace
Dec 15, 2016

For what it's worth, I have one of LIFX's color bulbs for about a year now. It mostly just serves as a standard bulb, but I occasionally will put it on a color cycle. The IR is interesting to supplement home cameras.

MM
Michael Miller
Dec 15, 2016

I just picked up a couple Phillps Hue bulbs and LED strips to play. How do these compare?

Ethan Ace
Dec 15, 2016

Hue doesn't do IR, for one. It also requires a hub. LIFX is wifi, no hub required (though I think they have LED strips now which have a basestation).

I haven't looked at them side by side myself, but have heard from others that LIFX is brighter on the colored LEDs than Hue.

I do have a Hue hub, but no bulbs. I have a couple of the small LED lamps I found on sale for next to nothing and decided to give them a try.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions