Mantraps Post

Brian Rhodes
Jul 11, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Dortronics released several new mantrap controllers.

Maybe 98% of all applications would use the 4300 series, 2% would use 4700 series, and 0% would use the 4900 series. Seriously? 100 plus doors in mantrap configuration?

Has anyone ever heard of using mantrapped doors in such a widespread capacity? Even for airports or prisons?

Brian Rhodes
Jul 11, 2013
IPVMU Certified

I think this post is a primer that explains why mantraps are used. I'm looking at Ethan and Grocke to help me beef this one out. This is the extent of mantrap coverage on IPVM to date:

Where have you guys installed Mantraps before?

I have in several courthouses, a county jail, and in several airports. Any manufacturers or industrial applications?

JG
John Grocke
Jul 11, 2013

Yes, I have done quite a few of them. In jails, they are also referred to as sallyports.

I have done them for courthouses, jails, police stations, an airport customs area, clean rooms and medical research laboratories. Most of them 2 doors but I have done a couple 4 door applications.

With Genetec Security Center, you can set up a mantrap without needing to use an external controller.

For other applications, I have used the older Dortronics controllers or designed them myself (some customers have some unique timing requirements, door 1 cannot be opened for X seconds before door #2) using an IDEC SmartRelay. I am planning on writing an article in the future on using SmartRelays for unique applications.

I would be glad to help with the article.

JH
John Honovich
Jul 11, 2013
IPVM

what, you don't think I know mantraps! ;)

Ethan Ace
Jul 11, 2013

I'm going to go endorse John H for mantraps on LinkedIn.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 11, 2013
IPVMU Certified

Mantraps and Fire Alarms +1

Ethan Ace
Jul 11, 2013

The only place we used mantraps was prisons. There may have been one or two in the county courthouse (but we lost that account before I started).

Oh, actually, related to the mantrap, we did have a couple of sally ports that we did, as well. Don't ask me what hardware they were running on.

CP
Carlton Purvis
Jul 11, 2013

We had one at the front door of my high school.

Brian Rhodes
Jul 11, 2013
IPVMU Certified

@Carlton - Wow! Can you share details?

• Was it a small group let in each time, or just one person?
  • Did staff 'buzz' them in, or was it automated?
  • Was CCTV involved in the mantrap?
  • Was a mantrap used for visitor management or security risk management? Both?
CP
Carlton Purvis
Jul 11, 2013

Brian, I'll try and find a picture of the door online. It's right at the front door of the school so I should be able to (Northeast Highschool in Clarksville,TN).

• Was it a small group let in each time, or just one person?

About five people could fit inside of it at a time.

• Did staff 'buzz' them in, or was it automated? Was CCTV involved in the mantrap?

You had to be buzzed in by staff. You'd press a button and look into a camera. The entry area was all glass so they could also see you from the front office too. They could buzz you out to exit, but there was a push to exit button as well.

• Was a mantrap used for visitor management or security risk management? Both?

I think both. Before 7am people could come in and out through any door in the school (there were several wings and probably a dozen doors), but after 7 all doors but the front door were locked until school let out again.

New discussion

Ask questions and get answers to your physical security questions from IPVM team members and fellow subscribers.

Newest discussions